TheSnowball

How to pronounce things from Kritiks?

Hey all,

I've been working a lot lately with philosophy and K arguments. There are a lot of things I don't know how to pronounce. I don't want to go into the year talking about "Deleyuze and Gueatari" or however you pronound Zizek (Jijek?) so I wanted to ask you.

Things I've wondered about.

Deleuze and Guattari

Homo Sacer

Baurdrillard

Zizek

Foucalt (Only because it's French)

And any other helpful/weird ones you can think of.

Thanks,

Rniv

Foucault: Foo-koe'  (At least, I'm assuming the philosopher pronounced his name identically to the physicist of the same last name)

Homo Sacer: Hoe'-moe sah-sir'  (should be if my latin pronunciation isn't failing me.  May depend on whether you church latin or not, but i'm not Catholic and couldn't tell you if it would matter).

Baudrillard: ~Boe'-dree-ar'.  Maybe Boo-dree-ar depending on dialect.  With a hint of 'y' where the 'll' is.

Gilles Deleuze: jzeel' deh-luze'. Should be close.    (i'm flailing for a way to represent that first sound to English speakers. Think a soft g vaguely as in gentle, and then slur it like you were making a 'z' sound?)

Basic l2french rules:

-long i = 'ee'

-don't pronounce the last consonant.  Pretty much ever.  If the last consonant is an n, you still get the nasalization of the vowel (but lose any other trace of it).  (Note: a vowel after the last consonant means the consonant isn't terminal, and you should pronounce it).

-slur your terminal consonant from one word into the start of the next if it begins with a vowel. (called liaison - lee-ay-zoh(n)).  This replaces the drop the consonant rule (it shows up at the start of the next word when this occurs) 

-g is usually soft and like in Gilles.  n is usually nasalized.

-not all double vowels are long.  See "pain" (bread) ~ 'pahn' (pretty much 'pah-in' with the two syllables slurred into one).  Remember to follow the 'don't pronounce consonants rule, so you pretty much drop the n except for the nasal part.

Can't help you with zizek, although i assume its some approximation of djih-djek, but that's just guessing.

Edit: altered Baudrillard and Deleuze for clarity.  

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

how to speak with a french accent: move your lips like you have a little bit of peanut butter in the sides of your mouth, put a lot of exhaled breath into your vowels

Don't worry, there will always be that one high horse linguistics/philosophy major judge who will have the urge to correct you on every word you mispronounced 

My freshman year I was yelled at every round for Keynes. People would tell me it's Keens and then the next round it's Kains.

Moral of the story, tell them their despotic control of language is fascist.

• Upvote 3

Zizek= somewhere between zhi-zhek and dj-djek. Not too hard, like the latter, but not too soft, like the former.

Foucault= Foo-coh, not that hard.

Baudrillard= Bow (as in taking a bow)-dree-yard

Baudrillard= Bow (as in taking a bow)-dree-yard

This is certifiably wrong.  On two points.  And I'm realizing I was ambiguous on the first syllable.  (It's bow as in bow-and-arrow, not as in take a bow.)  Altering my representation in the earlier post for clarity.

Edited by Squirrelloid

This is certifiably wrong.  On two points.  And I'm realizing I was ambiguous on the first syllable.  (It's bow as in bow-and-arrow, not as in take a bow.)  Altering my representation in the earlier post for clarity.

I also think the d is silent.

Homo Sacer: Hoe'-moe sah-sir'  (should be if my latin pronunciation isn't failing me.  May depend on whether you church latin or not, but i'm not Catholic and couldn't tell you if it would matter).

I would pronounce it "sah-ker" having taken 4 years of latin, but we used the old, pre-church pronunciations. Either one would be fine in this context most likely

• Upvote 1

I pronounce Don Quixote as Don Kee-Hoe'-Tee, and Quixotic as Kee-ot'-ic.  I pronounce Qatar, Kah-Tarr'

And Angela Merkel isn't a geometry component.

Hamilton Jerr'-dan?  Ha!  I won't pronounce Jor'-dan as Jer'-dan unless I am going to say his first name is Hay'-umm, because I don't have a southern accent.

I once heard a full-of-himself sportscaster Bob Starr pronounce the abbreviation for designated hitter as dee-haich.  Honest.  I wonder if he pronounces E.F. Hutton as EEE Feff Hutton.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda

Read the comments of the video, it's Kuh-Tar not kutter

I'm telling you as an Arab who speaks the language and regularly works with Qattari academics that you could not be more wrong.