iwasadebateronce

In Response to the State of West Texas Debate - We Got the Last Laugh

Sounds like someones angry they sucked at debate (and didn't do anything to change that)

Edit 1: Most of us do read "more than just Foucault and Nietzsche" and use them in debate, maybe it's because you were "never really good" that you were never exposed, or rather incentivized to do more research on, things like ableism and the such; but in the much more higher, competitive debate, the kids participating in that are probably already at a college level in terms of interpretation and the sorts. 

I think you're just whining because you didn't get exposed to the same things the higher level debaters did back in High School and you had to wait until college to get more into critical theory and philosophy. 

Congratulations on what you've accomplished though; but please get off your high horse and do some research before postings things like this up 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I strickly used examples of argumentation. And those are just two examples that happen to be useless. I'm not an ignorant dumbass as you seem to be, but I know symbolic exchange was a popular case on the Latin American topic. It was indeed pointless. I've done my research. I was around four years, my college roommate was a debater from Plano, I've been on the national circuit and I happen to judge frequently in the I-35 corridor around DFW and Austin now. I strictly did this for practical encouragement for my part of the state and to address a true real world problem. Not to complain, but the lack of true argumentation and evidence in your response to refute what I was truly saying about you not being prepared for the slap in the face the real world gives you was exactly my point. I hope you get your evidence first next time you respond because I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken.

There's the high horse; and the lack of evidence from YOUR part, if we're sticking to your neoliberal logic, means that what you said should also be thrown out the window, albeit that is what you're implying. I could give two shits what you claim to have done, or who you claim to be, but as it stands you too have not provided any type of "evidence" and examples are not "evidence" inasmuch as we are assuming "true argumentation" (what makes something a "true argumentation" is there a question of authenticity at play? Does this not mean, therefore, that only things with evidence are true? Does this not rule out a priori knowledge as such? All these questions and more answered on your next jack ass post). 

I think every debater understands the "real world" and I never claimed you were a dumb ass; I merely responded with the same passive aggressive manner as you did; rather that your lack of experience in debate while you were in High School meant that you developed a sense of the debate space that was not descriptive of the debate activity as a whole, and assuming public spaces develop in relation to every individual, debate as such is never just one interpretation.

I have never seen a debater project the type of Icarus Complex you outline above; maybe it's something specific to the Texas region, but debaters around the United States are, mostly, genuinely friendly and work hard to get where they're at. What debate teaches you primarily is that if you want something you need to work hard for it, and even if this is a capitalist ethic, it holds true to your adulation for the lack of what you claim to be "real world experiences." Debaters are not stupid, and I'm pretty sure nearl everybody has at least SOME knowledge on Baudrillard - and I don't see how you were exposed to Symbolic Exchange during the Latin America topic as only a handful of teams were running that - in order to stay on the meta-level of the activity. I will agree on the fact that most of the philosophy we learn in debate amounts to mere intellectual masturbation, that's true and I love that part of debate. I love knowledge. Philosophers such as Deleuze and Baudrillard are only described in some areas of the academy; while there are, and you identified this correctly, other more prominent thinkers who are much more intellectually attractive to oneself, but you cannot throw out of the window so quickly the level of aptitude necessary in order to understand some of these works. Indeed, who reads Deleuze at the high school level if not debaters? Interpretation aside, the amount of intellectual training/rumination that goes on as such because of debate prepares us to tackle what you identify as the "real world." Is not debate the real world? Do we not compete with each other for achievement? I think debate is much more part of the real world than you give it credit for and I think the first thing you should do is revise your perspective on debate by watching how it operates as a whole, not in specific regions. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 2

About time we had a debate copypasta

So welcome to real world, hope you know I got the last laugh cause I got the heck out of there, have an internship at the US Supreme Court next summer and am doing very fine. I'm laughing all the way to my college degree and my future multi-million dollar career because all you ever learned to do was debate and can't do anything elsewhere. So I hope you get fulfillment out of it, and West Texas kids I promise these people will always conspire against you, but just remember you know how to be a real person, you learned morals and values and true sophistication. So while you may lose at the hands of those douches, just remember do your thing and stick to being an ethical, resourceful, and truly intelligent human being and you'll have the last laugh like me.

This was my favorite part, actually pretty funny

But really if you're some kid in college, what are you doing being a condescending jerk to 17-year-olds on a half-dead internet forum? You know you're insulting kids because they play a game different than you played it, right?

• Upvote 8

Yes, I hate to break your sorry little hearts but after my tenure at college thus far, even studying philosophy, there are must more practical things to discuss than Foucault or Nietzsche. [...] You never have and never will care to study Martha Nussbaum and her adaptation of John Rawls' Theory of Justice to those who are mentally and physically disabled. 

Not to disqualify your impressive "tenure at college thus far", but I like Foucault, Nietzsche, and Nussbaum, and I was at the conference where she got caught fucking Amartya Sen in an elevator. 

So I'll see your salty post and raise you Nussbaum's naked nuss-bum.

• Upvote 7

So welcome to real world, hope you know I got the last laugh cause I got the heck out of there, have an internship at the US Supreme Court next summer 

I missed this first read - this is too good. The United States Supreme Court doesn't take staff unless they have a Juris Doctor and a distinguished career. Y'no, because they're the Supreme fucking Court and they can do that.

Somehow "some college" is probably low on the SCOTUS's background qualification scale. 

• Upvote 4

Y'all aren't the real MVPs, y'all are the real Thug-erys

wait is this a satire account because I'm literally cry-laughing right now. some salty ass white boy tryna sound hard.

• Upvote 2

also I fucking love pokemon. if debate is like pokemon....then double yay debate?

• Upvote 2

lmfao i almost wrote "this better be some 'lolol i trole u' shit" the other day and didn't wanna be mean. See where that gets me

I have never seen a debater project the type of Icarus Complex you outline above; maybe it's something specific to the Texas region, but debaters around the United States are, mostly, genuinely friendly and work hard to get where they're at. What debate teaches you primarily is that if you want something you need to work hard for it, and even if this is a capitalist ethic, it holds true to your adulation for the lack of what you claim to be "real world experiences." Debaters are not stupid, and I'm pretty sure nearl everybody has at least SOME knowledge on Baudrillard - and I don't see how you were exposed to Symbolic Exchange during the Latin America topic as only a handful of teams were running that - in order to stay on the meta-level of the activity. I will agree on the fact that most of the philosophy we learn in debate amounts to mere intellectual masturbation, that's true and I love that part of debate. I love knowledge. Philosophers such as Deleuze and Baudrillard are only described in some areas of the academy; while there are, and you identified this correctly, other more prominent thinkers who are much more intellectually attractive to oneself, but you cannot throw out of the window so quickly the level of aptitude necessary in order to understand some of these works. Indeed, who reads Deleuze at the high school level if not debaters? Interpretation aside, the amount of intellectual training/rumination that goes on as such because of debate prepares us to tackle what you identify as the "real world." Is not debate the real world? Do we not compete with each other for achievement? I think debate is much more part of the real world than you give it credit for and I think the first thing you should do is revise your perspective on debate by watching how it operates as a whole, not in specific regions. 

Just saying but not all of us are jerks ya know...

Duh Bait ladies gentleman and non-binary people 

Apologies for stupidity but how exactly does one become non-binary?

iwasadebateronce, on 11 Jun 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:snapback.png

Y'all aren't the real MVPs, y'all are the real Thug-erys

<Insert Thug Life Joke Here> And going by Schopenhauer's logic, being a thug (which can mean brute, cut me some slack), that's an excellent thing. So thank you.

• Upvote 1

<Insert Thug Life Joke Here> And going by Schopenhauer's logic, being a thug (which can mean brute, cut me some slack), that's an excellent thing. So thank you.

stop

Not to disqualify your impressive "tenure at college thus far", but I like Foucault, Nietzsche, and Nussbaum, and I was at the conference where she got caught fucking Amartya Sen in an elevator

So I'll see your salty post and raise you Nussbaum's naked nuss-bum.

wait, what?

• Upvote 1

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

wait, what?

Yep. Didn't see it myself but them fucking is the least hidden secret in the polisci community

Someone should post the original of the rant, i'd love to see what's on it

• Upvote 2

One just is, one does not become.

Deleuze-2726.jpg

one is always becoming

• Upvote 3