BReid

NSDA Nats & Scholarship Opportunities

Hi all. My name is Ben Reid. I’m a graduate assistant and coach at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL. We are beginning our recruiting for the coming school year at NSDA Nationals next week. We are seeking two new debaters to compete on scholarship for SIU. At SIU, we compete primarily on the national circuit for NPDA/NPTE style parliamentary debate. It’s true that parli is a bit different from CX, but, at its core, parli debates are generally very similar to CX debates. We read the same arguments (DAs, Ks, CPs, T, Framework, and so on) as in policy, but with a few structural differences.

Debaters at SIU are well taken care of, with debate scholarships covering full tuition, and providing a $3000 stipend to cover other expenses. We put a great deal of emphasis on success in the classroom. We are primarily seeking motivated, hard-working students with experience in high school CX debate, though prospects experience primarily in other forms of debate are welcome.

We have a highly successful program, having won the NPTE National Championship (think the NDT) in 2015, 2013, and 2008, and winning the NPDA National Championship (more like CEDA) in 2013, and 2014.

If you’d like to know more about SIU, NPDA/NPTE style debate, or the SIU squad in particular, feel free to reach out. Recent high school policy debaters connected to SIU that you may know include Josh Rivera (Lane Tech High School), a recent graduate and four-time national champion, and Bobby Swetz, an incoming first-year student recently graduated from Homewood-Flossmoor. I can be reached at ben.e.reid@siu.edu. Our director, Dr. Todd Graham, will be at NSDA this week. If you’d like to meet with him, contact him at TGraham@siu.edu.