jenxtang

speech and debate showcase

hey all, my team was kinda planning on having a speech and debate showcase and i was wondering if any other schools have done so before and if so, how exactly was it executed, what was showcased, etc?

I'd recommend a few things not to show first

a. Don't showcase spreading. People are rather closed minded to these kinds of things and spreading isn't going to get gasps of amazement. Parent's are gonna think "I don't want my kids in something like this".

b. Don't showcase kritiks, same as above. A lot of people don't like the idea of capitalism being criticized or that we're affirming terrorism as a good thing.

a. Unless your policy team is really good and with a huge win streak throughout the year, it actually might be best not to proactively showcase it. It's rather unique with a separate culture that nobody else seems to understand. Like, have you seen how much people hate us? 

Things you would want to showcase

a. People like pofo. It fits their ideal image of debate and if you want support from the school or community, this is number one for popularity. (Though if your school is like mines, nobody cares about debate no matter what you do cause you're not a sport or connected to one)

b. Shiny trophies are always a lovely thing to show.

c. This is one of the few places where everybody including policy can shine in which you make a great big speech on how good everybody is at researching.

I'm sorry on how pessimistic this post was, but in all honesty, that's how almost all communities work. A lot of people hate policy teams for no other reason apart from the fact that we're "too fast" and "hippies/sjw's". Focus on showcasing the others first and if people really warm up to it, show off policy a tiny bit at a time.

Edit: Actually, if you're in one of the circuits that despise kritiks and spreading, then policy would be okay. Make a little miniature demonstration debate that's hyper shortened and then show off how in depth each debater went.

Edited by rnakg1234
  • Upvote 1

First things first, have both teams prep out what they're gonna say and ask in CX. 

Put a bunch of trophies on the tables with a podium in the middle, and have everyone dress professionally.

The speeches (assuming a policy demonstration) should be short (probably 3 minutes) with maybe one short logical advantage and solvency. Then maybe have a minute of CX and then a short neg response. Maybe two minutes of a DA (again, more reasonable than standard policy, no extinction scenarios) and a minute of case. Then another minute of CX. 

• Upvote 1

At our school, we had a forensics showcase instead of a debate showcase because forensics events are shorter (about 10 minutes each) and more fun to watch than a full-on debate, which can get quite boring, so I'm not sure how helpful this will be.

In our showcase, we had two emcees who made jokes before and after each performance about the piece and the competitors, and that got the audience involved and having fun. For example, one piece was called "A Beautiful Mind," and they kept making jokes referring to it as "A Beautiful Mime" and "A Beautiful Mine."

The showcase lasted two days, one on Thursday after school from 7-9, and one on Friday after school from 3-5. We had different performers perform on each day.

We generally have our showcase in a small theater in the school. This helps because it's small enough that we don't need a mic, but big enough so that there is room for everyone.

In order to raise money, we had someone at a table outside the entrance to the theater handing out tickets. Although the tickets were free, there was a recommended donation of $10, so people felt obligated to buy the tickets.

Here is the flyer that we emailed out about the showcase, if this helps at all: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_uylPbYleUTdTl2QWdCWEtfY0k/edit

A note as to why you can't charge for showcases (in forensics): if you're charging then technically you have to pay royalties for the plays etc. that are being performed. This is why we did recommended donation, because it's technically illegal to charge for a forensics showcase. (yay copyright law)