kylerbuckner

Militarization impacts

What would be the best way to impact out militarization? 

If anybody knows of some articles  that I could cut, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by kylerbuckner

I don't think their is a larger impact to that. you should just say that policing is a form of structural violence which kills people and that is bad (Schepher-Hughes would go well here... you obvie dont solve all struc vio but it acts as a framing card that says your impact matters and outweighs big impacts).

I don't think their is a larger impact to that. you should just say that policing is a form of structural violence which kills people and that is bad (Schepher-Hughes would go well here... you obvie dont solve all struc vio but it acts as a framing card that says your impact matters and outweighs big impacts).

what does Schepher-Hughes say?

The state (specifically policing/police force become militarized)

Two ways you want to frame militarization:

1- causes war.  Duh.  But you'd be surprised how many people don't go for this type of impact to militarization.

2- structural violence.  There's that Mumia Abu-Jamal card that you can use as framing evidence.  Maybe Cuomo as well.  The basic idea is that big events like war aren't the only bad things that happen.  There is an on-going war being waged because of stuff like militarized police forces that kill black kids on the daily, etc.

• Upvote 1

Two ways you want to frame militarization:

1- causes war.  Duh.  But you'd be surprised how many people don't go for this type of impact to militarization.

2- structural violence.  There's that Mumia Abu-Jamal card that you can use as framing evidence.  Maybe Cuomo as well.  The basic idea is that big events like war aren't the only bad things that happen.  There is an on-going war being waged because of stuff like militarized police forces that kill black kids on the daily, etc.

Do you know where those articles are? 

Edited by kylerbuckner

Read "The New Jim Crow." It's mostly a critical analysis of the justice system in relation to the black body with an emphasis on the "War on Drugs," but if i remember correctly there is a chapter concerning the way that the police are given incentives to become more militarized, which leads to further systemic oppression through the criminal justice system. 
I don't know if it's evidence-worthy, but the book is definitely quality and an exceptional read even if not for the evidence.

And generic militarization impacts should be in openevidence security Kritiks. They generally come out to increased risk of war and escalation, justification for oppression, with value to life arguments spinning off of that, but my favorite argument spinning off of militarization was along the lines of militarization requires absolute conformity eliminating identity, and reducing the world to a standing reserve, but I doubt I could find the card again. It was quality, but I had trouble getting the text onto a word doc and lost the file somewhere along the way.

Read "The New Jim Crow." It's mostly a critical analysis of the justice system in relation to the black body with an emphasis on the "War on Drugs," but if i remember correctly there is a chapter concerning the way that the police are given incentives to become more militarized, which leads to further systemic oppression through the criminal justice system. 

I don't know if it's evidence-worthy, but the book is definitely quality and an exceptional read even if not for the evidence.

And generic militarization impacts should be in openevidence security Kritiks. They generally come out to increased risk of war and escalation, justification for oppression, with value to life arguments spinning off of that, but my favorite argument spinning off of militarization was along the lines of militarization requires absolute conformity eliminating identity, and reducing the world to a standing reserve, but I doubt I could find the card again. It was quality, but I had trouble getting the text onto a word doc and lost the file somewhere along the way.

link?

Check out your non-violence K file.

Also, there was a militarization critique run on the peacekeeping topic.  Not sure there is a ZIP file of that somewhere.

You might also check out environmental securitization and securitization files.