[Surveillance Topic] Small aff ideas

Does anyone have any ideas for smaller affirmatives that would make for an interesting debate?

"If it's too small for my DA to link, I'll just read substantial T!" - Unimaginative teams 

• Upvote 2

I don't want to give away the Aff I'm working on, but one hint I will give--if you want to run an unexpected policy Aff, think about areas of federal government surveillance not conducted by the military or police. The DoEd, EPA, IRS, and FDA are just a few federal agencies that engage in some form of surveillance that can be attacked on consequential and moral grounds. Are national standardized tests a form of domestic surveillance? Probably :)

I don't want to give away the Aff I'm working on, but one hint I will give--if you want to run an unexpected policy Aff, think about areas of federal government surveillance not conducted by the military or police. The DoEd, EPA, IRS, and FDA are just a few federal agencies that engage in some form of surveillance that can be attacked on consequential and moral grounds. Are national standardized tests a form of domestic surveillance? Probably :)

I don't see how national standardized tests are gonna have much of an impact though; maybe something philosophical, but in terms of regular old policy debate, I don't think there'll be a lot of impacts. 

"If it's too small for my DA to link, I'll just read substantial T!" - Unimaginative teams 

I prefer running significance myself

• Upvote 2

I don't see how national standardized tests are gonna have much of an impact though; maybe something philosophical, but in terms of regular old policy debate, I don't think there'll be a lot of impacts.

Tell that to everyone who used "education failure -> economic decline or loss of heg -> nuke war" on the 99-00 high school education topic :)

If you can tie a policy to economic decline, you can claim a significant policy impact. There's also an "endangered species act related surveillance causes perverse incentives, harms BioD" impact story, an "IRS surveillance abuse -> civil war" story, and a "prescription drug use surveillance -> poor medical treatment -> large amounts of pain, suffering, and death" story.

• Upvote 3

Here are a few ideas

https://www.aclu.org/issues/national-security/privacy-and-surveillance/surveillance-other-agencies 

EDIT: Also, I know someone our squad scrimmaged ran a 'decrease HIV surveillance' aff w/ Biopower and Stigma advantages. I thought that was pretty interesting. I'm guessing smaller affs like this will be prevalent and the T defense for it i

Edited by kylerbuckner

The problem with the rez is "domestic surveillance" isn't a term of art. That means anything that surveilles something in the us is T

That is the thing . I'd honestly not giving much hints but certain portions of the patriot act give y'all give you about all the different advantage ground you can get . Two ideas for killer impacts and internal link ground - is the idea of how survaillance is determinal to creativity and that creativity is quite good for things such as science , and how also research and devlopment effects our economy . AS well to that just thinking - for those who wanna repeal the NSA - why do Advantage Counterplans with reform center and a terror da seem to be very common

The Customs and Border Patrol's 100 mile constitutional free zone.....maybe topical?

What if "someone" ran extra t???

• Upvote 1

What if "someone" ran extra t???

First CX question would be "how would you answer extra T"

My 2AR answer would just be  "T should be a reverse voting issue" 

First CX question would be "how would you answer extra T"

My 2AR answer would just be  "T should be a reverse voting issue" 

Can confirm 10/10 best strat vs. T. 

• Upvote 3