kylerbuckner

Foucault on Surveillance

So I have seen on here where people have said that Foucault would be applicable on aff and on neg. Now I know that  "Surveillance = Biopower" is how he is applicable on aff, but how is his work going to be used as a K on neg? 

EDIT: Aside from impact and advantage links that risk an obvious link turn. 

Edited by kylerbuckner

Biopower is productive. Power not only surrounds you and is in you, but is manipulated by you. you can use suveillence positively. So for example, if their aff is "stop asking for gender/racial identity on welfare sheets because it is biopower, you could say it is productive because it allows for law to be used to target certain populations with assistance.

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency
  • Upvote 1

Foucault also theorizes biopower as one governing oneself. One could argue that reducing material government surveillance would leave people surveilling themselves ie when you remove the guards from the center of the panopticon the prisoners still watch themselves.

People perceive surveillance as a form of security and individuals perceiving a decrease in that may begin to watch one another or surveille themselves. 

Foucault specifically discusses this in a neoliberal where reductions in government control of the market facilitate biopower through an assumption of a market subjectivity that allows individuals action to be governed through the invisible hand of the market. This isnt the same as surveillance, but the theory loosely applies.

Biopower is productive. Power not only surrounds you and is in you, but is manipulated by you. you can use suveillence positively. So for example, if their aff is "stop asking for gender/racial identity on welfare sheets because it is biopower, you could say it is productive because it allows for law to be used to target certain populations with assistance.

I don't think saying "Biopower is productive " is correct; to me it seems more like "power is productive" explains power as such. Power being used positively is Biopower (one could argue), whereas power being used negatively would be Sovereign Power.

That, to me, seems more in line to what Foucault is saying as power is an affective substance that structures our relations.

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

Listen to Partially Examined Life episode 49 (http://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com/2012/01/11/episode-49-foucault-on-power-and-punishment/). This is my favorite analysis of Foucault I've ever found, and is quite understandable. It's long, but it lays out the basis of most of the Foucault literature that will be read next year, and is a much more realistic analysis than the hyper-reductionist versions of his theories that most people present in debate.

Edited by EndlessFacepalm
  • Upvote 1

Listen to Partially Examined Life episode 49 (http://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com/2012/01/11/episode-49-foucault-on-power-and-punishment/). This is my favorite analysis of Foucault I've ever found, and is quite understandable. It's long, but it lays out the basis of most of the Foucault literature that will be read next year, and is a much more realistic analysis than the hyper-reductionist versions of his theories that most people present in debate.

Can confirm 10/10 BEST

• Upvote 1

y'all got this wrong. Foucault doesnt write about surveillance. Biopower is renewable energy. 

• Upvote 6