yeet

Arrrrrrrrrr!?

Avast me hardies, as I was diggin' through me old booty i found the good ol' pirates affirmative, but parrrrrrrts of it arrrrrrrrrrre quite harrrrrrrrrrrrrd to understand for an ol' pirate like me self with no literacy skills. The affirmative has evidence from the great pirates Deleuze, Guattarrrrrrrrrrrrri, Kuhn, etc. It would be great if one of ye' scurvy dogs would explain the gist of the aff to me. 

Kind Regarrrrrrrds,

Captain Yeet.

Deleuze Pirates Georgetown 2014.docx

• Upvote 2

Smooth/Striated are descriptive terms

I think that post-Oklahoma CL, a lot of teams have started, albeit egregiously, running affect theory. Although true (in the way it's being described with this affirmative), I doubt somebody running a camp aff, that's not the same person who cut it, can explain affect theory sufficiently.

If anything you could use the terms striated/smooth to describe the movements of the post-fascist war-machine; which is the "real" impact they isolate

But if you insist on the need for an explanation, add me on FB and I'll message you - just know I'm no Steven Murray or Sam Gustavson

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

Right, so affect* is connected to desire and 'becomings.' Becomings, generally speaking, are changes in a subject, ie a change in way of being in the world.** The idea here is that smooth space isn't regulated, so before all these nasty governments and such got involved in the exploration business the sea was just this vast area of potential, you could go places and see things and experience stuff without being regulated by maps and lines and stuff. Now the ocean is divvied up and 'managed' or exploited or whatever, cut into nice little pieces for use in shipping, the flow of capital, military exercises, etc. There's a bit of an internal link jump here, but the idea is that this management (similar to Foucault's idea of biopolitics and biopolitical management) is fascism, specifically microfasicm, which is internalized control and based in modes of thought. The idea is that if we bureaucratically regulate life this is the kind of thought and approach to stuff that the Nazis did when they were regulating their populace and stuff like that. Generally speaking, fascism is a restriction of desire that prevents becomings, or changes. The Kuhn book says we should not do that and we should be free pirates who never ever would make maps or block becomings by killing and doing other things to people, because like  they're not the state and fought against it (uhhh...quite a few were privateers working under the state's employ...) and some didn't own slaves or something like that. 

Anyways, that's my oversimplified and snarky explanation, but since this (oceans) topic is over, are you interested in DnG from a 'running it' standpoint or a 'beating it' standpoint.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affect_%28philosophy%29#In_Deleuze_and_Guattari

**http://www.rhizomes.net/issue5/poke/glossary.html

• Upvote 2

Right, so affect* is connected to desire and 'becomings.' Becomings, generally speaking, are changes in a subject, ie a change in way of being in the world.** The idea here is that smooth space isn't regulated, so before all these nasty governments and such got involved in the exploration business the sea was just this vast area of potential, you could go places and see things and experience stuff without being regulated by maps and lines and stuff. Now the ocean is divvied up and 'managed' or exploited or whatever, cut into nice little pieces for use in shipping, the flow of capital, military exercises, etc. There's a bit of an internal link jump here, but the idea is that this management (similar to Foucault's idea of biopolitics and biopolitical management) is fascism, specifically microfasicm, which is internalized control and based in modes of thought. The idea is that if we bureaucratically regulate life this is the kind of thought and approach to stuff that the Nazis did when they were regulating their populace and stuff like that. Generally speaking, fascism is a restriction of desire that prevents becomings, or changes. The Kuhn book says we should not do that and we should be free pirates who never ever would make maps or block becomings by killing and doing other things to people, because like  they're not the state and fought against it (uhhh...quite a few were privateers working under the state's employ...) and some didn't own slaves or something like that. 

Anyways, that's my oversimplified and snarky explanation, but since this (oceans) topic is over, are you interested in DnG from a 'running it' standpoint or a 'beating it' standpoint.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affect_%28philosophy%29#In_Deleuze_and_Guattari

**http://www.rhizomes.net/issue5/poke/glossary.html

Doesn't explain what affect is; affect is simply the ability to transform.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh also, this aff does not have any internal links to impacts. The first few cards are just descriptions of the ocean as it relates to striation and smoothing of spaces, then just drops the microfascism card without an explanation of how smooth/striated would be bad, and no reason either causes microfascism.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't explain what affect is; affect is simply the ability to transform.

Good thing I linked to a definition of affect in the context of DnG then right?

• Upvote 2

Good thing I linked to a definition of affect in the context of DnG then right?

I missed that haha

Edit: have +2

Edited by BobbyS

Smooth/Striated are descriptive terms

I think that post-Oklahoma CL, a lot of teams have started, albeit egregiously, running affect theory. Although true (in the way it's being described with this affirmative), I doubt somebody running a camp aff, that's not the same person who cut it, can explain affect theory sufficiently.

If anything you could use the terms striated/smooth to describe the movements of the post-fascist war-machine; which is the "real" impact they isolate

But if you insist on the need for an explanation, add me on FB and I'll message you - just know I'm no Steven Murray or Sam Gustavson

Hey I know a guy that is a Sam Gustavson

Bruh , their is many issues the way this aff was formatted . I read thorugh this aff just because my novices found it , and wanted to run it . ALONG with the first few things that everyone has been saying , I think you should honestly read some portions of Deluze and Guttari's Thousand Plateaus :

http://projectlamar.com/media/A-Thousand-Plateaus.pdf

read the introduction , Micropolitics and Segementary ,TREATISE ON NOMADOLOGY—THE WAR MACHINE,APPARATUS OF CAPTURE . These sections help you understand the terminology of deluze and guttari , then from their you can mabye fix that aff yourself 

Hey I know a guy that is a Sam Gustavson

Cool, he's an amazing debater; he's actually the person who inspired me to go into Deleuze and Guattari. After watching his amazing round against C.K. McClatchy SH at Round 1 of the 2013 ToC; I was amazed and started looking into Deleuze and Guattari.

• Upvote 1

Cool, he's an amazing debater; he's actually the person who inspired me to go into Deleuze and Guattari. After watching his amazing round against C.K. McClatchy SH at Round 1 of the 2013 ToC; I was amazed and started looking into Deleuze and Guattari.

Fun fact he believes 9/11 was an inside job. (cause it was)