OceanDebater

NSDA Nationals

Just some questions to the overall debate community concerning NSDA nationals, specifically in policy debate.

1. We are a paper team, and don't plan on bringing laptops.  Will that mess up our rounds?  Will the other team provide a viewing laptop if they're paperless- is that a "rule"?
  2. How traditional/progressive are the rounds?  Or is it a hit or miss, half/half type tournament?  What do the judge paradigm sheets look like and what info do they include?

if its policy, its hit or miss; you will have half of your rounds be really lay and the other might be policy. After 6 rounds i believe teams will be eliminated and you will likely face more policy types of judges. Judging paradigms are posted on the website but you will frequently get coahces of other forms of debate formats or a really policymaker sorta judge if its a policy judge.

We are a paper team, and don't plan on bringing laptops.  Will that mess up our rounds?  Will the other team provide a viewing laptop if they're paperless- is that a "rule"?

It's not even a "rule" that you have to provide any ev to anyone (some team tried to troll us at nat quals). In general, I'm assuming that if you don't have a laptop, most people are probably going to give you one of there's. I don't know of too many people who really carry around a viewing laptop. 

How traditional/progressive are the rounds?  Or is it a hit or miss, half/half type tournament?  What do the judge paradigm sheets look like and what info do they include?

Prelims is more hit or miss with what kind of judge you have, but that doesn't mean that they're lay judges or that they're not good judges. For the most part, prelims for us last year was fairly progressive with the judging, with a few more traditional judges mixed in. The further you go in outrounds the more progressive the judging pool seems to get. 

Edited by CodyGustafson
  • Upvote 1

Just some questions to the overall debate community concerning NSDA nationals, specifically in policy debate.

1. We are a paper team, and don't plan on bringing laptops.  Will that mess up our rounds?  Will the other team provide a viewing laptop if they're paperless- is that a "rule"?
  2. How traditional/progressive are the rounds?  Or is it a hit or miss, half/half type tournament?  What do the judge paradigm sheets look like and what info do they include?

1. On the advent of laptops the viewing computer was considered a courtesy that everyone did, but recently with so few teams going paper, I often don't see anyone carrying around a computer unless they really really don't want you to steal their evidence (which is rare).

Slightly unrelated, I remember one year a team near us (I think it was Pembroke Hill -- they don't exist anymore as a team) would give our teams very crappy viewing computers that were barely functional just to piss the opposing team off. We then gave them iPads as our viewing computers.

We then gave them iPads as our viewing computers.

Jesuit used to do that (like my sophomore year) and those things were just more of an inconvenience than flashing. The things people used to go through to ensure that people didn't steal their ev...

The things people used to go through to ensure that people didn't steal their ev...

Lol, high school evidence is really not that good. 

• Upvote 1

As far as the second question is concerned, what I have noticed in coaching several teams at NSDA is that in prelims the goal seems to be to give you two judges with different styles to make the rounds more equitable (e.g. imagine what would happen if a traditional Missouri team debated Glenbrook South with judges from, say, Texas and California -- the Missouri team is then looking at a huge uphill climb).  Then after six preset rounds (so you can either get really lucky or really shafted), all teams with eight ballots clear to the double-elimination portion of the tournament.  In the handful of elim rounds I have judged, it seems to be more oriented to what the majority of the circuit community would consider policy debate, but outliers on both sides can be found.

• Upvote 1

Jesuit used to do that (like my sophomore year) and those things were just more of an inconvenience than flashing. The things people used to go through to ensure that people didn't steal their ev...

yeah in the early days of paperless that happened a lot but I never really experienced it because I didn't go to really competitive tournaments until last year. I mostly just heard stories back in 2010.