KritikallySound

Dressing Up for Tournaments

Hey, does anyone else feel that the need to be in a full suit for 2 days is about much. Not that I don't (at times) mind doing it, but rather that it requires so much maintenance. Is there a way that we can slowly start becoming more casual like Nat Circuits? 

lol, I'm the douche at nat circuit tournies who wore jeans, a hoodie, and a snapback

dress how you want, if the judge is cool with it, then debate is more about performance not the way you look

Edited by aram
  • Upvote 2

Honestly, I used to dress up,but for my last few tournaments I didn't, showed up in some black pants and a shirt, kind of like in my profile pic. Most judges didn't care, but one lay judge shouted at me (I reported him and got him kicked out the judging pool) but there's no reason the activity should be restricted to appearance, it is about performance.

I mean there are less privileged debaters that can't necessarily afford suits or formal wear, so judges shouldn't be discriminating or caling people out in the first place, it makes it a hostile and unsafe space for less privileged debaters. 

I say go for it, screw lay judges, screw the norm, wear whatever the hell you want and perform 

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme
  • Upvote 3

lol, I'm the douche at nat circuit tournies who wore jeans, a hoodie, and a snapback

dress how you want, if the judge is cool with it, then debate is more about performance not the way you look

Same, I never dress up 

Just pray you don't have a lay judge. 

Haven't encountered one yet lmao 

• Upvote 1

Just pray you don't have a lay judge. 

It's not just lay judges, it's (at least for eMO) a vast majority of the coaches that believe not "dressing up" is disrespectful. Pissing off coaches is not fun (trust me I've been there).

It's not just lay judges, it's (at least for eMO) a vast majority of the coaches that believe not "dressing up" is disrespectful. Pissing off coaches is not fun (trust me I've been there).

Forreal tho

Last tournament, my opponent's asked me to disclose, I said I'm waiting for the judge because they didn't have a wiki and I'm not sure if I can run certain affs with them. Their coach kept shouting at me, "Hurry up dammit, god, your school is so shady"etc. 

Our judge ended up being very experienced, we went with our Race Aff, and they went two off "Disclosure Theory" and "Framework". THEY WENT FOR DISCLOSURE THEORY IN THE 2NR, and lost of course. Their coach ended up fighting with us and the judge. Twas not a pretty sight

"We will NEVER disclose to Milpitas (My team) again, you guys are shady as f*ck and...*insert 30 minutes of yelling*"

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme
  • Upvote 3

Forreal tho

Last tournament, my opponent's asked me to disclose, I said I'm waiting for the judge because they didn't have a wiki and I'm not sure if I can run certain affs with them. Their coach kept shouting at me, "Hurry up dammit, god, your school is so shady"etc. 

Our judge ended up being very experienced, we went with our Race Aff, and they went two off "Disclosure Theory" and "Framework". THEY WENT FOR DISCLOSURE THEORY IN THE 2NR, and lost of course. Their coach ended up fighting with us and the judge. Twas not a pretty sight

"We will NEVER disclose to Milpitas (My team) again, you guys are shady as f*ck and...*insert 30 minutes of yelling*"

You shouldnt have to wait for the judge to enter the room to determine whether a particular aff is alright to run in front of them. Their name should be on the pairing and generally they will have posted a paradigm on judgepilosophies.wikispaces.com

If they havent then wait, but that is always a great source for info on judges

Okay but seriously does anybody else actually like dressing up for tournaments? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who does.

Hey, does anyone else feel that the need to be in a full suit for 2 days is about much. Not that I don't (at times) mind doing it, but rather that it requires so much maintenance. Is there a way that we can slowly start becoming more casual like Nat Circuits? 

So i did this on my circuit which is very traditional. Like vote on inherency traditional. You slowly start dressing yourself down. You most likely wont be able to we shorts and a T shirt to a debate tournament but you can start by wearing a button down shirt and a tie some khakis and a pair of vans. That being said to actually be able to do this you need to be GOOD at debate. I mean you need to be winning all of your rounds and consistently getting high speaker points for this to catch on. Especially on the local circuit. The other kids follow what the rlly good kids do. 

You shouldnt have to wait for the judge to enter the room to determine whether a particular aff is alright to run in front of them. Their name should be on the pairing and generally they will have posted a paradigm on judgepilosophies.wikispaces.com

If they havent then wait, but that is always a great source for info on judges

Yeah I know, I always check paradigms, our judge was a debater for stanford, but never judged before til our round. He had no paradigm, so we decided to wait before disclosing and then regret reading a certain aff, in front of a certain judge, 

:)

• Upvote 1

Huh, I don't remember any of the coaches really caring. Then again, I don't remember anyone not dressed at least semi-professionally.

Honestly, I used to dress up,but for my last few tournaments I didn't, showed up in some black pants and a shirt, kind of like in my profile pic. Most judges didn't care, but one lay judge shouted at me (I reported him and got him kicked out the judging pool) but there's no reason the activity should be restricted to appearance, it is about performance.

I mean there are less privileged debaters that can't necessarily afford suits or formal wear, so judges shouldn't be discriminating or caling people out in the first place, it makes it a hostile and unsafe space for less privileged debaters. 

I say go for it, screw lay judges, screw the norm, wear whatever the hell you want and perform 

Well said *claps*

You forgot about the pokemon hat!!

How could I forget the Pokémon hat?

That's right, kiddos. If you want all of your scrub opponents to walk out of the round feeling #REKT, cat sweater+Pokémon hat is the way to go.

Forreal tho

If this was at Western JV, I think I know exactly who this is, they hated me XD

• Upvote 1

If this was at Western JV, I think I know exactly who this is, they hated me XD

I think I saw them getting shouted at lol it was liek towards the end of day 1

EDIT: Do you know what school that coahc is from>

Edited by HurderofBuffalos

Like vote on inherency traditional

Since when is voting on inherency "traditional." If the plan happened in the status quo, the aff doesn't have an aff anymore...

• Upvote 1

Since when is voting on inherency "traditional." If the plan happened in the status quo, the aff doesn't have an aff anymore...

Yes but there is a clear difference between saying an aff isnt inherent b/c it just passed in congress and making "attitudinal" inherency and Minor repairs a large part of a neg strat.

That being said my circuit has def liberalized 

• Upvote 2