annabelle08

Best Laptop for Debate

I would like to get a new laptop for debate in the relatively near future. This year I debated with an HP Pavilion dv7 which has a 17 inch screen and weighs just over 8 pounds. It did the job, but it's such a hassle for a sub-par computer.

I am more interested in PCs than Macs, simply because I'm used to them and I know they can do the job at a lower cost. Ideally, a new computer would be under 1k or just above, and the screen would be under 17 inches (mine right now is just too huge and it barely squeezes into my backpack) and it would weigh less than 8 pounds. Other than that, I don't really have any preferences. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

UPDATE: I ended up getting the Dell XPS 13 (non-touch) for my birthday and it is great!

Edited by annabelle08

For debate, the most important parts of the specs are going to be the CPU and RAM. Try to get at least 8 gigs of ram... also a Solid State Drive will make opening files VERY fast. 

• Upvote 2

Toshiba Satellites are cheap and easy to handle; they get the job done and are usually less than $400. I have a dell XPS 12 ultrabook. it's a Two in one and works really well. i got it for black friday at about $699 and its around $820-1000. its definitely less than 17 inches. I would recommend it. Lenovo Yoga seems to be the go to option. that computer always gets rave reviews for a 2 in 1 and is about the target price. cant really say anything else 

For debate, the most important parts of the specs are going to be the CPU and RAM. Try to get at least 8 gigs of ram... also a Solid State Drive will make opening files VERY fast. 

I also have SSD for my dell and it is truly fast 

• Upvote 1

Macbook air, even if you don't like macs, has an SSD that opens files really quick and it's light and portable and I <3 it. 

Can confirm 

Edit: Also, badass decals 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

Macbook air, even if you don't like macs, has an SSD that opens files really quick and it's light and portable and I <3 it. 

If money isn't an issue, and you're willing to learn macs I can vouch for the Macbook Pro, beautiful machine, runs everything perfectly. File transfer is a breeze, word docs, verbatim everything smooth.

Like Pablo said, awesome decals and such

Dell has some decent laptops that function quite well , the dell XP-S line for instance was my first debate laptop before switching over to macbooks

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme
  • Upvote 1

Unless you're willing to spend extra on boot camp or parallels or whatever the hell the kids are into today, getting a mac is not worth the hassle

• Upvote 1

Unless you're willing to spend extra on boot camp or parallels or whatever the hell the kids are into today, getting a mac is not worth the hassle

I have no issues with Verbatim on my Mac if that's what you're getting it - obviously there's a lack of support on a lot of PC only games, but I don't really game much, I just use my Mac for evidence and the sorts. 

I have no issues with Verbatim on my Mac if that's what you're getting it - obviously there's a lack of support on a lot of PC only games, but I don't really game much, I just use my Mac for evidence and the sorts. 

I think the navigation panel is ugly on all but Word 2010 for PC. I hated the few tournaments I had to debate on my backup mac because it was truly horrible and suffering. 

I would definitely suggest going with Mac. Even if you don't know Windows. you can always run Windows on your mac instead (that's what everyone on my team that debates with Macs does during the season, the once debate is over they run OSX) 

Tbh though, my laptop screen is 17.5 inches and I love the size. Sure, it's big and all, but when it comes to things like watching movies, or pretty much anything besides debate, it's amazing. 

Or you could get one of the new Thinkpads if cost isn't an issue for you. Those have SSDs and they'll last for many years too. I've had an X250 for a couple months now and it runs Verbatim flawlessly. 

I got a $290 ASUS which was the cheapest one available at microcenter. It works fine for me, but if you're interested/able to get something faster I would. Stick to PCs macs usually run verbatim worse than PCs (which verbatim is developed for in the first place). I chose mine because it's cost effective and replace-able and takes a lot to destroy (which is something that happens often for me) 

I guess you could always go with the HP pavilion , but i think the Lenovo ThinkPad is the best one for a budget .  This one seems like a good buy 

• Upvote 1

I guess you could always go with the HP pavilion , but i think the Lenovo ThinkPad is the best one for a budget .  This one seems like a good buy 

10/10 i see from your profile picture that you do epee? or is that foil?

• Upvote 2