FlashJ596

Neg Strat against the exploration of boats for human trafficking victims.

I have NSDA district coming up and I need a good neg strat against this aff, obviously the T is going to be in the debate but they're going to have that super prepped. I need a lot more before this friday. The aff basically said they will scan for human trafficking victims that are in ships. 

How in the world do they answer T-non-military and still have any solvency?  (Don't just use T as 'vote neg', use it to restrict who can be doing their plan and where it's done).

Non-military pretty much requires this be US coastal waters, and even then I'm not convinced that isn't still the Coast Guard's responsibility.

Most human trafficking that happens in US waters is almost certainly illegal immigrants.  There's plenty of policy and K ground against what amounts to border patrolling.

If the ships are US-owned, I'm pretty sure this amounts to an illegal search too, and violates constitutional rights of the vessel owners.

To get any more specific than that, need to know specific agents and plan mandates.

• Upvote 3

I know you plan on having T in there already, but I think T-Oceans would also work fantastically against this aff. When hitting an untopical aff, T is often the best route.

That said, Borders K would also be fairly responsive. Also, "Human Trafficking rhetoric bad" exists somewhere, although I personally don't have much experience with it. I'm thinking something along the lines of victimization rhetoric bad, but more specific.

How in the world do they answer T-non-military and still have any solvency? (Don't just use T as 'vote neg', use it to restrict who can be doing their plan and where it's done).

Non-military pretty much requires this be US coastal waters, and even then I'm not convinced that isn't still the Coast Guard's responsibility.

Most human trafficking that happens in US waters is almost certainly illegal immigrants. There's plenty of policy and K ground against what amounts to border patrolling.

If the ships are US-owned, I'm pretty sure this amounts to an illegal search too, and violates constitutional rights of the vessel owners.

To get any more specific than that, need to know specific agents and plan mandates.

Unclear whether it's the Coast Guard or Border Patrol that would be doing it. I think they could make out a decent T-nonmilitary answer if the agency responsible is DHS rather than DoD.

Policy, K, and even CP ground against border patrolling are all good. If you had something for trafficking last year, it should work for this as well,

Probably not a constitutional violation under current case law, though--there are very few rights to avoid a border inspection. Which might be an idea for next year...

I'm going to take a wild guess and bet that it's also non-inherent, but unlike some other prominent Affs this year I could name, at least it doesn't pop up first thing on a Google search.

Edited by Edgehopper

Unclear whether it's the Coast Guard or Border Patrol that would be doing it. I think they could make out a decent T-nonmilitary answer if the agency responsible is DHS rather than DoD.

Policy, K, and even CP ground against border patrolling are all good. If you had something for trafficking last year, it should work for this as well,

Probably not a constitutional violation under current case law, though--there are very few rights to avoid a border inspection. Which might be an idea for next year...

I'm going to take a wild guess and bet that it's also non-inherent, but unlike some other prominent Affs this year I could name, at least it doesn't pop up first thing on a Google search.

OSW?

I hit an aff like this earlier this year - here's my round report

Coast Winter Debate Octas:

1AC - Trafficking Ships Reform

1NC - Afropessimism K 

UN CP
          ISIS Politics DA

Inherency

2NR - Afropessimism K

Decision 2-1 for negative on Afropessimism, Middle Passage original acts of human trafficking and violence - neg wins historical analysis of Middle Passage key. 

Honestly wasn't the best round, kind of sloppy strat, but the UN CP was going for us as well, if race theory isn't your thing

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hit an aff like this earlier this year - here's my round report

Coast Winter Debate Octas:

1AC - Trafficking Ships Reform

1NC - Afropessimism K 

UN CP

ISIS Politics DA

Inherency

2NR - Afropessimism K

Decision 2-1 for negative on Afropessimism, Middle Passage original acts of human trafficking and violence - neg wins historical analysis of Middle Passage key. 

Honestly wasn't the best round, kind of sloppy strat, but the UN CP was going for us as well, if race theory isn't your thing

A much easier strat is Neolib

• Upvote 1

There's pretty good K's of trafficking rhetoric--ironically the best links are by afro pessimistic scholars who say that trafficking rhetoric obfuscates the operations of power by calling it "modern day slavery" which does not match the situation of trafficking Also, most trafficking isn't of the kidnapping variety (hint: this is because white 2nd wave feminists went cray cray and denounced all trafficking as slavery which is utterly wrong). the real trafficking is due to labour trafficking and the common narrative is that there is an immigrant (ironically just as likely to be a man as a woman) who migrates and needs a job up north. the person consents to a third party; the third party might force the person into labour by taking away their passport or putting them in debt bondage by charging high prices which results in labour in sub prime conditions. that's not slavery; that is forced labour which is a completely different issue according to most treaties but our trafficking efforts are fucked now because feminists and christian conservatives teamed up to denounce all this ish as slavery and now every international actor is confused. So you know-- just K them by looking at college wiki's (especially prostitution teams who had this as a common DA they faced and had blocks to it). 

Just going off what was in the OP, there's nothing about setting up these checks at the EEZ border or anything.  A yacht just sitting somewhere in US waters is not at the border, and should not have to submit to a search without probable cause.  Hence constitutional issues.

Plan Text: 

Thus the plan: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its exploration of the earth’s oceans by establishing a publicly accessible system of satellite-based fishing vessel monitoring.

The aff states that they will just scan the boats and give the information to the media and public. Once that information is public, this will cause a type of "spotlighting" of the government. The public and media can pressure the government to develop and enforce stricter regulations. 

We hit this but it was a Thai Slavery aff. 1NC was a Deleuze surveillance K and surveillance bad on case (surveillance is ableist, masculine, etc.)

Plan Text: 

Thus the plan: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its exploration of the earth’s oceans by establishing a publicly accessible system of satellite-based fishing vessel monitoring.

The aff states that they will just scan the boats and give the information to the media and public. Once that information is public, this will cause a type of "spotlighting" of the government. The public and media can pressure the government to develop and enforce stricter regulations. 

You know what this is actually going to be used for?  Trying to find women sun-bathing topless on the decks of boats.  (Google Earth was similarly and briefly notorious for catching some topless sunbathers on the tops of apartments).

Anyway, I'm not sure what they expect satellite surveillance to find.  "Traffickers" will pick up victims at night or under cloud cover, and not in US waters, and similarly drop them off at night or under cloud cover.  And US coastal waters are huge - finding ships, much less ships of interest that are worth watching, is not trivial from satellite photos - who is going to spend the time looking?

And 'scan'?  Really?  Satellites don't do that.  This isn't Star Trek.  You get a digital record of the surveyed area for as long as the satellite is overhead.  That's it.  Think of them as really big, low resolution, photos taken from orbit.  Most of the image will be water.

The problem with satellite surveillance today is that there's too much noise:signal ratio.  You get these huge images, and your job is to find the interesting thing that'll be about a mm across.  Needle meet haystack.  Satellite surveillance only really works when you have other intel to point you at the right area of the image.

• Upvote 1

We hit this but it was a Thai Slavery aff. 1NC was a Deleuze surveillance K and surveillance bad on case (surveillance is ableist, masculine, etc.)

Yeah that's the same exact Aff. How did the round turn out? Any of those args do well? And did you notice anything particularly wrong with the 1ACs cards?

Edited by FlashJ596

Yeah that's the same exact Aff. How did the round turn out? Any of those args do well? And did you notice anything particularly wrong with the 1ACs cards?

I mean, the 1ac was fine, the 2ac didn't really answer the K well. we picked up. Case turns were sufficient to win the round

I mean, the 1ac was fine, the 2ac didn't really answer the K well. we picked up. Case turns were sufficient to win the round

So our strat is currently 3 Ts (Exploration,It's, Oceans) and Cap K and Hard on case.