FUDGE

Starting a College Team

I didn't think I would do this, but, I think I want to start a college team. After going to my last debate tournament for high school this year I don't think I can just leave. I know it would be incredibly hard, but the University of Tulsa allows for $8000 to start a new club. I'm just afraid of lack of evidence, structure and yada. Any help?

• Upvote 2

Volunteer in the area - that's what I'm doing - The college I'm going to is located near the UDL where I debate so I'm just gonna go judge (probably novice debates because the Tabroom hates me ;~:, but I'm fine with anything lol) and coach some teams 

• Upvote 2

Volunteer in the area - that's what I'm doing - The college I'm going to is located near the UDL where I debate so I'm just gonna go judge (probably novice debates because the Tabroom hates me ;~:, but I'm fine with anything lol) and coach some teams 

I was thinking this too, but I'm going to be in Oklahoma which is very backwards when it comes to Policy (I debated there this year and ran agamben and a disposability aff and lost to topicality no standards or "kritikal arguments are against the rules"). So Idk if I would be any help because most of my varsity career was kritikal and performance based.

I don't know anything about starting a college team, but I have debated in Tulsa for the last 4 years and can vouch that they are not backwards. There are a couple new programs and younger debaters who may have been confused as to how to deal with kritiks. Additionally, the smaller schools are focused on lay judging so if you debated one of them that could explain your experience. Both of the Jenks teams, a suburb of Tulsa, going to the TOC primarily went for kritikal arguments and were engaged on a substantive basis by several local teams. Finally, I'm not sure about this, but there was talk about beginning a Tulsa UDL so that may become a thing. 

• Upvote 2

post about this in one of the college fb groups, you will get a 1000x more helpful response

Please do this, no one in this forum has any idea what it's like to run a college team, or people that are at least active.

I was thinking this too, but I'm going to be in Oklahoma which is very backwards when it comes to Policy (I debated there this year and ran agamben and a disposability aff and lost to topicality no standards or "kritikal arguments are against the rules"). So Idk if I would be any help because most of my varsity career was kritikal and performance based.

I debate in Oklahoma as well and think that you may have just had a weird experience. The 5A/6A judging is especially some of the more progressive judging that I have seen throughout the nation, especially when it comes to critical theory. 

Rob and Jacob, for example, read a posthumanism aff about scuba diving, no ptxt. 

We read a nemo aff and a DnG aff first semester, and won with it. 

Moore and other schools have had success reading affs w/o even an advocacy text, so it is decently progressive. 

Also, look at Rob, never knew ya used cross-x :D

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool
  • Upvote 3

I don't know anything about starting a college team, but I have debated in Tulsa for the last 4 years and can vouch that they are not backwards. There are a couple new programs and younger debaters who may have been confused as to how to deal with kritiks. Additionally, the smaller schools are focused on lay judging so if you debated one of them that could explain your experience. Both of the Jenks teams, a suburb of Tulsa, going to the TOC primarily went for kritikal arguments and were engaged on a substantive basis by several local teams. Finally, I'm not sure about this, but there was talk about beginning a Tulsa UDL so that may become a thing. 

Oh yeah I forgot about the Jenks, Yeah there are teams that go to kckcc and other national level tournaments. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Yeah, I may help highschool teams cut evidence and build strats, seems more fun and easy but I'll see.

Edited by MrFudgeFox

lol Oklahoma needs more K friendly folks in Tulsa area. Trust me. 
Also debated four years in Oklahoma and read nothing but the K. Now I judge and at States I didn't judge a debate that didn't include a K.

• Downvote 2

Hey, I'm a future TU student as well. If you need help with members for the team or with finding a local Tulsa team to help you can contact me. I'm a member of the TU class of 2019 facebook page, send me a friend request and I'll talk to ya about it.