Squirrelloid

Foucault and Biopower

It's been a long time since I've read any Foucault.  If I wanted to cut evidence relevant to next year's topic (and refresh myself on Foucault), what would be the most productive things to be reading?  (I primarily want to read Foucault himself, but if there's something really good in the secondary literature, that would be nice to know).

Wouldn't mind .pdfs of his work either, but I imagine I can find most of these by google search.  It seems to be more a question of prioritizing which ones to focus on, not finding them.

Discpline and punishment by far is the best book - i'd honestly recommend you picking up the paper copy. IF not look around for these certain chapters: Docile Bodies , and Panopticism . 

Power- as well is worth the read . 

btw both these books are by focault .

If you dont mind secondary literature :

Anything by Jodi Dean , i hear is good .

As well to that  Agabmen's writing is also useful.

Discpline and punishment by far is the best book - i'd honestly recommend you picking up the paper copy.

I generally prefer paper to digital for reading, but it sucks to cut debate evidence from paper.  Back in the dark ages when we were taping cut outs of photocopies onto printer paper the disparity was actually a lot less, but now that I have to type the passage into the computer, I might as well use a digital form that I can just copy and paste out of.  Using paper has become more work than it used to be.

• Downvote 1

i know their is a copy of discpline and punishment floating around on the interwebs , and That pain though of actually typing out half of my cards . Though that makes me wonder could i just read cards right out of the book add a tag written in the book and is that seen as acceptable?

I generally prefer paper to digital for reading, but it sucks to cut debate evidence from paper.  Back in the dark ages when we were taping cut outs of photocopies onto printer paper the disparity was actually a lot less, but now that I have to type the passage into the computer, I might as well use a digital form that I can just copy and paste out of.  Using paper has become more work than it used to be.

i know their is a copy of discpline and punishment floating around on the interwebs , and That pain though of actually typing out half of my cards . Though that makes me wonder could i just read cards right out of the book add a tag written in the book and is that seen as acceptable?

Foucault-D_P.pdf

• Upvote 1

I would recommend reading people in academia now who cite him and talk about the topic. That would probably be easier to read because it is more contextual to the resolution and would could help you with your aff. 

Eh, I'm mostly looking for theory, not application.  Also, most of current academic scholarship is behind a paywall (seemingly more so for humanities and social sciences than natural sciences) - at least for those of us not at a university.

Edited by Squirrelloid

Eh, I'm mostly looking for theory, not application.  Also, most of current academic scholarship is behind a paywall (seemingly more so for humanities and social sciences than natural sciences) - at least for those of us not at a university.

Or for those of us who aren't willing to break a few copyright laws :^) 

I read quite a bit of Foucault Biopower this year, a lot of the evidence being:

Biermann and Mansfield ’14 Christine Biermann, Becky Mansfield Department of Geography, Ohio State University, “Biodiversity, purity, and death: conservation biology as biopolitics” published online 14 February 2014 Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 2014, volume 32, pages 257 – 273 doi:10.1068/d13047p

While a lot of it is more environmental, there are some good portions on security for next year. There are some cards on openev under the Foucault K, but if you go to the actual pdf (it'll be online) there are good blocks.

• Upvote 1

Make sure you look at some of his Collège de France lectures, since he develops the concept of biopower here more than anywhere else, specifically related to surveillance. Specifically, "The Birth of Biopolitics" and "Security, Territory, and Population" will be very useful. Reading Discipline and Punish is a necessary read for this topic as well if you want to know the arguments well.

• Upvote 3

If you want an auto refresher along with good places to start, I just finished The Foucault Reader by Rabinow. It's pretty good, has an exclusive interview with the guy, and points out more literature to read along with Nietzsche+Chomsky stuff and others. 

ehhh there was a post about 4 years ago where I believe the cross-x user TheScuSpeaks describes Foucault and his concepts of power (including Biopower and Sovereign Power) in detail 

I don't have the link right now - maybe somebody else could provide it