CarlaR

Epic fails of this year

I've had such a blast this year and I don't know how I'll cope without debate for two months until camp.

That being said, I've also done plenty of incredibly idiotic things--both strategy wise and just in general.

My favorite memory will forever be that of the state tournament this year. There's this incredibly attractive and talented debater that we hit round 2. We were aff and they were taking prep before the neg block. I went over to their table to grab my flashdrive back and was very cautious to not disturb them while they were so dialed in. Naturally, I, being a klutz, knocked the flashdrive off of the table and into his backpack. Again, I didn't want to bother him so I just decided I would reach into his backpack super quickly and take it. Unfortunately it had fallen into the very bottom so there I was rummaging through his backpack while he stared at me and asked what I was doing.

Then my most memorable strategy fail would be losing so bad that when I was asked what the alt does in cross-x I said "nothing" and then sat down. 

Soooo.... What have you all done? :wavey:

A novice team entered in the district tournament and hit the two best teams in the state in the first two rounds one of them ran a Middle Passage Aff. For some reason instead of reading their normal colonialism K (which for once would be an effective response) they took all eight minutes of prep to take a nap before the 1NC, then they stood up started reading their aff, and said whoops then played white and nerdy for the rest of the speech. 

One time a team read increase T and inherency in the same speech. Yeah....

• Upvote 5

A novice team entered in the district tournament and hit the two best teams in the state in the first two rounds one of them ran a Middle Passage Aff. For some reason instead of reading their normal colonialism K (which for once would be an effective response) they took all eight minutes of prep to take a nap before the 1NC, then they stood up started reading their aff, and said whoops then played white and nerdy for the rest of the speech. 

LOL OMG LOL

>Be me

>Receive cool methane hydrates CP from a cool friend

>Hit a really good hydrates team

>Forget to add in a plank about exports

>Literally none of case can be solved w/o exports

>Don't realize this until I'm left with 30 seconds of prep before the 2NR

>Go for PTX and lose :)

Oh yeah and my partner and I hit this team that was like...oh god it was so bad. They read t-vagueness (after cutting me off in CX 3 seconds into me answering what the plan does, but it was OSW so pretty straightforward...), speaking for others without an impact, and a ptx ebola DA that they ended up going for that had no UQ and the wrong link in the 1NC. Also never answered case coming out of the 1NC or the block and tried to pick it back up in the 2NR. 

• Upvote 3

>Be me

Oh yeah and my partner and I hit this team that was like...oh god it was so bad. They read t-vagueness (after cutting me off in CX 3 seconds into me answering what the plan does, but it was OSW so pretty straightforward...), speaking for others without an impact, and a ptx ebola DA that they ended up going for that had no UQ and the wrong link in the 1NC. Also never answered case coming out of the 1NC or the block and tried to pick it back up in the 2NR. 

Woah! I think you  were trying to Greentext! Maybe you should only try to use that feature on websites that have actual greentexting ability! This has been a healthy reminder to keep certain E-cultures specific to certain parts of the internet... because everyone is happier that way! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Read XO and politics against a Cthulu Aff that defended the state. We won on a 3-0, but the entire aff is an impact turn to the CP, if they had bothered to say that, then they probably would have won. 

• Upvote 1

Read XO and politics against a Cthulu Aff that defended the state. We won on a 3-0, but the entire aff is an impact turn to the CP, if they had bothered to say that, then they probably would have won. 

lol wow

• Upvote 1

Im not sure if this was a face-palm or a fail on my part the 1nc strat : was T/FW, Farley burn down the State ,and Spending against a Cthulu Aff , Lovecraft racist and homophobic. T and FW changed thourgout the round . Starts of a T-SpaceShips based on cx of them having an exact strategy on finding Cthulu via a space ship. THen its like no plan text in the 2ac , so the 2nc was the abuse story on how they no linked out everything and kill are great ol education . Won on Framework , against an aff with a plan text......

• Upvote 1

>Be me

THAT REMINDS ME. We have a team here that reads arguments like "hasty generalization" (which they abbreviate hasty g) "presumption busters" and "void for vagueness" when they're neg. Not only are these awful arguments, but the names they gave them, I repeat HASTY G and PRESUMPTION BUSTER, makes it worse. Also they never actually read any offcase that links to the aff and they somehow end up going for 8 off in the 2Nr. 

• Upvote 2

I said, "I have to pee" louder than I thought during our livestreamed state finals round against LASA CY... People could hear it on the livestream...

Also, at that same tournament, we read four off---the 2AC was 3 minutes and consisted of one analytical answer to each off, and then one card that said spreading was capitalist and biopolitical. 1AR was 15 seconds

• Upvote 5

we went for a floating pik on the ptx da

this is not a fail. this just makes ptx cool

Definitely epic.  Whether it was fail depends entirely on the negative block.  I could see myself voting for a strategy that started with a 1NC like that.  Even the 'accidentally' starting their 1AC has potential purpose that could be impacted.

Epic fails I judged:

-Just about every CP I saw this year.  No, international agent CPs against plans with only US-specific advantages do not work.  No, the states doing it does not capture much of solvency for a Coral Reefs affirmative (there are many US reefs located in US territories).

-One-off Nietzsche K with dice roll alt against an Islamophobia aff.  Quite possibly the worst K Aff - K Neg pairing I can imagine.

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

Just about every CP I saw this year.  No, international agent CPs against plans with only US-specific advantages do not work.  No, the states doing it does not capture much of solvency for a Coral Reefs affirmative (there are many US reefs located in US territories).

I judged the same varsity team on Neg 3 times in 2 tournaments (Squirreloid was on the panel with me for one of them).

Round 1: Aff runs National Sustainable Aquaculture Act. Neg runs a Japan CP.

Round 2: Aff runs oil exploration in the OCS with a U.S. economy impact. Neg runs a Japan CP.

Round 3: Aff runs a pure exploration, climate data gathering Aff. Neg second-guesses themselves, thinks I hate Japan CPs, and runs a Privatization CP instead :face palm:.

• Upvote 1

Ayyy LMAO 

• Upvote 2

I said, "I have to pee" louder than I thought during our livestreamed state finals round against LASA CY... People could hear it on the livestream...

Also, at that same tournament, we read four off---the 2AC was 3 minutes and consisted of one analytical answer to each off, and then one card that said spreading was capitalist and biopolitical. 1AR was 15 seconds

LINK to the video

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 3

LINK to the video

They haven't released it yet... Also, that was a very... bad debate round. The judges are all "stock issues; no spreading," so it was very boring.

I hit this Militarism aff in my bubble round at a bid tournament that had this bullshit advocacy about "rethinking our relationship" to a bunch of stuff.  We read this ridiculously offensive Nietzsche shell (we never got called out on it, but I felt like trash arguing it), and this soft framework shell that said that they just had to actually do something.  We just absolutely slayed them on everything, and in the 2NR I went for framework.  It turns out that our judge "does not believe in framework" and so just didn't even flow it.  I would have known that if I'd read his paradigm before the round.