themightycthulhu

Ideas for the surveilance topic

Except Foucault's and Baudrillard's take on things are wildly different, and I don't see what advantage you'd gain to say, a Foucault aff, by adding Baudrillard in the mix.

I get that there's a lot of tension between the two.  I guess I was trying to say that besides just talking about straight biopower it might be an interesting twist to also discuss the way in which surveillance skews with the Real (sort of in the Bifo sense of the media age). I had a really good reason for combining them, but I've totally forgotten it.  Maybe I'll remember later

I get that there's a lot of tension between the two.  I guess I was trying to say that besides just talking about straight biopower it might be an interesting twist to also discuss the way in which surveillance skews with the Real (sort of in the Bifo sense of the media age). I had a really good reason for combining them, but I've totally forgotten it.  Maybe I'll remember later

Hmmm...well to my knowledge Baudrillard doesn't do too much with government surveillance (although there are a fair number of books I haven't read) but that sounds more geared towards a psychoanalytic CTS kind of thing, where the whole idea is how symbolic investments (in, say, rhetoric of terrorism) has distorted the real. 

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

Could street policing be considered a form of surveillance since the purpose is to watch the streets for crime?

If so I could see a pretty interesting case.

I definitely think you can define it that way, but short of decreasing the police force you kind of screw the pooch on solvency. I've talked about it with my coach and the issue is how you decrease police surveillance. Because you either have to win that police surveillance is inherently bad, which is probably going to be difficult to win, or you basically increase surveillance on the police to decrease their surveillance of another group, say minorities. Which opens up the possibility of a cp of increase civilian surveillance of the police to increase police accountability, or something of the sort. That's what I'm considering doing with it

Could street policing be considered a form of surveillance since the purpose is to watch the streets for crime?

If so I could see a pretty interesting case.

T-Federal. Unless you're talking about FBI stings, that's happening at the local level (sometimes states). Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

Elijah Smith made a big deal about how they weren't the Wizard of Oz, but rather another story 

Judy Garland referenced the green farmlands of Kansas when she told audiences there was “No place like home” in The Wizard of Oz, but in The Wiz the yellow brick road was walked by Miss Diana Ross, a Dorothy from the concrete jungle of Harlem

Elijah Smith made a big deal about how they weren't the Wizard of Oz, but rather another story 

Judy Garland referenced the green farmlands of Kansas when she told audiences there was “No place like home” in The Wizard of Oz, but in The Wiz the yellow brick road was walked by Miss Diana Ross, a Dorothy from the concrete jungle of Harlem

Yeah, he's talking about The Wiz, not The Wizard of Oz; there are different characters in each story 

Yeah, he's talking about The Wiz, not The Wizard of Oz; there are different characters in each story 

Yes, I know, I guess I was saying that he's technically talking about both, but I see your point.

Do you think that biopower is already one of the "core" affs that everyone is going to read

I feel like Foucault next year is going to be like Heidegger this year. Everyone expects it, but it really doesn't pop up as much as you think. People are more likely to read what they know than verse themselves on a whole new branch of philosophy just because it works really well

• Upvote 3

I definitely think you can define it that way, but short of decreasing the police force you kind of screw the pooch on solvency. I've talked about it with my coach and the issue is how you decrease police surveillance. Because you either have to win that police surveillance is inherently bad, which is probably going to be difficult to win, or you basically increase surveillance on the police to decrease their surveillance of another group, say minorities. Which opens up the possibility of a cp of increase civilian surveillance of the police to increase police accountability, or something of the sort. That's what I'm considering doing with it

Well police surviellance (I'm assuming like patrols, and the such) haven't done much help.. South Carolina right now definitely checks. I could definitely see easy topical access to race affs here, (If you don't know the story, a black man was pulled over by a white man for having a broken tail light then the black men attempts to flee, with his back turned to the officer then the white officer shot him 8 times then for some reason handcuffed him) 

Just saying someone that is more creative than me could probably get a good topical k aff. 

And as for the cp, I don't see a bunch of white people stopping the police from these sort of atrocities. 

Edited by kylerbuckner

Considering the resolution says to "curtail" surveillance, instead of abolishing it entirely, a valid neg CP (or non-topical aff) would be to completely abolish the USFG's surveillance outputs. Lots of potential advantages.

Considering the resolution says to "curtail" surveillance, instead of abolishing it entirely, a valid neg CP (or non-topical aff) would be to completely abolish the USFG's surveillance outputs. Lots of potential advantages.

Valid yes, but can easily be beaten:

a) perm... yeah... definitively resolves the advantages because there's no disad to the aff (this could even be perm do the cp because the cp necessitates the aff's curtailment)

b ) easy to make like 700 disads to complete abolishment. Risk of a da goes aff.

Edited by yee

There are literally like zero advantages to total abolition of surveillance and like a million DA's to doing so.  Even if you want the advantage to be kritikal, it doesn't really matter because very few philosophers would actually advocate for TOTAL elimination of surveillance, because it's kind of non-sensical.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not, that is quite literally the definition of a plan + counterplan.