themightycthulhu

Ideas for the surveilance topic

So i was curious as to what some potential ideas people were having for next years topic. i've been thinking about using a narrative of the wizard of oz. if anybody has seen the sirens aff or the nativism/trail of tears aff this year it would be similar. 

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about my idea, as well as ideas of their own

Edited by themightycthulhu

there's quite a bit of literature that talks about how the different forms of the wizard of oz put out represent the oppression going on in society. the idea for the aff being the wicked witch represents the government and or society and the constant watching, and furthermore oppression  of the other,(the queer, or black body) represented by Dorothy and her companions.

It functions as a narrative to start the affirmative that then leads in to a kritikal case of say the surveillance of the black body

there's quite a bit of literature that talks about how the different forms of the wizard of oz put out represent the oppression going on in society. the idea for the aff being the wicked witch represents the government and or society and the constant watching, and furthermore oppression  of the other,(the queer, or black body) represented by Dorothy and her companions.

It functions as a narrative to start the affirmative that then leads in to a kritikal case of say the surveillance of the black body

Any reasonably prepped out K team can easily destroy this aff

A couple of K's that come to mind:

Semiocapitalism K (value-judgements on a text)

DnG K (a kritik of representations and identity)

Derrida K (centered on language)

Lacan K (the Big Other is a production of the impossibility of identity formation through language)

Anti-blackness K (I don't really see how your recognition of the surveillance can really solve anything - assuming social death)

Nietzsche K (reactive politics bad)

Most of the K's that would be read against you would probably be centered on language, identity, high theory, or critical race theory 

• Upvote 1

Any reasonably prepped out K team can easily destroy this aff

A couple of K's that come to mind:

Semiocapitalism K (value-judgements on a text)

DnG K (a kritik of representations and identity)

Derrida K (centered on language)

Lacan K (the Big Other is a production of the impossibility of identity formation through language)

Anti-blackness K (I don't really see how your recognition of the surveillance can really solve anything - assuming social death)

Nietzsche K (reactive politics bad)

Most of the K's that would be read against you would probably be centered on language, identity, high theory, or critical race theory 

Thanks for the feedback. i have by no means decided this will be my aff or anything like that. i'm just trying to float some ideas around. 

I'm just curious what the story gets you.  It seems like you'd have to do more work than it's worth to make it function well (if you are going to identify each character with some structure/identity group, that just seems bulky and complicated, and probably won't translate well in a high speed debate

In addition to the other comments, demonizing the Wicked Witch is kind of patriarchal.  Wicked (the book, not the musical) provides plenty of ammunition for such an argument, especially since the Witch is the character whose viewpoint we never see in the movies or Baum books, and thus the real Other in the story.

• Upvote 4

I dont see why this couldnt lose to a Racial based feminist postionality : one just as Squerrloid said above - the witch is viewed as the horrible darkend other thourghout the whole movie . This fear of the darker skin female , gives out links for Race , and Fem teams .............

But since this thread is for spitballing idea's for next years rez : how about DnG Nomads - but using Hackers as the nomadic realm of thought for this year's rez. 

I already wrote a sort of hacker's DNG affirmative for next year, but I have no intentions of running it, because I really like the borders affirmative(not DNG Borders, but Gender Surveillance and Bio Politics).

I'm just curious what the story gets you.  It seems like you'd have to do more work than it's worth to make it function well (if you are going to identify each character with some structure/identity group, that just seems bulky and complicated, and probably won't translate well in a high speed debate

So the idea would be that it would ultimately lead to the plan and some specific solvency mechanism based on the narrative. for example the sirens aff from this year talked about how Odysseus queered himself and became the feminized slave when he listened to the sirens. so the plan was to look for the sirens so that we could destroy them and access their zizek over identification solvency. Though  in reality doesn't work because you can't over identify something that isn't real. i haven't read enough of the literature to really get an idea of the specific plan text or solvency though. regardless  it would still be very open to and kind or representations or identity politics stuff 

under their case the sirens represented the queer body btw

In addition to the other comments, demonizing the Wicked Witch is kind of patriarchal.  Wicked (the book, not the musical) provides plenty of ammunition for such an argument, especially since the Witch is the character whose viewpoint we never see in the movies or Baum books, and thus the real Other in the story.

I dont see why this couldnt lose to a Racial based feminist postionality : one just as Squerrloid said above - the witch is viewed as the horrible darkend other thourghout the whole movie . This fear of the darker skin female , gives out links for Race , and Fem teams .............

Thinking more on it i don't see why we couldn't actually frame it in the sense of the oppression of the witch instead of Dorothy. the link to surveillance very well may not be there at that point though

I've written (not too interested in running) an aff based on George Orwell's 1984.

I think this would work as a better concept but I'm not sure... thoughts? This would be just straight up totalitarianism stuff.

Oceania = US

Big Brother = USFG/NSA/Google/Spying Agencies

Winston Smith = Affirmative Team

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme

I've written (not too interested in running) an aff based on George Orwell's 1984.

I think this would work as a better concept but I'm not sure... thoughts? This would be just straight up totalitarianism stuff.

Oceania = US

Sounds like the aff loses on presumption.

• Upvote 5

Oceania = US

What does the aff team do about surveillance? Sorry, haven't read the book.

What does the aff team do about surveillance? Sorry, haven't read the book.

Well, if the aff team is Winston Smith then you end up embracing surveillance because it is impossible to operate outside the purview of the system, and so you succumb.  "I love Big Brother"

• Upvote 1

How would you structure a 1984 aff?

Why do you feel the need to identify every character and structure with some facet of the debate.  It's not important who personifies Winston Smith.  What matters is the way that surveillance has become so pervasive in our society today.  That's why I think people are too eager to read some random passage from a book or something because they think it sounds cool when they should debate the substance of the resolution.  If you have your heart set on 1984, don't focus on the characters (those are irrelevant, interchangeable) but rather on the plot (the substance).  I think an interesting take on that would be Foucault + Baudrillard

• Upvote 2

Why do you feel the need to identify every character and structure with some facet of the debate.  It's not important who personifies Winston Smith.  What matters is the way that surveillance has become so pervasive in our society today.  That's why I think people are too eager to read some random passage from a book or something because they think it sounds cool when they should debate the substance of the resolution.  If you have your heart set on 1984, don't focus on the characters (those are irrelevant, interchangeable) but rather on the plot (the substance).  I think an interesting take on that would be Foucault + Baudrillard

Thanks for the advice. I am not set on 1984, or even that interested in it. It was a concept I thought of at one point earlier, and was just curious.

:)

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme

Or you could just read biopower bad evidence instead of trying to attribute it to a book and instead use that book as a 10 second example of biopower or whatever it is your criticizing (i.e. "Much like in George Orwells 1984,...")

• Upvote 6

Except Foucault's and Baudrillard's take on things are wildly different, and I don't see what advantage you'd gain to say, a Foucault aff, by adding Baudrillard in the mix.

• Upvote 2