MartyP

MartyP (A) vs. MrEragonSaph (N) [Oceans]

Edit: I lied I don't want apart of this hippie thing.

Edited by DHilligoss
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why no Land '92? :(

I thought about it, but that's not really the direction I was trying to go with this aff

I thought about it, but that's not really the direction I was trying to go with this aff

We read a nietzsche aff earlier in the year that had some good cards about shipwreck that you might be able to use.

• Upvote 1

We read a nietzsche aff earlier in the year that had some good cards about shipwreck that you might be able to use.

My season's over, but thanks though. But never fear, I'm already cutting my topical Nietzsche aff for next year.

We need judges.  I'm pretty flex about word count. 

What does the judge voting aff mean?

What does it means the "oceanic void"

What determines a good will to power?

Who is the one driving for security?

Your Nietzsche 78 evidence is about how I.R. Operates , how does your politics scale up to that?

Whats the difference between the "real world " and the Apparent" as per your saurette evidence.

How did the 1ac create chaos?

Faulker is about Suicide and 9/11 jumpers , How are you fully releasing yourself  fully to chance?

What is the ubermensch?

How can we quanitfy Resentiment as an impact?

What is a passive subject as per your Faulkner evidence?

How do you resolve any of the fluidity of the oceanic void?

How does on determine value in the world?

That I win

It's the idea that the ocean can never really be understood or controlled

Will to Power is a natural and positive phenomenon.  The distinction between a positive and negative Will to Power is that a positive will merely desires supremacy (not really the right word, it's more characterized by a refusal to be weak/submissive) while being characterized by humility, whereas a negative will turns on itself and becomes arrogant and, in Der Derian's words, "produces a reactive and resentful longing for only power"

Status quo efforts at engaging the ocean

Your Nietzsche 78 evidence is about how I.R. Operates , how does your politics scale up to that?

He is writing about IR, yes, but it's not limited to that.  It's also about (or at least can be contextualized to) the way in which individuals can lash out when experiencing hatred for the world

Whats the difference between the "real world " and the Apparent" as per your saurette evidence.

The Real World is the world as we desire it to be, and the Apparent World is the world as it actually is

It doesn't.

Faulker is about Suicide and 9/11 jumpers , How are you fully releasing yourself  fully to chance?

The idea is that the 1AC is an attempt to cease action-centric politics.  Faulkner is a reason why that is good even in the face of various risks involved in doing so

What is the ubermensch?

A person that has overcome ressentiment and is in a sense self-actualized.  Although the concept of the übermensch is not really a part of this aff

I don't really think that you can quantify it on a traditional sort of scale as you would weight or body count or something like that.  I suppose there are certain metrics like hedons that attempt to quantify this, but I don't really know enough about the inputs involved in that, and I just don't think that it is really important to this aff

A subject that is unwilling to take fate into their own hands

I don't try to

If I like it, it has value for me.  If I don't like it, it doesn't have value.  Of course that occurs on a continuum

That I win

It's the idea that the ocean can never really be understood or controlled

Will to Power is a natural and positive phenomenon.  The distinction between a positive and negative Will to Power is that a positive will merely desires supremacy (not really the right word, it's more characterized by a refusal to be weak/submissive) while being characterized by humility, whereas a negative will turns on itself and becomes arrogant and, in Der Derian's words, "produces a reactive and resentful longing for only power"

He is writing about IR, yes, but it's not limited to that.  It's also about (or at least can be contextualized to) the way in which individuals can lash out when experiencing hatred for the world

The Real World is the world as we desire it to be, and the Apparent World is the world as it actually is

It doesn't.

The idea is that the 1AC is an attempt to cease action-centric politics.  Faulkner is a reason why that is good even in the face of various risks involved in doing so

What is the ubermensch?

A person that has overcome ressentiment and is in a sense self-actualized.  Although the concept of the übermensch is not really a part of this aff

I don't really think that you can quantify it on a traditional sort of scale as you would weight or body count or something like that.  I suppose there are certain metrics like hedons that attempt to quantify this, but I don't really know enough about the inputs involved in that, and I just don't think that it is really important to this aff

I don't try to

If I like it, it has value for me.  If I don't like it, it doesn't have value.  Of course that occurs on a continuum

That I win

Why does the judge have the right to determine that?

How is Creative suspension not a drive against supremacy ?

What are example of those efforts?

So the 1ac is only a stance on individuals ? Why is violence bad?

What Determines those Desires?

What comes after Action-Centric politics?

What is the ubermensch?

Is a Nietzsche himself an ubermensch? When has someone overcome the societal roles to becomeone? Your Owen And ridley evidence indiactes that the Ubermensch idea is a process , What is that process"?

Your Last piece of Evidence is about Breaking away from resentiment which is the only real internal impact to your aff , how can the judge evaluate that?

What Determines when someone has taken Fate into their own Hands?

Can anyone just determine what they believe is valuable and not valuable?

Ok so I couldn't quote it for some reason so I'll try to keep them in order:

1- because this is debate.  You know what you signed up for

2- Trying to find the Malaysian airplane as per Gordillo

3- I'm only going to engage at the individual level, although I believe my ethic can be exported to the world writ large.  Violence is bad because life is good, and violence is a threat to life; it also makes it difficult to value one's life if someone is in the process of devaluing it (not impossible, but why make it harder.  Words hurt you know)

4- That's a lot more complicated of a question than it seems.  I would say that a person has the final determination of what they value, while others can influence one's desires, although none of that is in my 1AC

5- panic, chaos, and then eventually a new paradigm founded on flux and change, which is able to deal with situations on a more case-by-case basis (at the most basic level)

6- Ok, so for the first part: Nietzsche laid out at least part of the path to being an übermensch; neither I nor he would characterize him as one.  On the second part: at least partly when they have become able to engage with the flux and chaos intrinsic in the world.  On the final part: it's the process of overcoming the desire for stability and control.

7- I suppose that I first have to win that status quo orientation towards the ocean is not life affirming, then I have to win that my advocacy is.

8- when one is able to act in the face of the inevitable.  Don't over think it

9- Pretty much, although as I said above there are other factors at play.  I think that the sandwich I'm eating right now is extremely valuable.  You probably don't think it's as valuable as I do, because I'm definitely much hungrier than you

Whats the word count of the 1ac? bc the 1nc is kind of long right now

Idk my computer is acting weird right now.  I don't really care how long the 1NC is as long as it's not like 30 pages

I thought humility was the essence of slave morality...?

Nope.  Although I think your confusion lies in how you are conceptualizing the term.  It doesn't have a negative connotation, it's not synonymous with submissive.  Rather it's the antithesis of arrogance.

I never broke this aff because my partner quit on me halfway through the season and I was stuck with a guy who doesn't know anything about K's.  After seeing this cross-x and imagining him trying to answer these questions, I'm convinced that I made the right call never breaking this aff.  Although it would have been hilarious...

I never broke this aff because my partner quit on me halfway through the season and I was stuck with a guy who doesn't know anything about K's.  After seeing this cross-x and imagining him trying to answer these questions, I'm convinced that I made the right call never breaking this aff.  Although it would have been hilarious...

:P It'll be fun.

• Upvote 1

1- what is debate

2- what is community

3- what is subtraction

4- what is the sacred [world]

5- why am I only able to define [the aff?] only in opposition to something else, and what is this argument's relationship to the ballot

1- what is debate

As per per our framework argument , its an agon.

2- what is community

Like status quo definition is a group of people with some similarity grouping them together?

3- what is subtraction

In context of what argument? Mathematically its the removal of one thing from another.

The sacred isn't something that can understood through mere description , but its that which is located past the taboo and inside the negativity of heterogenity. Its just Batailles way of accessing mysticism and critiques the way we understand excess.

5- why am I only able to define [the aff?] only in opposition to something else, and what is this argument's relationship to the ballot

In the context of which argument?' The odyseeos card?

1- what is debate

As per per our framework argument , its an agon.

​Is an agon static, or does it change over time

2- what is community

Like status quo definition is a group of people with some similarity grouping them together?

Is that true in the context on Nancy's argument

3- what is subtraction

In context of what argument? Mathematically its the removal of one thing from another.

In the context of Nancy's argument

The sacred isn't something that can understood through mere description , but its that which is located past the taboo and inside the negativity of heterogenity. Its just Batailles way of accessing mysticism and critiques the way we understand excess.

In the context of which argument?' The odyseeos card?

No the Newman card