kylerbuckner

kylerbuckner vs. EndlessFacepalm

Word Count?

If Life sucks, then why live?

What does it mean to be human?

What does it mean to be a person?

Is being a person the same as being a human?

Why is human suffering bad?

Do you advocate for United States federal Government action?

What about the affirmative is radical?

How will we know what is radical enough?

Is violence permissible in order to be radical?

Word Count?

Sorry, I forgot to clarify this is probably way too long but 5,740.

In hope that one day it will get better. 

What does it mean to be human?

To have homeosapien genes

What does it mean to be a person?

A person can mean anything, human or non human others. 

Is being a person the same as being a human?

No. 

Suffering is the day to day misery that encompasses our life, it's what causes others to perpetuate violence upon others and cause more suffering upon others and allow them to have a temporary deprivation from it.  However, none of that is lasting and will collapse under itself. Long story short, it rc's all other acts that people perceive as bad (dehum, violence, war, etc.)

No

Nothing, our advocacy is merely to engage in aestheticism which in this case is to view the beauties of nature (specifically the ocean) and relieve suffering.

Well we aren't really radical and this is my first time to run a K aff so I am not sure if that is a norm. However, we advocate for mere exploration to find the beauty of the natural world. So not really anything radical..

Is violence permissible in order to be radical?

No

Sorry lol, this is my first time. 

Word Count?

So Constructives have a 5700 cap and the Rebuttals can be a 3500 cap?

It seems like the 1AC makes a lot of claims that life can never be better. If it can't get better, then why not kill ourselves?

Suffering is the day to day misery that encompasses our life, it's what causes others to perpetuate violence upon others and cause more suffering upon others and allow them to have a temporary deprivation from it.  However, none of that is lasting and will collapse under itself. Long story short, it rc's all other acts that people perceive as bad (dehum, violence, war, etc.)

You didn't answer my question. Why is it bad?

No

So you're not topical?

Nothing, our advocacy is merely to engage in aestheticism which in this case is to view the beauties of nature (specifically the ocean) and relieve suffering.

How is it educationally unorthodox?

Well we aren't really radical and this is my first time to run a K aff so I am not sure if that is a norm. However, we advocate for mere exploration to find the beauty of the natural world. So not really anything radical..

How will we know what is unorthodox enough?

Word Count?

So Constructives have a 5700 cap and the Rebuttals can be a 3500 cap?

Sure. 

It seems like the 1AC makes a lot of claims that life can never be better. If it can't get better, then why not kill ourselves?

It can get better, our evidece After the advocacy statement in order of what was listed indicates this (Schopenhauer in 1904, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 12, and Steinback in 66. ) We can only gain access to the end of suffering through astheticism and suicide is only an apparent way out when in reality it is nothing but more suffering for those who remain. 

You didn't answer my question. Why is it 

Because it RC's pretty much any claims of what most people percieve as bad. e.g. violence, war, dehum.

No

So you're not topical?

We don't have to be topical. So nah. 

How is it educationally unorthodox?

Because we do not directly affirm the resolution like most affs, this wasn't a big portion of the advocacy. 

How will we know what is unorthodox enough?

It's just that we don't conform with the current pedagogical practices, (also why we are untopical)

On the word count, your count wan't really 5740, because you didn't read every single word in the doc. You read tags, authors, and the highlighted stuff right? Or did you read the underlined stuff as well? If you read tags, cites, and highlighted bits it was only 1327 words...

What is aestheticism?

On the second all caps card, where does Schopenhauer claim that aestheticism solves?

Why is your Role of the Ballot good? 

In your own words, what does Hooft say?

Edited by EndlessFacepalm

On the word count, your count wan't really 5740, because you didn't read every single word in the doc. You read tags, authors, and the highlighted stuff right? Or did you read the underlined stuff as well? If you read tags, cites, and highlighted bits it was only 1327 words...

I thought it seemed a bit long for my 1AC being really short.. We can change the limit to something that is more fair if you want but it's my fault for reading a short 1AC :P does 1800 for constructives and 1000 for rebuttals seem ok?

What is aestheticism?

It is a few things, but Schopenhauer basically says it's participating/observing an "art" or something of beauty, mainly music and art. The Steinback 66 card indicates that aestheticism can be accessed through the oceans. 

On the second all caps card, where does Schopenhauer claim that aestheticism solves?

Power tagged, sorry. It was meant to be indicated in later cards, thanks for pointing that out feel free to take that part out of the tag if you want. 

Why is your Role of the Ballot good? 

Becuase through what aestheticism is, the neg can adequately compete for the win. There are many ways you could win. 

In your own words, what does Hooft say?

Suffering is not inevitable and can be relieved, but when not anguished it leads to alienation and personal degradation, if you are being a downer people tend not to want to be with you, and being personally alienated is bad because human interaction is necessary to prevent the degradation he talks about. Specifically of the self as well as downing your overall spirit. 

I feel like the appropriate response to "are you topical?" is always "yes" or "don't front that genocide shit"

Edited by ARGogate
  • Upvote 4

Just saying, your Schopenhauer cards are dated wrong, it's not 1904 its 1804

*I believe I'm the one who traded you the Schopenhauer K a while ago, so sorry if it was wrong on that doc, just noticed the dude died in 1860 lol

• Upvote 1

Oh my ba

Just saying, your Schopenhauer cards are dated wrong, it's not 1904 its 1804

*I believe I'm the one who traded you the Schopenhauer K a while ago, so sorry if it was wrong on that doc, just noticed the dude died in 1860 lol

Oh my bad  :P

I'm interested to see how this plays out, every time I've run Schopenhauer (2-3 times as neg, never as aff), I've received strange but interesting responses

I'm up to judge!

Cool, the more the merrier. 

I wanna judge this one , now too because too intrested in what happens

If the 1NC is not 1-off wipeout they lose on presumption
  • Upvote 2

I wanna judge this one , now too because too intrested in what happens 

I wanna judge too, If you'll have me.

The more the merrier it seems. :P

Edited by kylerbuckner
  • Upvote 1

What can I call your offcase position?

How do I link to it if I specifically engage in unorthodox meanings of education?

How do I silence you from talking about them? Or silence them rather?

What prevents you from running an Indigenous aff on neg and being prepared to answer SSD good?

How does my plan specifically present colonization?

How does simply changing our mindset solve for the actual suffering of the indigenous?

On your Kovach 5 evidence, when you say 'an affirmation of the negative's position' do you want your affirmation to be the ballot?

On your Polson 12 evidence by your underview, isn't your call for the judge to vote for __ your own role of the ballot, thus advocating for your own "truth"?

Edited by kylerbuckner

i'm partial to the name kristin but you can call it whatever you like.

How do I link to it if I specifically engage in unorthodox meanings of education?

the methodologies used by the authors in the 1ac utilize methods popularized by the enlightenment that exclude indigenous ways of producing knowledge. It's HOW your authors came to their conclusions i criticize.

And besides, using a old white enlightenment era philosopher is far from unorthodox

Enlightenment/ status quo methods of knowledge/truth production exclude indigenous production of truth which means that no matter what i as indigenous person say, unless i use your white methods of knowledge production my knowledge is considered illegitimate

What prevents you from running an Indigenous aff on neg and being prepared to answer SSD good?

what do you mean? Are you asking why i didn't read an ssd plan as the neg?

the methods to produce knowledge are colonial

How does simply changing our mindset solve for the actual suffering of the indigenous?

this is a pre requisite to helping us. If nothing we say is considered legitimate, or everything we say is simply discarded then we will never have our problems addressed at a broader level.

On your Kovach 5 evidence, when you say 'an affirmation of the negative's position' do you want your affirmation to be the ballot?

the alternative to the criticism is for my method of knowledge production to be viewed as legitimate. I think the ballot it one way to achieve that.

On your Polson 12 evidence by your underview, isn't your call for the judge to vote for __ your own role of the ballot, thus advocating for your own "truth"?

No. I polson says that performances disrupt squo policy debates and open up a space for social change at a larger level. I don't want to determine any capital T truth, i only want to have my knowledge production method be viewed as legitimate.

Edited by EndlessFacepalm

i'm partial to the name kristin but you can call it whatever you like.

Lol, Sweet. 

the methodologies used by the authors in the 1ac utilize methods popularized by the enlightenment that exclude indigenous ways of producing knowledge. It's HOW your authors came to their conclusions i criticize.

And besides, using a old white enlightenment era philosopher is far from unorthodox

So are you saying any white dude that was inspired from the enlightenment automatically embraces colonialism?

Enlightenment/ status quo methods of knowledge/truth production exclude indigenous production of truth which means that no matter what i as indigenous person say, unless i use your white methods of knowledge production my knowledge is considered illegitimate

what do you mean? Are you asking why i didn't read an ssd plan as the neg?

Switch side debate. If you are so adamant for speaking out for them, why criticize me and instead just advocate for the greater good of them?

the methods to produce knowledge are colonial

this is a pre requisite to helping us. If nothing we say is considered legitimate, or everything we say is simply discarded then we will never have our problems addressed at a broader level.

Hypothetically, if the only progress made on the K is changing our epistemology how does that alone help them? Assuming the only change happens in this round how does the alt completely solve?

the alternative to the criticism is for my method of knowledge production to be viewed as legitimate. I think the ballot it one way to achieve that.

So then how are you any different from me advocating for the ballot?

No. I polson says that performances disrupt squo policy debates and open up a space for social change at a larger level. I don't want to determine any capital T truth, i only want to have my knowledge production method be viewed as legitimate.

So then what does the judge vote on?

Also, how is the aff more privileged than the neg?

Should I stop reading white authors?

Edited by kylerbuckner