SnarkosaurusRex

Things you'll miss about this year's topic

Winning on legalizing prostitution solves warming

This needs explaining

• Upvote 5

This needs explaining

You know that smell that hits your nose and you're like "Woah, someone was knee deep in the pu-tang!"? That substance is also good at removing Co2 from the air and subsequently solves warming. 

Cut this as a dank new solvency card. Here, I'll do it for you 

Hot sex solves warming 

Rainsilves 15 (Dankest memer in the nation/critical theorist with a PHD@University of Oregon) 

You know that smell that hits your nose and you're like "Woah, someone was knee deep in the pu-tang!"? That substance is also good at removing Co2 from the air and subsequently solves warming. 

• Upvote 9

This needs explaining

Well this was from my dark days in first semester, and this advantage went through a lot of revisions (IE I added UQ for example) but...

Plan is successful cooperative federalism:

1) States have to decrim

Knighton, 12

(Tom, assistant editor of United Liberty, "Making headway on drugs, prostitution should be next", 12/19, www.unitedliberty.org/articles/12186-making-headway-on-drugs-prostitution-should-be-next NL)

Now that a couple of states have made it clear that pot is legal 

AND

advocates could follow to change the laws and end this prohibition as well.

2) Local and state government efforts are important, but Fed involvement is key to regs

Hiller and Saxtein, 09

Hiller, Adam J. and Saxtein, Leah E. (2009) . Juris Doctor Candidates, 2009, Hofstra University School of Law. "Falling Through the Cracks: The Plight of Domestic Workers and Their Continued Search for Legislative Protection," Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal: Vol. 27: Iss. 1, Article 8. Available at: http://scholarlycommons.law.hofstra.edu/hlelj/vol27/iss1/8, accessed 8/17/2014,JMU/JF

While efforts on the local and state levels are encouraging, they are not far

AND

allowing the agency to effectively carry Out its purpose as intended by Congress.°

Impact:

AND: Cooperative federalism key to solve warming

Salkin 10-Patricia E. Salkin is the Raymond and Ella Smith Distinguished Professor of Law at Albany Law School and Director of the Government Law School (Patricia, "Cooperative Federalism and Climate Change: New Meaning to "Think Globally—Act Locally," Environmental Law Reporter, June 2010)AD

The potential impacts of global warming and climate change are well documented in the 

AND

evaluations that may include GHG emissions and carbon footprint-reduction strategies.14

AND: Cooperative federalism strategy will make substantial reductions in US emissions and is key to environmental justice

Engel 14 (Kristen, "Climate Change Regulation and the Emerging New Cooperative Federalism," Arizona Legal Studies Discussion Paper No. 14-24, August 30, 2014, ~University of Arizona law professor~ p. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2490501~~#~~#)AD

The cooperative federalism provisions of the Clean Air Act present opportunities and challenges to the 

AND

a cooperative federalism framework holds greater capacity to avoid these disproportionate effects.18

AND: Warming is NOT inevitable—cutting emissions now slows warming NOW—reject staggered timeframe arguments

Desjardins 13-Citing Mathews: professor in the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment at Concordia University, Soloman: professor of atmospheric chemistry and Climate Science at MIT (Cléa, "Global warming: irreversible but not inevitable," Concordia University News, April 2, 2013, Accessed October 14, 2014,http://www.concordia.ca/cunews/main/stories/2013/04/02/global-warming-irreversible-but-not-inevitable.html)//AD

There is a persistent misconception among both scientists and the public that there is a 

AND

critical implications for the equity of carbon emission choices currently being discussed internationally.

AND: Scientific consensus validates anthropogenic warming—skeptics views are not peer reviewed—their impact d authors are paid off

Abrams 14 (Lindsay, "10,883 out of 10,885 scientific articles agree: Global warming is happening, and humans are to blame," Salon, March 25, 14,http://www.salon.com/2014/03/25/10853_out_of_10855_scientists_agree_man_made_global_warming_is_happening/)//AD

As geochemist James Lawrence Powell continues to prove, the only people still debating whether 

AND

aided and abetted by funding from fossil fuel companies and right wing foundations.

AND: Acting now is crucial—key to spillover

Paulson 14-businessman, China expert, conservationist, author, founder and chairman of the Paulson Institute, co-chairman of the Latin American Conservation Council of The Nature Conservancy and the Risky Business Project, 74th Secretary of the Treasury (Henry, "The Coming Climate Crash," New York Times, June 21, 2014, Accessed October 7, 2014,http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/opinion/sunday/lessons-for-climate-change-in-the-2008-recession.html?_r=0)//AD

THERE is a time for weighing evidence and a time for acting. And if 

AND

years of scientific models, and the trends are not in our favor. 

AND: Warming is real and causes extinction

Sawin 12

(Janet, Senior Director of the Energy and Climate Change Program at the WorldWatch Institute Aug. '12  "Climate Change Poses Greater Security Threat than Terrorism," http://www.worldwatch.org/node/77, accessed 9/30/12,WYO/JF

As early as 1988, scientists cautioned that human tinkering with the Earth's climate amounted 

AND

or the 2004 Madrid bombings, it could be too late to respond. 

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

Well this was from my dark days in first semester, and this advantage went through a lot of revisions (IE I added UQ for example) but...

Plan is successful cooperative federalism:

1) States have to decrim

Knighton, 12

(Tom, assistant editor of United Liberty, "Making headway on drugs, prostitution should be next", 12/19, www.unitedliberty.org/articles/12186-making-headway-on-drugs-prostitution-should-be-next NL)

Now that a couple of states have made it clear that pot is legal 

AND

advocates could follow to change the laws and end this prohibition as well.

2) Local and state government efforts are important, but Fed involvement is key to regs

Hiller and Saxtein, 09

Hiller, Adam J. and Saxtein, Leah E. (2009) . Juris Doctor Candidates, 2009, Hofstra University School of Law. "Falling Through the Cracks: The Plight of Domestic Workers and Their Continued Search for Legislative Protection," Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal: Vol. 27: Iss. 1, Article 8. Available at: http://scholarlycommons.law.hofstra.edu/hlelj/vol27/iss1/8, accessed 8/17/2014,JMU/JF

While efforts on the local and state levels are encouraging, they are not far

AND

allowing the agency to effectively carry Out its purpose as intended by Congress.°

Impact:

AND: Cooperative federalism key to solve warming

Salkin 10-Patricia E. Salkin is the Raymond and Ella Smith Distinguished Professor of Law at Albany Law School and Director of the Government Law School (Patricia, "Cooperative Federalism and Climate Change: New Meaning to "Think Globally—Act Locally," Environmental Law Reporter, June 2010)AD

The potential impacts of global warming and climate change are well documented in the 

AND

evaluations that may include GHG emissions and carbon footprint-reduction strategies.14

AND: Cooperative federalism strategy will make substantial reductions in US emissions and is key to environmental justice

Engel 14 (Kristen, "Climate Change Regulation and the Emerging New Cooperative Federalism," Arizona Legal Studies Discussion Paper No. 14-24, August 30, 2014, ~University of Arizona law professor~ p. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2490501~~#~~#)AD

The cooperative federalism provisions of the Clean Air Act present opportunities and challenges to the 

AND

a cooperative federalism framework holds greater capacity to avoid these disproportionate effects.18

AND: Warming is NOT inevitable—cutting emissions now slows warming NOW—reject staggered timeframe arguments

Desjardins 13-Citing Mathews: professor in the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment at Concordia University, Soloman: professor of atmospheric chemistry and Climate Science at MIT (Cléa, "Global warming: irreversible but not inevitable," Concordia University News, April 2, 2013, Accessed October 14, 2014,http://www.concordia.ca/cunews/main/stories/2013/04/02/global-warming-irreversible-but-not-inevitable.html)//AD

There is a persistent misconception among both scientists and the public that there is a 

AND

critical implications for the equity of carbon emission choices currently being discussed internationally.

AND: Scientific consensus validates anthropogenic warming—skeptics views are not peer reviewed—their impact d authors are paid off

Abrams 14 (Lindsay, "10,883 out of 10,885 scientific articles agree: Global warming is happening, and humans are to blame," Salon, March 25, 14,http://www.salon.com/2014/03/25/10853_out_of_10855_scientists_agree_man_made_global_warming_is_happening/)//AD

As geochemist James Lawrence Powell continues to prove, the only people still debating whether 

AND

aided and abetted by funding from fossil fuel companies and right wing foundations.

AND: Acting now is crucial—key to spillover

Paulson 14-businessman, China expert, conservationist, author, founder and chairman of the Paulson Institute, co-chairman of the Latin American Conservation Council of The Nature Conservancy and the Risky Business Project, 74th Secretary of the Treasury (Henry, "The Coming Climate Crash," New York Times, June 21, 2014, Accessed October 7, 2014,http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/opinion/sunday/lessons-for-climate-change-in-the-2008-recession.html?_r=0)//AD

THERE is a time for weighing evidence and a time for acting. And if 

AND

years of scientific models, and the trends are not in our favor. 

AND: Warming is real and causes extinction

Sawin 12

(Janet, Senior Director of the Energy and Climate Change Program at the WorldWatch Institute Aug. '12  "Climate Change Poses Greater Security Threat than Terrorism," http://www.worldwatch.org/node/77, accessed 9/30/12,WYO/JF

As early as 1988, scientists cautioned that human tinkering with the Earth's climate amounted 

AND

or the 2004 Madrid bombings, it could be too late to respond. 

Yikes

• Upvote 1

Yikes

Teams just didn't have any answers so it turned into a warming bad/not that bad debate. Luckily, I made better advantages later, and shifted to 2n.

Teams just didn't have any answers so it turned into a warming bad/not that bad debate. Luckily, I made better advantages later, and shifted to 2n.

I always thought the difference between high school and college debate was that this sort of stuff didn't happen in college.

• Upvote 9

I always thought the difference between high school and college debate was that this sort of stuff didn't happen in college.

Nope. Teams also still drop things in college, or mishandle arguments, even up to outrounds of the biggest tournaments.

Doesn't help that a lot of teams are lazy, you see a bunch of teams just reading Northwestern's old affs.

• Upvote 7

I'm still not sure how I feel about this

Climate Change is an existential threat. We must address the issue or risk extinction.

Deibel, Professor of IR at National War College 07

(Terry, Foreign Affairs Strategy (Terry L. Deibel, “Conclusion: American Foreign Affairs Strategy Today

Anthropogenic – caused by CO2”)

• Upvote 2

Nope. Teams also still drop things in college, or mishandle arguments, even up to outrounds of the biggest tournaments.

Doesn't help that a lot of teams are lazy, you see a bunch of teams just reading Northwestern's old affs.

2014 ToC was won on a dropped role of the ballot ("Judge should be an anti-ethical decision-maker") last year so......

• Upvote 4

2014 ToC was won on a dropped role of the ballot ("Judge should be an anti-ethical decision-maker") last year so......

I picked up my last prelim round this year on FW when the aff conceded an area of the resolution would be an effective strategy to dismantle racism. (This is why you don't only impact turn one part of a topic)

I picked up my last prelim round this year on FW when the aff conceded an area of the resolution would be an effective strategy to dismantle racism. (This is why you don't only impact turn one part of a topic)

Lol I meant to quote MartyP XD

I feel like marihuana has the better i/l to the cooperative federalism advantage. It's such a good warming scenario though

I feel like marihuana has the better i/l to the cooperative federalism advantage. It's such a good warming scenario though

Spell it with a J you hippy 

• Upvote 1

Definitely, but for some reason the thought of an advantage counterplan seems like the pits of hell to teams.

Spell it with a J you hippy 

That's not topical. And racist. Apparently.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

Definitely, but for some reason the thought of an advantage counterplan seems like the pits of hell to teams.

That's not topical. And racist. Apparently.

Wait wait wait, "marijuana" is racist?

I know a team that picked up on it sooooo...

The idea is that "marijuana" is rooted in the history and stereotypes of black men assaulting white women or something to that nature, I didn't read the cards.

I know a team that picked up on it sooooo...

The idea is that "marijuana" is rooted in the history and stereotypes of black men assaulting white women or something to that nature, I didn't read the cards.

I thought it had something to do with latinos/latinas and it created a fear of brown men assaulting women or some shit like that