This kritik could work on any aff willing to change the way ISIS is acting now. The kritik would express the American people viewing themselves as the best country in the world and how we would want to convert ISIS, or any other power we try to influence, to our American standards. This is bad because we view ourselves as the perfect country which could lead to the destruction of a culture if the aff is pushed through. If ISIS were to convert, America would be not only destroying a culture and interfering with religious views, but, also, convert more people to the view of a "perfect" country leading to more conversion and the destruction of more cultures and so on. I dont know. Just suggesting ideas. Could this work?

Yes.  The terms you want to use if you're doing research is "cultural imperialism" and probably "manifest destiny." I've probably got a couple cards along these lines.  If I can find them I'll post them on here to give you a start.

Edited by MartyP

This kritik could work on any aff willing to change the way ISIS is acting now. The kritik would express the American people viewing themselves as the best country in the world and how we would want to convert ISIS, or any other power we try to influence, to our American standards. This is bad because we view ourselves as the perfect country which could lead to the destruction of a culture if the aff is pushed through. If ISIS were to convert, America would be not only destroying a culture and interfering with religious views, but, also, convert more people to the view of a "perfect" country leading to more conversion and the destruction of more cultures and so on. I dont know. Just suggesting ideas. Could this work?

1) the link story is kinda wonky here.  Most affs aren't attempting to "change" the culture of ISIS---usually they're just like " Merica needs to have heg to kill dem terrorists" whereas this link story is more towards soft power aff

2) If you're going to pick any group and say we shouldn't change their culture, why the hell would you pick ISIS.  Maybe this is imperialist, but I"m going to say that ISIS's culture changing from being, ynow, murderous religious fanatics would probably be a good thing.  There's an argument to be had that US interventionism created ISIS in the first place and US interventions endlessly create problems as soon as we solve another, but that's a distinct argument from the one you're trying to make

• Upvote 3

The "overall" link is the attempt to influence a culture that is so corrupt to our own is just as bad if we left it alone. It's a waste of time to convert, let's say ISIS, if our culture is just as corrupt as theirs. We are better off leaving them to sort out their own problems. And the main point for ISIS is the most likely factor of terrorism of ISIS next year. I doubt ISIS is going to willingly, whatever the Aff is, agree to any standards. America isn't ISIS' target but when we interfere 1) we become a target for them and 2) slowly eradicate their culture

What affs try to convert ISIS's culture? And since when was conversion the objective of the squo? Like, I'm pretty sure our drone strikes are trying to kill people, not to change their culture.

Look up William Spanos. I don't know if he's written anything in the specific context of ISIS, but eveything else you're talking about is exactly what he writes on, particularly the American exceptionalism stuff.

• Upvote 2

I have yet to see an aff that is attempting to change their culture. The idea is that, if the aff is attempting to reduce the amount of terrorism through the plan, they are slowly eradicating the culture of whatever group they attempt to change. The Kritik is not specific is ISIS, but rather any terrorist group or "threat group." If the aff, lets imagine, is to use soft power to affect North Korea, we are slowly degrading the culture with our ideals of our "perfect" society

I said ISIS in the beginning. I was just using them as an example, sorry. Should've been more clear

I think that it's really difficult to put a monolith of an example out. From what the K sounds like without the ISIS example, it seems like a discourse/imperialism K, and plenty of those exist. America rarely seeks to change culture; rather, it seeks to eliminate threats.

Regardless, is the link story based on American exceptionalism or interference in general? For example, could Assad's actions against ISIS link?

What affs try to convert ISIS's culture? And since when was conversion the objective of the squo? Like, I'm pretty sure our drone strikes are trying to kill people, not to change their culture.

Are you kidding me? Drone strikes are trying to kill people, but that's not a reason why we do drone strikes.  It's pretty not hard to win that a lot of US policy towards the Middle East (e.g. drone strikes) are rooted in a fear of the Other that spawns an attempt at the homogenization of opposing cultures in something deemed favorable/familiar towards the US.

• Upvote 1

Are you kidding me? Drone strikes are trying to kill people, but that's not a reason why we do drone strikes.  It's pretty not hard to win that a lot of US policy towards the Middle East (e.g. drone strikes) are rooted in a fear of the Other that spawns an attempt at the homogenization of opposing cultures in something deemed favorable/familiar towards the 

Are you kidding me? Drone strikes are trying to kill people, but that's not a reason why we do drone strikes.  It's not very hard to win that a lot of US policy towards the Middle East (e.g. drone strikes) are rooted in a fear of the Other that spawns an attempt at the homogenization of opposing cultures in something deemed favorable/familiar towards the US.

Fixed it.

But seriously, he's right. American is kinda that bully that takes your lunch money.. then sends drones in to kill you. 

Are you kidding me? Drone strikes are trying to kill people, but that's not a reason why we do drone strikes.  It's pretty not hard to win that a lot of US policy towards the Middle East (e.g. drone strikes) are rooted in a fear of the Other that spawns an attempt at the homogenization of opposing cultures in something deemed favorable/familiar towards the 

Are you kidding me? Drone strikes are trying to kill people, but that's not a reason why we do drone strikes.  It's not very hard to win that a lot of US policy towards the Middle East (e.g. drone strikes) are rooted in a fear of the Other that spawns an attempt at the homogenization of opposing cultures in something deemed favorable/familiar towards the US.

Fixed it.

But seriously, he's right. American is kinda that bully that takes your lunch money.. then sends drones in to kill you. 

Grammar Nazi.  Typical American imperialist.  

• Upvote 2

Look into ethnocentrism and emancipatory theory in IR..... really good stuff that could be helpful on this

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme

Sounds like Baudrillard and Badiou, with a hint of Spanos 

It doesn't really seem like Baudrillard to me.  As far as I've read, Baudrillard's stuff on terrorism isn't really about this so much.  Maybe the closest thing is his culture crash stuff, but again that's not really what I think OP had in mind.  This is definitely post-colonialism, so Spanos definitely is good, as is Spivak (I can't believe no one has said Spivak yet).

It doesn't really seem like Baudrillard to me.  As far as I've read, Baudrillard's stuff on terrorism isn't really about this so much.  Maybe the closest thing is his culture crash stuff, but again that's not really what I think OP had in mind.  This is definitely post-colonialism, so Spanos definitely is good, as is Spivak (I can't believe no one has said Spivak yet).

Baudrillard and his description of the erasure of difference, through an assimilation towards the West, at the hands of the West 

Edward Said (Orientalism) would be theoretically good if you're assuming a post-colonial critique centered on the Middle East

Spanos not so much, except for the American Exceptionalism stuff 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

I have yet to see an aff that is attempting to change their culture. The idea is that, if the aff is attempting to reduce the amount of terrorism through the plan, they are slowly eradicating the culture of whatever group they attempt to change. The Kritik is not specific is ISIS, but rather any terrorist group or "threat group." If the aff, lets imagine, is to use soft power to affect North Korea, we are slowly degrading the culture with our ideals of our "perfect" society

This isn't cultural imperialism. It's cultural genocide. Different argument.

EDIT: Don't read said and spivak at the same time

Edited by ARGogate

Don't read said and spivak at the same time

Why (I've never read Said before)?