deb8lover

Overviews for Ks

By exploring the oceans for economic gain the affirmative has a capitalist mindset, that's (Author, Date).

The Affirmative's capitalistic mindset pushes us closer and closer to the tipping point to extinction, That's (Author, Date)

The only way to avoid this is through the alternative of ____ that's (Author, Date)

obviously extrapolate more but that is the basic premise.

• Downvote 1

"the AFF IS CAPITALIST BECAUSE THEY ARE ENTRENCHED IN CAPITALIST MINDSETS, AND CANT SEE TJE DESTRUCTION THEY CAUSE THROGUH THEIR NEOLIBERUL BLINDERS WHICH CAUSE THEM TO IGNORE TJE POOR PPL TJATS ZIZEK AMD DALY IN 4 ------ THIS CAUSES THE world to IMPLODE UNDER CAPITALISM --- EXTINCTION --- ONLY THE ALT SOLVES THATS HEROD --- IF EVERYBODY JUSTS STOPS BEING capitalist AND REJECTS CAPITALISM THERE WILL BE no more CAPITALISM

then just do the line by line

• Upvote 9

You should write these in round. Preferably during the 1nc.

I usually have a few things 

1) A link explanation: What specifically about the aff is capitalist (Use their warrants as offense)

2) Impact 

3) ALT

4) Framework/ Role of the ballot 

• Upvote 1

You should write these in round. Preferably during the 1nc.

I usually have a few things 

1) A link explanation: What specifically about the aff is capitalist (Use their warrants as offense)

2) Impact 

3) ALT

4) Framework/ Role of the ballot 

Links can be on the line-by-line as DAs to the perm, impacts can be done on the "case outweighs debate", alt can have an explanation, but the solvency debate should be on the line-by-line, and Framework should always be on the framework debate.

The Overview should only have things that you're referencing everywhere on the flow and things that you're referencing nowhere else on the flow; most judges don't want to hear an overview longer than about a minute.

• Upvote 2

Links can be on the line-by-line as DAs to the perm, impacts can be done on the "case outweighs debate", alt can have an explanation, but the solvency debate should be on the line-by-line, and Framework should always be on the framework debate.

The Overview should only have things that you're referencing everywhere on the flow and things that you're referencing nowhere else on the flow; most judges don't want to hear an overview longer than about a minute.

I mean its also dependent on the kritik and the strategy that you are using.

Since i usually read 1 off and performance in general. I put all the link analysis at the top so that the judges know their is a clear link between their aff and the content of my Kritik. Its been very useful especially because my circuit is more policy oriented.  

If im reading the K as a multi off I usually dont read overviews at all and just embed the analysis and explanation of the Kritik on the different parts of the debate. 

Also Most judges usually say they dont want super long overviews because they dont want pointless over explanation.  

Know your judge. Some judges will mark you down for longer overviews, claiming that a lot of it can go on the line-by-line. Other judges really like long overviews and enjoy 2NCs that are more abstract rather than technical. For the cap k, especially if you tend to go traditional, I'd err strongly towards the shorter overviews.

Embed offense in the overview because people often drop it.

• Upvote 4

offense in the overview frequently will set up a cake-walk 2nr against inexperienced teams, teams that are poor at flowing, or teams that aren't good against ks. Honestly, when strategically placed, even good teams can easily concede key pieces of offense in the overview.

• Upvote 2

"the AFF IS CAPITALIST BECAUSE THEY ARE ENTRENCHED IN CAPITALIST MINDSETS, AND CANT SEE TJE DESTRUCTION THEY CAUSE THROGUH THEIR NEOLIBERUL BLINDERS WHICH CAUSE THEM TO IGNORE TJE POOR PPL TJATS ZIZEK AMD DALY IN 4 ------ THIS CAUSES THE world to IMPLODE UNDER CAPITALISM --- EXTINCTION --- ONLY THE ALT SOLVES THATS HEROD --- IF EVERYBODY JUSTS STOPS BEING capitalist AND REJECTS CAPITALISM THERE WILL BE no more CAPITALISM

then just do the line by line

This is how, sadly, most of my league (as in every school that compete in my league - so like 8 schools) does their 2NC K overview - just that they repetitively say "we're all gonna die" a lot more, maybe like every 2 words they say "we're all gonna die"

offense in the overview frequently will set up a cake-walk 2nr against inexperienced teams, teams that are poor at flowing, or teams that aren't good against ks. Honestly, when strategically placed, even good teams can easily concede key pieces of offense in the overview.

why is this?

why is this?

Because they will not be responding to offense. 

It's a trick I use in NPDA parli as well. Embed offense in our FW about why political discussion within the state are bad and then they drop it, read like 3 perms and A/T: and then I just go for that FW arg since it's an offensive reason for the K Alt and shits on the perm. 

If you know teams that drop args like that and your judge is good that should be your strat. 

Because they will not be responding to offense. 

It's a trick I use in NPDA parli as well. Embed offense in our FW about why political discussion within the state are bad and then they drop it, read like 3 perms and A/T: and then I just go for that FW arg since it's an offensive reason for the K Alt and shits on the perm. 

If you know teams that drop args like that and your judge is good that should be your strat.

what would this look like?

what would this look like?

*(Insert overview about cap here)* That means that you have an ethical obligation to reject capitalism even prior to evaluating the 1AC *(Continue cap overview) 

Or something along those lines. Sometimes the judge might not catch it as well so be careful. 

• Upvote 2

*(Insert overview about cap here)* That means that you have an ethical obligation to reject capitalism even prior to evaluating the 1AC *(Continue cap overview) 

Or something along those lines. Sometimes the judge might not catch it as well so be careful.

oh yeah, so 1 more question: do you have to like read a card abt this in the 1nc to claim something like this or can u just claim it and win the debate on it bc they dropped it.

oh yeah, so 1 more question: do you have to like read a card abt this in the 1nc to claim something like this or can u just claim it and win the debate on it bc they dropped it.

you need to have a warrant somewhere embedded within your evidence in order to make the claim and stake the round on it (ie. go for it in your 2nr). But you don't need to make the tag of one of your 1nc cards "moral obligation/pre-req." in order to explain the argument in your 2nc overview. 

Introna K's are notorious for this type of strategy. Introna 9 is a commonly read card that has a shit ton of great warrants in it, including a moral obligation warrant, and many teams will save that warrant for the 2nc overview and make a big deal out of the fact that the moral obligation 'went completely conceded'. 

Edited by agl125

Overviews should only be used for framing issues that will be relevant on all parts of the flow. You should be explaining the story of the K across the flow. Saying

Link

Impact

Alt

Is redundant if you do line by line correctly.