I've heard of a movie/documentary called "Debate Team", and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase it, or if anyone could share it with me.

I'm sorry but not to my knowledge.  This wasn't the modus operendei in 2008, and to my knowledge this hasn't been updated since.  I don't even think there are pirated copies online because the debate community liked it enough that they wanted people to pay for it.

I bought a copy last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Michael Miller, who debated for the University of Houston from 1966 through 1970 and is featured in it prominently, used to post here under the screen name "topspeaker70".  Unfortunately, he has not posted or even logged in in over four years.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda

I bought a copy last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Michael Miller, who debated for the University of Houston from 1966 through 1970 and is featured in it prominently, used to post here under the screen name" topspeaker70".Unfortunately, he has not posted or even logged in in over four years.

True story, I work for his debate coach.

Michael Miller

????

You work for Michael Miller's debate coach?  Michael Miller's debate coach was named Bill English, who, if still alive, would likely be too old to have someone currently working for him unless they were an employee of a Senior Living Community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

????

You work for Michael Miller's debate coach?  Michael Miller's debate coach was named Bill English, who, if still alive, would likely be too old to have someone currently working for him unless they were an employee of a Senior Living Community.

I can assure you that Bill English is very much alive and strongly prefers his employees be at least 10 minutes early, and if possible, white.

• Upvote 2

????

http://www.baylor.edu/communication/index.php?id=68300

or he could, you know, just be working at a university, and we could not jump to the conclusion that every person over 70 is not working and is living in a senior living community

Edited by liampirate

http://www.baylor.edu/communication/index.php?id=68300

or he could, you know, just be working at a university, and we could not jump to the conclusion that every person over 70 is not working and is living in a senior living community

I'm pretty sure I got a lecture from bill english my freshman year 4 years ago. I didn't understand most of it cause I was a freshman who hadn't even been to a tournament yet and I had no idea why my coach sent me there lol

I'm pretty sure I got a lecture from bill english my freshman year 4 years ago. I didn't understand most of it cause I was a freshman who hadn't even been to a tournament yet and I had no idea why my coach sent me there lol

Can confirm that he still does it yearly in Kansas at least.

Our team sends our novices to his lecture every year.

I find it hard to imagine that someone who coached in the 1960s, as Mr. English did, would have anything to say to contemporary debaters that would be useful and interesting to them. While the University of Houston teams that he coached may have been the first modern, evidentiary juggernauts, they spoke to their audiences and said things that made sense to listeners who were not part of the intercollegiate debate community. The audio of that round and of two prior NDT Final Rounds can be found here; http://groups.wfu.edu/NDT/HistoricalLists/FinalRdsAudio/

The 1969 NDT Final Round, the transcript of which is surely the most widely circulated NDT transcript ever, was considered a “barnburner”, yet a word count shows that the debaters averaged just 204 words per minute and that Joel Perwin's blistering final rebuttal, delivered at an unspectacular 280 words per minute, was the only speech that exceeded 230 words per minute. A transcript of that round can be found here: http://groups.wfu.edu/NDT/HistoricalLists/1969DebateFinals/NDT1969FinalTrJAFA.pdf and word counts for twenty-eight final rounds from 1949 through 1990, here: http://groups.wfu.edu/NDT/HistoricalLists/90schart.html

I was surprised to see that the word counts of the 1949, 1961 and 1969 final rounds were nearly identical, however Baylor and Alabama read just 26 pieces of evidence in the 1949 finals whereas Houston and Harvard combined to read 62 in 1969. I think what made the 1969 round seem faster to flowsheeters in the audience was that the debaters were reading more evidence while foreshadowing it and explaining it less, meaning that a lot more notes had to be taken and a lot more arguments evaluated.

It is sad to watch contemporary debaters when they have chosen to contract the issues in rebuttal. They often look and act totally lost, unnecessarily double gulping their air intakes, sputtering out sentence fragments and then pausing uncomfortably without looking up while contemplating what their next sentence fragment will be.

- Michael W. Toland