YDel

Nuclear War outweigh ocean bio-diversity

Can someone help help with how nuke war outweighs ocean biodiversity with 1st: magnitude, 2nd: timeframe, and 3rd probability? 

• Upvote 1

Magnitude- We've screwed around with bio-d plenty with stuff like the BP oil spill.  It has never lead to extinction.  Nuclear war definitely will

Timeframe- Even if stuff like the BP oil spill is hurting bio-d/causing extinction, it is happening so slowly that we can't even notice.  Nuclear war could happen in an instant with the proper trigger.

Probability- bio-d loss is inevitable.  No single piece of legislation is going to tip it over the edge.  Nuclear war can be prevented, but with the proper triggers the chance of escalation is 100% because we begin dealing with irrational actors (this part is pretty hard to do without specific evidence)

• Upvote 2

As well as the fact that status quo action being taken against biodiversity, (NOAA *cough cough*)

Nuclear War kills people while pulverizing the environment, like I'm not an environmentalist but, nuclear winter just might be worse than extra salty oceans.

I'd read a card that says nuclear war destroys the environment. That turns their impact because it means environmental destruction is inevitable in a world of nuke war. I'd also imagine that nuclear war is going to destroy the environment quite a bit more than the status quo or any affirmative. 

*this is all assuming you have cards to back it up, and if you don't, they shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on, after all, this is policy debate

TF - if you are saying that by voting aff or neg or whatever they trigger nuclear war, then you win on TF because it would happen immediately, whereas a biod collapse obviously would take some time (nuclear weapons can destroy on impact, it takes a while for the chain reaction of a biod collapse to occur)

M - not only does everyone die but everything is destroyed. you both have the impact of lives (assuming they said that which they probably did) but you have the greater impact because all of civilization would collapse (literally)

P - read your cards. talk about how we have been awful to the environment and we're obviously still here.

let me know if you need anything else!!