laurele

Liberal Arts Colleges With Debate

I'm a high school junior and I'm trying to narrow down where to apply. I know I really want college debate, but a lot the programs that I've seen are larger or state universities (nothing against these at all, just my own learning style just doesn't really work in these kinds of places). I've been looking at some smaller, liberal arts colleges but I haven't been finding too many debate programs there. So do any of you know of some good debate programs (ones that are actually competitive, not just 'eh we'll go to one or two tournaments a year' programs, at small colleges? 

Are you only considering schools with policy debate programs? If you would be open to doing parliamentary debate, there are some very nationally competitive parli teams in the Pacific Northwest. For instance, the final round of last year's NPTE was between Lewis & Clark College and Whitman College. (Oregon and Washington respectively)

• Upvote 2

Wake Forest

University of California, Berkeley

Lol, UC-Berkeley is not a small liberal arts school.

Emory is fairly small/average sized, but overall, I think you'll struggle to find a liberal arts school that has policy debate (trust me, I'm a junior and I've tried).  HAM is definitely right though, you should look into parli, because pretty much any college has parli.

• Upvote 4

Emory is fairly small/average sized, but overall, I think you'll struggle to find a liberal arts school that has policy debate (trust me, I'm a junior and I've tried).  HAM is definitely right though, you should look into parli, because pretty much any college has parli.

ehhh, most people are liberal there though - I might be conflating one with the other, but most people I know that went there to become engineers or scientists end up becoming majors in gender studies or something like that

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I actually do parli at times so that's something I'd definitely be open to. I've been looking for parli teams though and most of them for the colleges I would be at all interested in seem to be really casual which isn't what I'm looking for 

Are you only considering schools with policy debate programs? If you would be open to doing parliamentary debate, there are some very nationally competitive parli teams in the Pacific Northwest. For instance, the final round of last year's NPTE was between Lewis & Clark College and Whitman College. (Oregon and Washington respectively)

I actually live in the pnw and I don't want to go super close to home but I am planning on applying to Whitman (they also have a pretty good policy team, so that's nice, plus I know their debate coach)

ehhh, most people are liberal there though - I might be conflating one with the other, but most people I know that went there to become engineers or scientists end up becoming majors in gender studies or something like that

That's not what a liberal arts college is

• Upvote 5

Trinity University's great! We're a rather small liberal arts university with a strong policy debate program. We've been to seven or eight tournaments so far, not counting the NDT and CEDA (both of which we'll probably attend), and we have a strong sense of community, very good relationships between students, faculty, and alumni, and the kind of personal attention that liberal arts colleges are known for (I had a class with seven other students last year. The biggest I've heard of was a class of forty). Plus, San Antonio's pretty great. Try and visit sometime next year, or email our coaches Will Mosley-Jensen and Collin Roark about debating with us.

• Upvote 1

I think Georgetown is considered a liberal arts college. They have a fairly decent debate program from what I've heard. 

In this instance, 'fairly decent' means having consistent first round teams + winning the NDT twice in a row recently. 

Anyways, since my uni is both state and large, I might as well rep some other ones while we're here. From what I can tell Trinity seems like a pretty decent place.

A word of caution though, with schools like Wake Forest, Georgetown, etc. unless you're coming in as a TOC qualifier or with similar levels of talent, they have a reputation for getting less coaching support/tournament attendance.

• Upvote 5

Okay, I am actually going to seriously respond to a post on this website for once

Check out the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington. It's a small team with plenty of travel opportunities for motivated folks who don't come from high-profile/national circuit backgrounds. UPS was the first seed at D2 districts this year, going 6-0 with several wins over some fairly high-ranked teams -- and pushing the envelope into some areas of scholarship that have gone largely untouched by other debaters. I can provide a lot more info if you're interested.

This is some of what we've done this year:

http://opencaselist.paperlessdebate.com/Puget+Sound/Brittenham-Queirolo+Aff

http://opencaselist.paperlessdebate.com/Puget+Sound/Brittenham-Queirolo+Neg

UPS has about 2,000 students, the campus is gorgeous, the classes are small and offer a lot of opportunities for high-level intellectual discussions with professors and other students. Also, Tacoma is awesome.

http://www.pugetsound.edu/academics/departments-and-programs/undergraduate/communication-studies/forensics/

http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/campus-the-northwest/

http://www.pugetsound.edu/community/

Edited by Needs More Consult Japan
  • Upvote 5