Phantom707

Domestic Surveillance Topic Ideas

So, this site is dying and all that, so there's no separate forum for the domestic surveillance topic. Anyways, I thought it might be a good idea to get people to start brainstorming for the domestic surveillance topic.

I'm not a high schooler anymore, but here's my idea: stop surveying some organization like Green Peace that's on the terror watch list. There's probably some literature that says those organizations are not effective [at protecting the environment in this case] because they haven't been able to expand/get funding because of the pressure from the surveillance state. Then an advantage would be environmental destruction. On T substantial, you could say something like how groups on the terror watch list get a crap ton of attention from intelligence agencies and such.

I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I just had it the other night, but it's something to perhaps think about.

• Upvote 1

For my teams, I was thinking of doing a satire aff for "stop watching paint dry" or something to that effect

So, this site is dying and all that, so there's no separate forum for the domestic surveillance topic. Anyways, I thought it might be a good idea to get people to start brainstorming for the domestic surveillance topic.

I'm not a high schooler anymore, but here's my idea: stop surveying some organization like Green Peace that's on the terror watch list. There's probably some literature that says those organizations are not effective [at protecting the environment in this case] because they haven't been able to expand/get funding because of the pressure from the surveillance state. Then an advantage would be environmental destruction. On T substantial, you could say something like how groups on the terror watch list get a crap ton of attention from intelligence agencies and such.

I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I just had it the other night, but it's something to perhaps think about.

We read an eco-terrorism aff that kind of fits the idea you're thinking of. 

I think NSA reform/whatever will be big.

Edward Snowden/Whistleblower aff's will be big.

Old, sweaty, French guys will be big.

Deontology affs will be big.

Shitty DA ground will be present.

Answering a Topicality of "substantially/surveillance" will be interesting.  

I want to get an argument set up about how:

1. One can't measure surveillance.

2. Govt. secrecy means the amount of surveillance we currently have could be highly underestimated- no way to be sure what is "substantial".

3. Do cameras running and no one watching count as surveillance? 

4. What all truly counts as surveillance?

Any other ideas?

I had an idea for a "Stop Searching for Extra Terrestrial Life" aff.  Essentially, I define "Domestic" as our home, and how our home is the universe (w/ evidence).  Not sure how well it would work tho

• Upvote 2

I had an idea for a "Stop Searching for Extra Terrestrial Life" aff.  Essentially, I define "Domestic" as our home, and how our home is the universe (w/ evidence).  Not sure how well it would work tho

I'd think that most "reasonable" interpretations of "Domestic" would be pretty devastating for this aff. That said, as a K aff it'd be interesting, then the interp isn't necessarily as problematic for you.

Bruh Counterfactual aff's change a past policy . Like  we say for like idk the Latin America topic we should never do Bay of pigs /Embrago 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just rewriting the Cthulhu aff on this years topic for next year, with the USFG severing ties with the illuminati as the Plan...Foucault's breakdown of governmentality is a prerequisite for breaking down domestic surveillance.... Both the advocacy and the plan are topical...

• Upvote 3

I'm just rewriting the Cthulhu aff on this years topic for next year, with the USFG severing ties with the illuminati as the Plan...Foucault's breakdown of governmentality is a prerequisite for breaking down domestic surveillance.... Both the advocacy and the plan are topical...

• Upvote 2

Opacity? No one. Alright. Just saying, I'm pretty sure you picked the right counter-racist group then that would make a pretty devastating aff.

Where are the real authors...? :(

Lacan?  Is that you?

@OP, I'm pretty sure every DA ever will be "the Muslims are coming, the Muslims are coming, terrorists gunna kills us allllllllllllllllllllllllll"

• Upvote 3

Lacan?  Is that you?

@OP, I'm pretty sure every DA ever will be "the Muslims are coming, the Muslims are coming, terrorists gunna kills us allllllllllllllllllllllllll"

Yes, it is I, Lacan. I never died, rather I used psychoanalysis to imprint mysef into the mind of a teenage boy, I took an interest in interscholastic debate where I thought it'd be funny for me, Lacan, to utilize the theories of one my most prominent students, Guattari, as a way to defeat other teenagers. His polemic Anti-Oedipus, partially addressed towards me, and worked on with Deleuze, proves useful when facing teenage kids.

In other news Islamophobia affs seem fire on this topic; maybe some Negarestani can finally find its way into the circuit

• Upvote 5

Where's the Deleuze and Guattari? :(

Where's the Baudrillard? :(

Where's the Bifo? :(

Where's the Agamben? :(

Where's the Negarestani? :(

Where are the real authors...? :(

Aside from Bifo (until this year) and Negarestani, most of these authors are regurgitated on every topic.

with the USFG severing ties with the illuminati as the Plan...Foucault's breakdown of governmentality is a prerequisite for breaking down domestic surveillance.... Both the advocacy and the plan are topical...

haha i don't know about that

what happened to this website?

Edited by sublime_thought

Well, to get back on topic: a quick list of government surveillance a plan could do something about, without ever once going to the NSA... Some of these may require some cleverness to create an effective and persuasive case.

Education  

1. student bulk data collection efforts

2. national core 

3. the standardized testing regime

Prison System

1. Parole

2. Sex Offender Registry

3. Lifelong denial of rights after conviction (Gun ownership, Voting)

State Department

1. RFID chips in Passports

TSA

1. Duh

Marriage (surveillance because it involves the government collecting information about marital status)

1. Tax Law benefits

2. Marriage Licenses (although typically issued by states, now that the federal government has claimed it gets to universally decide what a marriage is...)

Interstate Commerce Clause

-Various ways the government uses this to compel businesses to share production / sales data so it can manipulate prices, see esp. agriculture. (Although the recent SCOTUS decision has reduced this, the ICC is still pretty all-encompassing - something involving sales tax on internet sales would still work, for example).

Health Care

1. ACA individual mandate requires government surveillance re:coverage

FCC

1. Censorship

2. Bandwidth (Pirate radio case?)

and so on...

• Upvote 1

Bruh Counterfactual aff's change a past policy . Like  we say for like idk the Latin America topic we should never do Bay of pigs /Embrago 

Can't tell if real or troll

if real sounds amazing

please answer