NecroNarwhal

Different Frameworks

I've seen a lot of comments like "We won on framework", and I was wondering if I could get a simple description of framework, what it does in the round (how different is it from ROB?), and a list of common frameworks.  Thanks.

Usually framework is a reference to topicality. Framework is a procedural argument that says a certain view of debate should be preferred and the affirmative is not of that form of debate. Usually the demand or "interpretation" by teams is that the affirmative must defend the united states doing a topical action. other forms of frameworks are affirmatives must defend the state doing anything,or that the aff must be in direction of the topic 

Framework is, as best I can describe it, the way that the judge decides who won the round. It is an argument that takes priority to almost any other argument; in a round that Framework is debated, the judge will decide who wins the Framework argument, and then uses that framework to weigh everything else in the round.

Some examples:

Topicality-Framework: Topicality should be evaluated before any other issue. Topicality is key to preserve debate space, and thus the judge should evaluate T first.

Discourse First: Each team must defend their discourse before impacts are weighed. If a team's discourse is proven to be bad, they should lose regardless of impacts.

Deontological Framework: Utilitarian impact calculation should be rejected. The means need to be evaluated before the ends, because the means should not justify the ends.

Kritikal Framework: Most Kritikal affs will run framework along with the aff. This framework is written to fit with their affirmative case, and usually preempts arguments like Topicality.

• Upvote 3