Nodulux

Best Policy Team in Oregon 2015

Post ochs does anyone have revisions to their rankings? I personally think max and clackamas are baller. But that was the case before.

Post ochs does anyone have revisions to their rankings? I personally think max and clackamas are baller. But that was the case before.

I might have a change to most untopical aff...

Ok so time to resurrect this thing

Can everyone post who quals to state out of their district? That way we can have a running list.

We have:

Lake Oswego GT

Clackamas LL
Clackamas HM

Can everyone post who quals to state out of their district? That way we can have a running list.

We have:

Lake Oswego GT

Clackamas LL

Clackamas HM

Two weeks left until our districts, so y'all will have to wait a bit.

We have:

Lake Oswego GT

Clackamas LL

Clackamas HM

Add south and thurston to that list. No oak hill though :( i liked their satire stuff
  • Upvote 1

Add south and thurston to that list. No oak hill though :( i liked their satire stuff

Lol I prepped an entire 6 minute topicality/framework block, and had to throw it out after the judge said she almost never votes on T/FW... so honestly the satire kritik should have never happened. But seriously you and Leo will do great in state! Thurston too!

Coming from an outsider that knows nothing about the Oregon circuit, I can objectively say that Gracia Dodds and JJ Caufield are some of the coolest debaters I've met.

• Upvote 1

this thread is the worst. yes, it's good to see that oregon debate exists, but 2/3 of this thread is just drama for the sake of drama.

Look Corey I have no idea why you created an account. I don't know who you are hearing this from but it's undoubtedly JJ.

Let me explain to you and everyone else in this forum something about this circuit. It's far behind.

I'm not sure who else has been to a camp far outside the curcuit, but I went to UNT and studied solely performance debate.JJ having gone to Gonzaga hasn't been able to tailor his style to the 1ac I wrote at camp with some well respected college debaters.(See Ryan Wash)

It truly isn't realistic to run a vast amount of strats in the oregon circuit as opposed to the rest of the nation for the reasons:

1.) College policy has not been successful in oregon. L&C and Oregon I suppose.

2.) No UDL. This is where everything new is coming from. (College has caught on, see Emporia, Towson, Oklahoma).

3.) OSAA. Texas has a separate debate league, the TSA, that is much more competitive than the archaic state associations.

I never realistically expected to win rounds in oregon. I would love to see this circuit progress. The judging pool is just to lay.

I apologize to everyone for talking so much trash it's just that I wish Oregon could try to get on board and make it so that we can have legitimate National Circuit competetors.

I do think I should get some credit for some wins like Nat Quals last year, State was a legit effort despite the wacky inaccuracies that forever will doom OSAA.

Also this year we were 4-1 at oak hill.

Don't count Tigard CS out. We'l step up.

some thoughts (mostly responding to Zacpdx's post):

1. saying your own circuit sucks is a self-fulfilling prophesy. you all underestimate the change you can make--through argumentative choice, through talking to judges and explaining things to them, through teaching novices, and through engaging in dialogue outside of tournaments about arguments you enjoy and wish to read with your debate friends on the circuit--to your own circuit. There are, realistically, less than 25 varsity policy teams in the state of oregon, so all of the aforementioned methods seem pretty simple and like they would spread widely. 

2. lay judges just require you to communicate. every judge, in reality, requires you to communicate with them, but perhaps a college debater judging your round allows you to explain things in a vernacular they're familiar with, whereas describing things to a lay judge requires a bit more translating into terms they get. But if you can explain stuff, you will still be able to read virtually any argument. also, as more people read an argument on a circuit, it becomes incorporated into the general knowledge of a lay critic. 

3. it's cool that you and other oregon people are going to camp, but the second that you start waving it around as your qualification for knowing more about what is "good debate" because you worked with "well respected college debaters" is the moment that you loose all credibility as a member of the debate community (and start looking like an asshole tbh) because you start to hold your normative accomplishments (not really even accomplishments, you just showed up somewhere) as currency over what other people have accomplished in the community. 

4. a circuit can't be "far behind," it can only be different from others. if you want it to be different, change it.

• Upvote 6

Congrats to Shawn x His brother for winning state! Besides, who doesn't like revisiting old drama? 

• Upvote 4

OK, so in the name of keeping this thread on topic, I stole the criteria from the California thread. They are:

Senior you will miss most: 

Best judge: 

Best coach: 
Best squad/school: 
Best team: 
Best novice team: 
Best aff team: 
Best neg team: 
Best 1a: 
Best 2a: 
Best 1n: 
Best 2n: 
Best kritik debater:
Best straight-up policy debater: 
Best negative position: 
Best aff: 
Most untopical aff:
Funniest offcase argument you heard:
Funniest/worst Judge RFD: 
Most persuasive speaker: 
Most helpful person: 
Most hardworking debater: 
Fastest debater: 
Best debater overall: 
The best team next year: 
Squad to watch out for next year: 
Funniest debater: 
Most fun debater to judge/watch:
Most improved debater: 
Most improved team: 
Most Underrated team:

Best judge: 

Best coach: 
Best squad/school: Tigard
Best team: Tigard CS execpt JJs bad so just zac
Best novice team: 
Best aff team: Susan Mcclain
Best neg team: Tigard CS
Best 1a: Zac
Best 2a: Zac
Best 1n: Zac
Best 2n: Ben brickmans eyebrow
Best kritik debater: Definatly Zac
Best straight-up policy debater: Also definatly Zac
Best negative position: probably ecofem
Best aff: perm
Most untopical aff: OSW
Funniest offcase argument you heard: lol keenan reading anything
Most persuasive speaker: Zac
Most helpful person: Zac by far
Most hardworking debater: again Zac
Fastest debater: probably Soren
Best debater overall: Zachary
The best team next year: not barlow
Squad to watch out for next year: not barlow
Funniest debater: Zac
Most fun debater to judge/watch: Zac
Most improved debater: 
Most improved team: 
Most Underrated team:

Best judge: 

Best coach: 

Best squad/school: Tigard

Best team: Tigard CS execpt JJs bad so just zac

Best novice team: 

Best aff team: Susan Mcclain

Best neg team: Tigard CS

Best 1a: Zac

Best 2a: Zac

Best 1n: Zac

Best 2n: Ben brickmans eyebrow

Best kritik debater: Definatly Zac

Best straight-up policy debater: Also definatly Zac

Best negative position: probably ecofem

Best aff: perm

Most untopical aff: OSW

Funniest offcase argument you heard: lol keenan reading anything

Most persuasive speaker: Zac

Most helpful person: Zac by far

Most hardworking debater: again Zac

Fastest debater: probably Soren

Best debater overall: Zachary

The best team next year: not barlow

Squad to watch out for next year: not barlow

Funniest debater: Zac

Most fun debater to judge/watch: Zac

Most improved debater: 

Most improved team: 

Most Underrated team:

I'm not sure why you left "Most Underrated" blank. We all think we're hot shit, but every year it's a Tigard team in finals.

Lets keep this thread going! This is for the 2015-16 year and we have some new material to deal with haha

Senior you will miss most: probably this year it will be brian and miles 

Best judge: mark little, dylan amo (even though he hates postmodernism), and probably all of the college debaters

Best coach: I dont feel qualified to say anything cause I dont know a lot of the coaches
Best squad/school: probably OES because they have the most policy teams
Best team: Brian and Miles
Best novice team: Next year I bet the south freshman will make a run for it (:
Best aff team: probably OES A
Best neg team: probably Lincoln
Best 1a: Lets be real does the 1ac really matter?
Best 2a: Brian or miles would be my guess
Best 1n: The 1n is the most inconsequential speaker ever
Best 2n: Soren Little
Best kritik debater: Whoever plans on reading deleuze next year gets my vote
Best straight-up policy debater: Miles
Best negative position: Deleuze hands down
Best aff: Counter-gazing
Most untopical aff: counter-gazing
Funniest offcase argument you heard: Tropicality. Thank you brian for that one
Funniest/worst Judge RFD: "You seemed to only focus on one portion of a very broad resolution so i vote neg"
Most persuasive speaker: Soren Little hands down
Most helpful person: Alex garten/Max groznik
Most hardworking debater: Miles and Brian
Fastest debater: Brian
Best debater overall: Miles or Brian or soren
The best team next year: Miles and Brian or brandon and colin
Squad to watch out for next year: Clara and Kate from lincoln
Funniest debater: Leo Saenger when he openly swears at the other team
Most fun debater to judge/watch: 
Most improved debater: Clara and Kate
Most improved team: Clara and Kate
Most Underrated team: Brandon and Colin
  • Upvote 1

"Best 1a: Lets be real does the 1ac really matter?"

Huh. I guess the 1AR was a figment of Laurel's and my imagination. I'll hate to break it to her that the 1A never gives a real speech.

"Best 1n: The 1n is the most inconsequential speaker ever"

Well, given that the 1NC pretty much determines what the debate will be about, and the 1NR is generally when the neg is able to hammer home the strategic arguments that the 2NR is going for, I have to disagree. To say that any speaker position is "inconsequential" kind of ignores how debate works.

No, let me do one (disclaimer, I would list Lincoln SY more but I don't know their speaker positions nor have I seen them in action):

Senior you will miss most: Brian and Miles

Best judge: Hard to say in advance. Mark Little, Tom Lininger, they're cool

Best coach: Keith Eddins!!

Best squad/school: Oak Hill/OES

Best team: Lincoln-SY/OES A/Oak Hill ES (fingers crossed)

Best novice team: Really impossible to tell at this point

Best aff team: OES A, maybe Oak Hill RT (you should see some of their ideas)

Best neg team: OES A, maybe us? IDK yet.

Best 1a: Laurel Eddins (her 1ARs are fire)

Best 2a: Myself/Brian or Miles

Best 1n: Brian/Miles

Best 2n: Soren/Laurel

Best kritik debater: Hard to tell at this point. Beau Taylor-Ladd is showing some real talent though...

Best straight-up policy debater: Probs Miles or Brian, or maybe me (although I'm not "straight up" anymore, but I can be)

Best negative position: Terror DA, of course. JK, I will have to see what is being run first

Best aff: If I knew that my summer assignments would be way easier!

Most untopical aff: IDK, probably whatever South is running

Funniest offcase argument you heard: Some of the T-definitions of "surveillance" and "curtail" are pretty lol-worthy

Funniest/worst Judge RFD: "neg won on the T flow, but I vote aff because neg didn't seem to care enough about the abuse."

Most persuasive speaker: Probably Soren

Most helpful person: Alex Garten is hella helpful

Most hardworking debater: Miles, Brian, Laurel (when does she sleep?), Beau (pretty much working nonstop all summer, I admire that dedication

Fastest debater: Brian Yang

Best debater overall: Miles/Brian/Laurel

The best team next year: Wait, if this list is already for next year, than this applies to the year after that. Meaning, I have no idea.

Squad to watch out for next year: OES and Lincoln

Funniest debater: Soren Little (ask him about Gaia!)

Most fun debater to judge/watch: Emma Rosander (running Satire)

Most improved debater: Probs Soren, or maybe one of Oak Hill RT

Most improved team: Uh, if this is most improved for last year, than OES GL and Oak Hill RT for sure

Most Underrated team: Probably Jon Lee's team, if he finds a partner. Shawn is gone, but Jon is just getting started (which scares me)

Edited by Nodulux

when conrad doesn't say that you're the senior he'll miss most....

Senior you will miss most: emma 
Best judge:Mark Little, people who vote for me...
Best coach: Keith Eddins!!!
Best squad/school: OES probably
Best team: Lincoln-SY, maybe OES GL
Best novice team: Oak Hill HN or MM or any of those configurations 
Best aff team: OHS RT bc Beau runs weird shit that I hate
Best neg team: who knows yet.
Best 1a: eh 
Best 2a: Conrad bc remember that one time he gave a 2ar and then went to the emergency room 
Best 1n: idk
Best 2n: i literally can't remember who's a 2n
Best kritik debater: ?? beau maybe bc nobody understands his ks which i think is the sign that you've made it
Best straight-up policy debater: Conrad
Best negative position: executive order cp ftw (jkjk pls no) 
Best aff: ....
Most untopical aff: IDK, probably whatever South is running (i copied that from Conrad bc it's true)
Funniest offcase argument you heard: "cap good" 
Funniest/worst Judge RFD: that time I lost on condo
Most persuasive speaker: soren?? I think
Most helpful person: I would say shawn lee but he doesn't exist in Oregon anymore so... probably conrad
Most hardworking debater: literally all my team people, idk how hard other people work
Fastest debater: Brian Yang
Best debater overall: brian
The best team next year: ?
Squad to watch out for next year: Lincoln, OES
Funniest debater: EMMA ROSANDER esp during cx
Most fun debater to judge/watch: idk
Most improved debater: kate maybe
Most improved team: OHS ES
Most Underrated team: 

• Upvote 1

when conrad doesn't say that you're the senior he'll miss most....

Ohmygosh, I am so sorry! I kinda can't wrap my mind around the fact that you are leaving next year, I am trying to pretend it's not true, and I guess I am a little too good at it :P. Naturally, I will miss you the most, and Emma is a close second.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sprague is also going to be really good. Two of the top LD debaters in the state are doing policy last I heard. Oh, and Jon is phenomonal. His partner is going to be fast and that's all he needs to be a top team in Oregon. He won GDI, which is impressive, and he doesn't know when to stop working. 

• Upvote 2

Sprague is also going to be really good. Two of the top LD debaters in the state are doing policy last I heard. Oh, and Jon is phenomonal. His partner is going to be fast and that's all he needs to be a top team in Oregon. He won GDI, which is impressive, and he doesn't know when to stop working. 

if anything goes right we're hardly going to do any policy cuz we'll be out of oregon doing LD... but we don't know where the money is coming from so who knows :^)

• Upvote 2

this thread makes me feel somewhat sad i'll be doing a lot of ld this year instead of policy...

Instead of completing that list thing I'll just make some general predictions for this season:

South, OES, Jon and Oak Hill ES will win a ton a shit. Beau and I will continue being unpredictable assholes.

And I will miss Laurel the most

Edited by Emmaslaysdragons