OceanDebater

Answering Warming Affs

Besides link turns (at least for OTEC, which is the only case I've ever actually hit), warming inevitable (McPherson).

Warming inevitable

Alternative causes to warming 1ac doesn't account for

No extinction - adaptation/biodiversity/evolution stuff

Extinction impact media hype

[plan] makes warming worse (turns case)

I've also gone with the ecodoomsaying K, it's worked 3/4 times I've run it.

Off Case

Adaptation DA 

De-dev

Cap (2NR is always a combination of everything into Cap - how I do that, figure it out yourself) :D

Case

Alt causes that aff can't solve for (like China emissions) 

Threat Construction cards, specific to the affs impact; which then serve as links, impact D, and examples for the Epistemology DA on the Cap K 

As someone who runs a warming aff...

Although eco-security, cap, eco-mangerialism, ecofem, etc. are all good options, we're also hella blocked out against them and we hit them every round so we're used to it.  Running a case specific (or even politics DA) with good impact framing (specially time frame) is often a better option because warming teams aren't expecting it.

Advantage counterplans are the shit here, especially cuz there's so many.  Find one that's somewhat obscure, find a good net benefit (electricity prices?), and run with it.  It'll crush

On case

-Attack their Internal Links to warming.  Most affs either solve electricity production or transportation, not  both, so the other is a huge alt cause.  The aff probably solves a tiny fraction of global emissions

-Cost competitiveness:  most renewable energies are hella expensive and impossible to scale up because of numerous problems, so they're unlikely to displace oil/coal.  Specifically, most affs this year probably can't solve emissions in inland states.

-Impact D.  Even if warming is real, most extinction authors are hacks. Cut some cards that are like "IPCC says no extinction" yada yada

-Alt causes/too late is fun and all, but won't win you the debate in the 2nr

I run Race as as DA  with an impact of like genocide to outweigh it on timeframe 

wut

• Upvote 2