Affhole

Flashing evidence

Do you ever flash/ not flash evidence during your rounds? I mean, i know it'd be nice to do and all, but could i get voted down for doing that?

What's happened to your team as a result of not flashing evidence? (if you have done so of course)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

I don't think your evidence is credible if you don't want the other team to see it lol... Is flashing taking up your prep time or something?

A team in our league refuses to flash their speeches to any other team because they want a competitive edge against other teams - it's not like it matters, if you're good, they're not that good and they always do bad on the national circuit, but that's what hubris gets you

OP (he's in my team) wanted to do the same thing to them

A team in our league refuses to flash their speeches to any other team because they want a competitive edge against other teams - it's not like it matters, if you're good, they're not that good and they always do bad on the national circuit, but that's what hubris gets you

Ah, I see. I apologize, without the backstory I thought the OP may have been either really confused or trolling.

Edited by Emmaslaysdragons

Ah, I see. I apologize, without the backstory I thought the OP may have been either really confused or trolling.

It's like a whole squad (like an entire school), sorry for the mix up - Thing is, that same squad steals blocks from other teams (from my league or from the national circuit) and then reads it in a round to win (for instance, they run OSW simply because Niles North OW runs it - they go on their wiki and steal their blocks); I mean they lose all the time when they break (since they break all the time) since that's when they hit the good teams (their defeat is great, of course) - it's understandable that they do that, we can't all have a massive dedication to debate (especially since none of the schools in my league are rich private schools) but it's their hubris that annoys us the most since they brag about their success a lot (even if it's off of our work)

In my circuit it is the norm and accepted to flash cards but not analytical arguments even if they are written in the speech doc. It takes about 2 seconds to delete them if you use them in a different font than your cards. 

• Upvote 1

As a judge, I usually require it. Especially if the evidence is not yours and has been read before. Even if you cut it, you should flash it. It's like an unwritten rule of testability that you should see the evidence backing up an argument. If the other team can't see your ev, I'm sure as hell not going to look at it in my decision if I have to call for cards.

Edited by ARGogate
  • Upvote 1

In general, if you refuse to flash your evidence when I'm judging, I'll give the other team extra prep time to look at it on your computer--and if you won't let the other team see it at all, I won't give you credit for any of your evidence and you'll likely get an automatic loss.  This is the penalty prescribed by Rule 7.5(A) of the new NSDA evidence rules.

• Upvote 3

Rule of thumb (this applies for the wiki/open sourcing ish too): If you get to see other people's ev, you should let them see yours. If you farm cities off of the wiki, you should let other people farm yours, if you steal cards from other teams' open sources, you should open source too. 

tbh I'm a big fan of leaving everything you read in the speech in the doc as well. i think deleting pre-written analytics (like pre-written overviews) is against the spirit of the norm as much as deleting taglines is. I can't think of a coherent way to distinguish tags from pre-written overviews (both are completely debater/coach written, both reference evidence but are not evidence, both are written before the round). length clearly can't distinguish it because nobody would support deleting long tags - even really long tags - from cards. I'm forced to conclude that deleting pre-written analytics is a bad practice.

• Upvote 1

Two wrongs don't make a right

it's considered "manners" to flash. I've never heard of a team that wouldn't flash because they a) were paper debaters (They're still a thing  :eek: ) b ) they flashed. I'm sure it's not a voter issue if you don't flash (but clipping cards is), but it will look really bad on you, and your speaker points will be docked accordingly, plus your judge won't like you, which says something when the judge looks at the debate after the 2AR. Moral: just flash.

Edited by asi14

it's considered "manners" to flash. I've never heard of a team that wouldn't flash because they a) were paper debaters (They're still a thing  :eek: ) b ) they flashed. I'm sure it's not a voter issue if you don't flash (but clipping cards is), but it will look really bad on you, and your speaker points will be docked accordingly, plus your judge won't like you, which says something when the judge looks at the debate after the 2AR. Moral: just flash.

Even if they're on paper, you still give the other team their evidence. Watch the 2015 NDT Semis between Minnesota CE and Northwestern MV (the 1AC is on paper) and they still do it. 

Even if they're on paper, you still give the other team their evidence. Watch the 2015 NDT Semis between Minnesota CE and Northwestern MV (the 1AC is on paper) and they still do it. 

yeah they still flash definitely. Btw, how long does the other team get to hold on to the papers? A team I was hitting at Lexington basically snatched the cards back right after the 1NC finished.

yeah they still flash definitely. Btw, how long does the other team get to hold on to the papers? A team I was hitting at Lexington basically snatched the cards back right after the 1NC finished.

I do half paper half paperless debate. They should be allowed to access those cards until the end of the debate. Like if they need to quickly borrow the cards they used for a speech they were giving to quote a line then you should be fine giving it back but if they are purposely trying to prevent you from accessing the evidence than you should make some issue out of it haha. 

And I didn't flash my 1ac when i read it off of paper because if it is paper you aren't required to flash your evidence as long as you provide them with the evidence you read in rounds. Some teams do both but again that is a choice. What isn't a choice is whether or not you provide them with access to the evidence. 

I like to flash, other kids like to flash. If you don't flash it seems a little sketchy in front of some judges. I know of a few judges that'll dock x amount of speaks if you don't flash. 

I like to flash, other kids like to flash. If you don't flash it seems a little sketchy in front of some judges. I know of a few judges that'll dock x amount of speaks if you don't flash. 

Context required.

• Upvote 2

Context required.

I'm assuming you're talking about the last part. Some judges have written on their paradigm that "If you don't flash, I will dock x number of speaks."

You probably should for fairness. Also so you don't look like a jerk in front of the judge. You should only flash cards if you want an advantage or and edge I guess, you don't have to flash analytics. Technically you don't have to flash tags, but you should.

You should flash everything in your speech doc to the other team. The rationale for not flashing analytics produces absurd results (don't flash taglines or bold-underlining). If your argument is so weak you have to hide it, you deserve to lose. "but strategy!" is not a compelling response because you're not entitled to that strategy advantage.