thanksobama

Best Policy Affs

Best as in most laughable:

Santa aff

Best as in being an overall good case:

LOST

Research affs 

Edited by Emmaslaysdragons

Some of the most difficult policy affs I've hit have been Antarctic research ships, Sea Turtle exclusion devices, and algae farming.

Best as in most laughable:

Santa aff

Best as in being an overall good case:

LOST

Research affs 

Why do you say LOST is one of the best? It seems rather open to T, plus there's a lot of on-case evidence for it.

Why do you say LOST is one of the best?

Because it's simple but strong, lay judges love it, and for all the tournaments I've run it, I've only ever lost with it twice. Also, I've found that having a plethora of knowledge about LOST has helped me a lot in the neg world as well. A lot of plans, like overfishing and most plans that deal with the Arctic and Russia, could be solved better with the ratification of LOST.

It seems rather open to T,

Sure, but effects t is easy to advocate

plus there's a lot of on-case evidence for it

Yeah? In my opinion, debates where the neg team has nothing oncase to read against you are no fun. Challenges are enjoyable. And there are answers, I've found that the aff answers are newer and better. 

If you're in an area where K's aren't really a thing SSD is pretty cool.

So you need a K now to point out that burying nuclear waste underwater cannot possibly end well?

• Upvote 5

SSD is such a fucked up affirmative. The water and the ocean won't like nuclear waste, they have feelings too. As the great indigenous Hopi prophecy said nature will react when it is harmed whether it be through earthquakes, floods, etc because they don't like nuclear waste. It hurts their feelings when they have nuclear waste dumped on them.

Edited by tommy949

Icebreakers

OMEGA

Antineutrinos

REM Mining

I'm glad no one so far has said generic affs like OSW, nat gas, etc. Those affs can die in the camp from which they came

If you're in an area where K's aren't really a thing SSD is pretty cool.

I <3 SSD.  It's a surpisingly great aff

So you need a K now to point out that burying nuclear waste underwater cannot possibly end well?

Yes, because if you read the evidence, most (tho far from all) authors conclude the risk of leaks is minimal.  Plus no matter what, its a hella of a lot better than what we do now

Also the K vs. SSD debates are actually so fun

SSD is such a fucked up affirmative. The water and the ocean won't like nuclear waste, they have feelings too. As the great indigenous Hopi prophecy said nature will react when it is harmed whether it be through earthquakes, floods, etc because they don't like nuclear waste. It hurts their feelings when they have nuclear waste dumped on them.

notsureifserious

• Upvote 2

Icebreakers

OMEGA

Antineutrinos

REM Mining

I'm glad no one so far has said generic affs like OSW, nat gas, etc. Those affs can die in the camp from which they came

Lol as if OMEGA, REM's, and ice breakers aren't generic camp files. I'd like to point out that Niles North OW runs OSW, so it's clearly not that bad.
  • Upvote 1

Natural Gas isn't actually a bad aff; it can access most advantages, has fairly coherent internal link chains (admittedly, bridge to renewables is full of shit and energy prices are nonunique in the extreme), and has more of a US key warrant than half the affs on this topic.

Lol as if OMEGA, REM's, and ice breakers aren't generic camp files. I'd like to point out that Niles North OW runs OSW, so it's clearly not that bad.

wait so the standard for something being a good case is if a top team ran it? Looks like venezuela oil is a good case!!!! Also OSW is from the college renewables topic Edited by Smitty

REM Mining

This aff has bascially no unique advantages anymore since China decided to comply with the WTO ruling on REM's

Generally the reason Aff's are generic is because they have a lot of solvency advocates, meaning they actually work and make sense.  Now I'll be the first to say OSW is pretty awful, but I don't understand why debaters often have this preconception that generic=bad.  There are both strategic ups and downs to running generic shtuff

Generally the reason Aff's are generic is because they have a lot of solvency advocates, meaning they actually work and make sense.  Now I'll be the first to say OSW is pretty awful, but I don't understand why debaters often have this preconception that generic=bad.  There are both strategic ups and downs to running generic shtuff

LOL OSW is probably one of the best affs on the topic, and I don't even run it. It's hugely successful, the disads are non-existent, it's probably not topical but neither is anything else in this thread, the lit is great on how it solves warming, which is more than can be said for most other things. It's really easy to run as heg/warming which allows you to beat the big stick. It's an excellent aff. 

LOL OSW is probably one of the best affs on the topic, and I don't even run it. It's hugely successful, the disads are non-existent, it's probably not topical but neither is anything else in this thread, the lit is great on how it solves warming, which is more than can be said for most other things. It's really easy to run as heg/warming which allows you to beat the big stick. It's an excellent aff. 

It's true there is next to disad lit base for OSW, but there are a lot of ridiculous disads that it loses to - for instance, Birds DA, Subsidies DA, etc. - it's a good aff, evidence is constantly being poured on the internet (as Niles North OW has shown); but it's not topical so it'll always lose to T (assuming you know how to debate T) 

Unless it's adaptation - warming affs are susceptible to various DA's and CP's; Heg affs are always fun, but I'd with Nat Gas or Icebreakers for that (as Icebreakers accesses a Russia scenario) 

but it's not topical so it'll always lose to T (assuming you know how to debate T) 

You'd be surprised. That's really the only thing they have to answer. I'm saying this having beaten a very good team on T Oceans for OSW. Teams have pretty good justifications for OSW being topical, the problem is the interpretation portion.

it's not topical so it'll always lose to T (assuming you know how to debate T) 

I'm actually curious how OSW is less topical than most other affs. It seems pretty topical to me; I mean, I could fight it on T, but I could fight anything on T.

NOPP is God. It's like LOST on steroids. Solar Desal is good as well in small proportions, each plant we have costs 21 million, puts off no brine bc we model after a US private country,so we are not susceptible to most of the on case people run plus its easy to run critical advantages. 

I'm actually curious how OSW is less topical than most other affs. It seems pretty topical to me; I mean, I could fight it on T, but I could fight anything on T.

you run T on oceans because they don't use the oceans, they harvest the wind on top off the oceans not necessarily anything oceans lol.

you run T on oceans because they don't use the oceans, they harvest the wind on top off the oceans not necessarily anything oceans lol.

That seems really sketchy. Like, if you use a T argument that technical, it's not any more un-T than any other aff, right?