themightycthulhu

Saving files in round

I finished writing a new affirmative that i'm very excited about. it's a Baudrillard Aff, and i have a tournament in the morning that i'm going to break it at. My issue is that i don't want people saving my hours of hard work and next tournament me get destroyed every round because of it. how do i save a document as a flash drive version so that it can't be saved onto their laptops? i've seen other teams do it, but i can't find it online.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also if you're breaking a new aff you probably don't want to announce what the aff you're breaking is. Kind of mitigates some of the strategic advantage of breaking a new aff

• Upvote 5

Why wouldn't you want other teams to cut specific strategies? That would give you an incentive to make the cards and the way you present your 1AC better. You win debate rounds by doing the better debating, not by undercutting the negative's ability to do pre-round preparation. 

• Upvote 3

Using a viewing computer is the easiest way to solve the issue; using paper for the most strategic files is the cheapest. There are computer programs to use, but those are likely proprietary and expensive. You should ask on the college policy debate facebook page.

• Upvote 1

Open sourcing forces better research and better debating. It generally makes the activity more educational and productive.

Stop trying to win debates because the other team has no clue what to say and no way to prepare, it is unproductive and makes the debate pointless for everyone involved.

As said above, if having access to your 1AC means other teams will be able to beat you easily, get a new 1AC.

• Upvote 1

Open sourcing forces better research and better debating. It generally makes the activity more educational and productive.

Stop trying to win debates because the other team has no clue what to say and no way to prepare, it is unproductive and makes the debate pointless for everyone involved.

As said above, if having access to your 1AC means other teams will be able to beat you easily, get a new 1AC.

• Upvote 4

To be honest, as long as all you do is flash what you're reading and not your entire file, it's not like you're really giving anything away. They'll still totally know what you said and could tell people anyway so, flash them like normal. It's not the end of the world.

Why wouldn't you want other teams to cut specific strategies? That would give you an incentive to make the cards and the way you present your 1AC better. You win debate rounds by doing the better debating, not by undercutting the negative's ability to do pre-round preparation. 

But it becomes unfair when there's pre round prep not on both sides.

But it becomes unfair when there's pre round prep not on both sides.

Huh? You need to be prepared to defend you aff against all challengers, and you do get pre-round prep. First, if you actually know your aff you should at least have a rough sketch of what they'll read against it, and even if someone breaks something new against it then you can just prep out back. 

• Upvote 2

If you're confident in what your reading (I.e. Your cards are good[or you think they are], you know what you're talking about if pressed/have to think on the fly, the arch rival team can't pick apart your aff with a reasonable amount of prep [this kinda goes back to cards and knowledge thing, but it also means your backfile, and most likely, your 1ac should never be "done".AGAIN, YOUR BACKFILE IS NEVER DONE, I KNOW LOTS OF GOOD PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO CUT CARDS TO UPDATE THEIR BACKFILE SO THEY NEVER WIN AGAINST TEAMS WHO A.) UNDERSTAND THE AFF B.) ARE GUNNING FOR THEM OR, C.) ARE TRYING NEW STUFF AS WELL, PEOPLE WHO AREN'T AFRAID TO FAIL ARE V DANGEROUS CAUSE THEY'RE UNPREDICTABLE"]

Also, this is only because your running a K aff, and a Baudrillard one at that, make sure your aff isn't just a collection of those cards from scribd and as a link to the topic you read the biosphere 2 card that people spin as eco-managerialism bad when Baudie is only talking about an actual place called biosphere 2. I'm not implying you're doing that, and you can definitely use some neg cards in the aff and vice versa, but it shouldn't just be a loose combination of cards you expect people to fuck up on because it's Baudrillard. 

Also, just because this post may seem semi-harsh, it is, but at the same time, I can relate, i didn't want teams to steal my cards, but then i thought about and bringing a new argument or a new spin on an old argument onto your local or the national circuit and having teams copy you is pretty cool IMO. 

• Upvote 2

Huh? You need to be prepared to defend you aff against all challengers, and you do get pre-round prep. First, if you actually know your aff you should at least have a rough sketch of what they'll read against it, and even if someone breaks something new against it then you can just prep out back

But when people save your case and find specifics that take it down that they didn't  have before then it's not a question of skill it's whether or not you get a hold of the case or the flow.

But when people save your case and find specifics that take it down that they didn't  have before then it's not a question of skill it's whether or not you get a hold of the case or the flow.

You mean specifics that you should be aware of because it's your aff? Every argument you're making applies to debaters on the negative twice as strong. If you don't know enough about the lit base to know what its criticisms are, then frankly, you're doing it wrong.

You mean specifics that you should be aware of because it's your aff? Every argument you're making applies to debaters on the negative twice as strong. If you don't know enough about the lit base to know what its criticisms are, then frankly, you're doing it wrong.

That's not what I'm saying. It becomes unfair though when they get the specifics of your case and can make a case specifically against it, they can provide more clash and also make the judge buy their arguments more than your own. It becomes unfair when a team saves a case when they aren't supposed too, and when they then use that case to prep themselves and their team out on the specific case.

That's not what I'm saying. It becomes unfair though when they get the specifics of your case and can make a case specifically against it, they can provide more clash and also make the judge buy their arguments more than your own. It becomes unfair when a team saves a case when they aren't supposed too, and when they then use that case to prep themselves and their team out on the specific case.

Please tell me I'm being trolled right now.

• Upvote 5