Palindrome

The "No Abuse" argument on T

Sometimes when I run T, the aff will give its normal C/I, counter-standards, etc., but stress that there was no abuse in the round because we ran case-spec DAs, CPs, etc. 

What is an effective way to answer the No Abuse argument (as neg)? 

Sometimes when I run T, the aff will give its normal C/I, counter-standards, etc., but stress that there was no abuse in the round because we ran case-spec DAs, CPs, etc. 

What is an effective way to answer the No Abuse argument (as neg)? 

Just say that it's a stupid argument it's about the quality of the education.  Also, you having to prep out aff's like these means you're forced to research way beyond what you should have to, which means you can never garner in depth education.  Plus, the fact that you can read some generic counter plan out of warming or whatever is not a warrant as to why you should have to be prepared to debate an aff that is structured in whatever way they are.  This sounds coherent in my head but I've gotten very little sleep lately, so if it sounds like babble let me know.

• Upvote 2

Just say that it's a stupid argument it's about the quality of the education.  Also, you having to prep out aff's like these means you're forced to research way beyond what you should have to, which means you can never garner in depth education.  Plus, the fact that you can read some generic counter plan out of warming or whatever is not a warrant as to why you should have to be prepared to debate an aff that is structured in whatever way they are.  This sounds coherent in my head but I've gotten very little sleep lately, so if it sounds like babble let me know.

Well it really depends...if you actually do have DA's and CP's specific to their case...then there probably isn't abuse.

For example, on the college topic, some people add the qualifier of 'only for non-profit' to weed legalization which takes out 

Corporate Weed (Bad) DA

Pharma DA

I-Law DA

Cap K

Neolib K

PIC ground

etc

which shows that there's probably some abuse going on. A good threshold to T is if you're running it because they actually screwed you over (in which case explaining the abuse story should be super easy and obvious) or just because you wanted to fill time in the 1NC, in which case you should probably kick it and go for the DA/CP and case in the 2NC and give your partner the other thing in the 1NR.

• Upvote 3

Well it really depends...if you actually do have DA's and CP's specific to their case...then there probably isn't abuse.

For example, on the college topic, some people add the qualifier of 'only for non-profit' to weed legalization which takes out 

Corporate Weed (Bad) DA

Pharma DA

I-Law DA

Cap K

Neolib K

PIC ground

etc

which shows that there's probably some abuse going on. A good threshold to T is if you're running it because they actually screwed you over (in which case explaining the abuse story should be super easy and obvious) or just because you wanted to fill time in the 1NC, in which case you should probably kick it and go for the DA/CP and case in the 2NC and give your partner the other thing in the 1NR.

God damn I wish I could hit affs that we're even close to that level of topical... 

God damn I wish I could hit affs that we're even close to that level of topical... 

Do you also hate the indigenous, love slavery, and want all the puppies in the world to drown?

• Upvote 4

Do you also hate the indigenous, love slavery, and want all the puppies in the world to drown?

Grouping them together as a homogenous whole. Meh.

Building off MartyP, stress that there was plenty of potential abuse. First, give examples of the kinds of arguments that you didn't get to run. Second, stress that T is about setting a precedent for other teams. Sure, you may have had the resources to prepare, but that doesn't mean that other teams did. You could stress that voting neg on T makes this particular aff team rethink their case, thereby potentially preventing abuse (preventing potential abuse). Finally, explain how there was actual abuse. They may have spiked out of your DAs or CPs.

• Upvote 1

D7 ftw.

Probably not going to get that this weekend though. 

Corporate Weed (Bad) DA

Pharma DA

I-Law DA

Cap K

Neolib K

PIC ground

etc

Pfft I still read neolib against non profit weed affs

All of that increases our chances for extinction... which is good since humans left unchecked will destroy the universe so we need to kill ourselves now. 

#wipeoutisanimpactturntoeverything 

• Upvote 3

If you win competing interpretations, then the question of the debate is which model of the resolution is better, so the abusiveness of a particular aff is irrelevant.

• Upvote 4