MartyP

Best Camps for the Money

I'm starting to try and figure out where I'm going to camp this coming summer and I'd appreciate any advice.  First, my budget is pretty big but not huge.  I can afford somewhere around 4 grand, so stuff like Michigan 7 week and UTNIF 6 week is off the table.  Right now I'm looking at Gonzaga 5 week scholars and Michigan 4 week, but I'm wondering if there are any other top tier camps for comparable prices.  Also possibly relevant, I'll be going into my senior year next year but will be going into my third year of debate, and am hoping to qual to the TOC

I think that you might still be able to go to Michigan 7 Week if you really wanted to due to their financial aid opportunities. The price they're charging (if what I'm reading is correct) is $5950 for 7 Weeks with a $60 application fee (which I think can be avoided if you pay early or something like that). However, if you email Mr. Aaron Kall (akall@umich.edu) who is in charge of the camp and ask for some financial aid, he might be willing to help. I am only able to attend for 4 weeks but want to be in the 7 week lab, and he gave me a discount so I only have to pay $4500. On top of that, he gave me the option for even more financial aid.

One of my friends is going for the whole 7 weeks this summer, so he asked for some financial aid. Mr. Kall gave my friend $2000 in financial aid, which would bring the cost down to $3590, which fits into your $4000 budget that you said earlier.

Just some thoughts. I've never been to Michigan before- I just wanted to let you know about the opportunities for Michigan because I'm applying there as well.

I think that you might still be able to go to Michigan 7 Week if you really wanted to due to their financial aid opportunities. The price they're charging (if what I'm reading is correct) is $5950 for 7 Weeks with a $60 application fee (which I think can be avoided if you pay early or something like that). However, if you email Mr. Aaron Kall (akall@umich.edu) who is in charge of the camp and ask for some financial aid, he might be willing to help. I am only able to attend for 4 weeks but want to be in the 7 week lab, and he gave me a discount so I only have to pay $4500. On top of that, he gave me the option for even more financial aid.

One of my friends is going for the whole 7 weeks this summer, so he asked for some financial aid. Mr. Kall gave my friend $2000 in financial aid, which would bring the cost down to $3590, which fits into your $4000 budget that you said earlier.

Just some thoughts. I've never been to Michigan before- I just wanted to let you know about the opportunities for Michigan because I'm applying there as well.

Are there/what are the requirements for financial aid, because based on my parents income I probably don't qualify for anything that way
  • Upvote 1

Are there/what are the requirements for financial aid, because based on my parents income I probably don't qualify for anything that way

Apply to swing lab is what I would recommend. I applied and asked for financial aid(both for being UDL, and merit based) what I did was apply online at their website and also checked the "UDL Scholarship" and "Merit Based Scolarship". For the merit based you need a letter of recommendation from a coach or lab leader. In addition to having my coach write a letter of rec, i included a short letter on my behalf asking for aid and what not. I'm waiting to hear back because my coach sent in the letter yesterday afternoon.

Apply to swing lab is what I would recommend. I applied and asked for financial aid(both for being UDL, and merit based) what I did was apply online at their website and also checked the "UDL Scholarship" and "Merit Based Scolarship". For the merit based you need a letter of recommendation from a coach or lab leader. In addition to having my coach write a letter of rec, i included a short letter on my behalf asking for aid and what not. I'm waiting to hear back because my coach sent in the letter yesterday afternoon.

Thanks. I've gotta admit though, I'm not 100% sure I'd go to a six or seven week camp even if I could pay for it. I've got a lot of other commitments during the summer and it'd be difficult to spend that much time out of town.

Thanks. I've gotta admit though, I'm not 100% sure I'd go to a six or seven week camp even if I could pay for it. I've got a lot of other commitments during the summer and it'd be difficult to spend that much time out of town.

Yeah.. i feel you 

Yeah, ECLI has great success ratings and has currently some of the best national circuit LDers debating, some notable cxers, and I think it's 2500 or 3000ish?

No. Bhavdawgs friend is not in a position to "qualify" for financial aid if you know what I mean. 

• Upvote 4

lol, normally would your friend qualify for financial aid?

or did he just ask and get it?

lol, normally would your friend qualify for financial aid?

or did he just ask and get it?

The William Bledsoefrat did not normally qualify. He asked.

If they bring it back: WSDI 2014!!!!!!  1200 for 3 weeks.  I've broken in 2 major tourneys as a first year (did non-circuit LD for 2 years),  Admittedly my partner plays a huge factor in our success but WSDI was still really helpful.  And it was really cheap!

K-Lab at Mean Green Workshops. Easily the best staff who not only make you a great debater, but also make you a better person

if you want to go to a K-Lab, I'd suggest Xylum or UTNIF.

if you want to go to a K-Lab, I'd suggest Xylum or UTNIF.

6 weeks is kinda longer than I can do (I have a job and do a sport that I have to train for). Is xylum something that I should do on its own or in addition to another camp?

You could do Xlyum and the Chicago Urban Debate League Camp in in the city- those two paired togther might be ok because you'll get the kritikal side then practing straight with the topic on the policy

6 weeks is kinda longer than I can do (I have a job and do a sport that I have to train for). Is xylum something that I should do on its own or in addition to another camp?

Xylum is 3 weeks, and UTNIF offers a 3 week session. I play baseball all summer, so I know the struggle.

The best "bang-for-buck" camp I've seen is JDI 3. It has really good lab leaders (last year inc. Patrick Kennedy, Brendon Bankey, Mick Sauters, Lindsey Shook, Chris Loghry, James Taylor, Jake Justice and more) and usually pretty decent competition (this varies, however, especially since a lot of the best KS teams in the last two years have emigrated to UMich or Gonzaga, I think competition will be back to a high level again this year). It's relatively inexpensive especially for 3 weeks (compare $2300 for JDI 3 and $4200 for UMich 4, along with, imo, better lab leaders) and is located in literally the most central location of any camp (technically). I've attended 3 straight years of JDI and it helped me a lot.