JaredCroitoru

How to Run DA and also Counterplans sucessfully

I need more things to add to my toolbox than one-off or two-off , but how do i run Counterplan 

tbh - I did forget to add net benefit to it last time i ran one  

This sounds alittle novice like but , Ive usally only ran T or K 

Counterplan needs to solve the case or most of the case.

The counterplan can be either a PIC like states instead of federal do the same plan just not agent or can do a totally different plan like nuclear facilities instead of solar.

The NB is what prevents the CP from getting grouped with the aff via perm (perm theory is a lovely trick to debate) so say solar said warming adv and energy spike advantage, you would say nuclear solves warming as well and energy spikes. Possible net benefits are case turns or da's. So say nuclear is more reliable than solar, and solar would actually cause price spikes, or a da like solar requires rare earth metals which spark a trade war with china, solar cost more than nuclear- spending bad, politics cuz congress hates anything and everything.

The link is most important to the disad, you need a good uniqueness, internal link and impact of course, but those are generic for any round, the link is where you bind the case to the neg flow, and the CP needs to cover the case, poor case coverage will just lead to it may solve 2 advs but they missed our 3rd adv which it's impact alone is enough to vote aff since were the only one that solves it.

Hope that helps. Kinda went basic and scattered brained a bit.

• Upvote 7

Oh lol also how do we run these  Adv CP

When an aff advantage is hard to beat or you just don't feel like debating it, you access it using an advantage cp: a counterplan that solves for that advantage but not necessarily the rest of case

Then read a DA that links to the aff but not to the CP and turn/mitigate the AFF advantages you don't solve for. You win when you weigh the net benefit against the rest of case 

Example: aff reads SMRs with a warming advantage and heg advantage

Then the neg reads a iron fertilization cp that solves warming, an SMRs-specific DA, and heg turns/defense 

• Upvote 2

Except Adv CP's. Not enough people read advantage CP's.

"Perm do both shields the link and means we solve even more better :^) " 

• Upvote 1

When an aff advantage is hard to beat or you just don't feel like debating it, you access it using an advantage cp: a counterplan that solves for that advantage but not necessarily the rest of case

Then read a DA that links to the aff but not to the CP and turn/mitigate the AFF advantages you don't solve for. You win when you weigh the net benefit against the rest of case 

Then the neg reads a iron fertilization cp that solves warming, an SMRs-specific DA, and heg turns/defense 

You can also read it with case turns. For instance, if some poor soul decides to read heg against you, then you can just dump a ton of those turns provided by ARGogate and then advantage CP their warming advantage or whatever (but remember to still put case on the advantage your CP'ing just in case).

Edit, whoops, double posted instead of editing. Sorry :/

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

This be the reason why I run K's - I cry tears of joy when the aff drops root cause AND alt solvency (GIMME DAT PIK DOE) 

• Upvote 4

This be the reason why I run K's - I cry tears of joy when the aff drops root cause AND alt solvency (GIMME DAT PIK DOE) 

My thought process during a recent debate:

Hey, they functionally conceded alt solvency, the link, and the root cause. Why not set up the floating PIK...wait, I'm running Wilderson. ****

• Upvote 1