tacoman71

So we have to debate this at state congress

I qualified for UIL state Congress which is next week and I was floored that this resolution actually got chosen to be one of the legislation. I'm pretty sure virtually everyone is going neg on this so how would I go aff on this?

A Resolution to reform the United States of America into a constitutional monarchy based off the British system

1            WHEREAS,        the success of the British parliamentary system of the United Kingdom of

2                                                            Great Britain and Northern Ireland has sparked calls for the U.S. to

3                                                            transition into constitutional monarchy; and

4            WHEREAS,        the current administration in Washington, D.C. has been under extreme

5                                                            scrutiny to improve their policies that have led to fruition; and

6            WHEREAS,        the current president of the United States of America has been following

7                                                            “imperialist” policies in Iraq and the entire Middle East; and

8            WHEREAS,        the implementation of a new political system may encourage more

9                                                            investing and more careful management of the political landscape of the

10                                                            United States of America;

11            THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the UIL Congress here assembled do call for the

12                                                            reformation of the United States of America into a constitutional

13                                                            monarchy;

14            BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the name of America will now be the Holy American

15                                                            Empire.

14            BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the name of America will now be the Holy American

Edited by tacoman71

I qualified for UIL state Congress which is next week and I was floored that this resolution actually got chosen to be one of the legislation. I'm pretty sure virtually everyone is going neg on this so how would I go aff on this?

A Resolution to reform the United States of America into a constitutional monarchy based off the British system

1            WHEREAS,        the success of the British parliamentary system of the United Kingdom of

2                                                            Great Britain and Northern Ireland has sparked calls for the U.S. to

3                                                            transition into constitutional monarchy; and

4            WHEREAS,        the current administration in Washington, D.C. has been under extreme

5                                                            scrutiny to improve their policies that have led to fruition; and

6            WHEREAS,        the current president of the United States of America has been following

7                                                            “imperialist” policies in Iraq and the entire Middle East; and

8            WHEREAS,        the implementation of a new political system may encourage more

9                                                            investing and more careful management of the political landscape of the

10                                                            United States of America;

11            THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the UIL Congress here assembled do call for the

12                                                            reformation of the United States of America into a constitutional

13                                                            monarchy;

"Holy American Empire" - is this legit? 

Just call yourself the Holy Roman Empire in honor OF THE GREAT NATION OF GERMANY HEIL THE SECOND REICH 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

I've never done congress (policy 5ever) but if you give me a sample aff from a previous topic, I could probs help you out somehow 

Here's an aff about increased investments in advanced nuclear tech. In congress it's pretty much like a normal run of the mill speech

·         Climate change is happening, humans are causing it, and I think this is perhaps the most serious environmental issue facing us.

o   Because I agree with the wise words of Bill Nye The Science Guy, I urge you to affirm this resolution

§  A Resolution to Increase Investment in Advanced Nuclear Technology

o   I affirm this resolution because of many reasons

·         Extreme Weather

o   IPCC synthesis report released November 2nd 2014, there is a high likelihood that climate change will cause severe weather like hurricanes to be more severe, and happen more often

o   Regardless whether you think climate change played a role in Hurricane Sandy, it shows how vulnerable our infrastructure is to extreme weather as it caused millions of dollars in damage.

·         Increases risk of conflict and war

o   The United States Military, one of the most cautious and conservative groups of people, believes that climate change is a national security issue

o   In a new report released by the Pentagon, it states

§  “The impacts of climate change may cause instability in other countries by impairing access to food and water, damaging infrastructure, [and] spreading disease…These developments could undermine already-fragile governments … These gaps in governance can create an avenue for extremist ideologies and conditions that foster terrorism.” 

§  Climate change is a threat multiplier

·         Advanced nuclear technology can solve

o   By its very nature, nuclear reactors do not release CO2

o   Electricity generation amounts to 33% of CO2 emissions according to the EPA

o   These reactors can replace current power plants

·         My opponents will no doubt come up here and bash thorium reactors

o   Arguments with tag lines such as

§  Thorium isn’t a silver bullet

§  The switch to thorium is expensive

o   By negating this resolution, you are dooming this nation and the world to the dangers of climate change

o   Impact calculus, I guarantee climate change will outweigh any disadvantage of thorium reactors

·         If you want to avert a global catastrophe and make the transition to a cleaner future, I urge you to affirm this resolution.

"Holy American Empire" - is this legit? 

Just call yourself the Holy Roman Empire in honor OF THE GREAT NATION OF GERMANY HEIL THE SECOND REICH 

And yeah that's the entire resolution; word for word

rights malthus 

then read the abe Lincoln card that says the US gov's primary oblg is to deal with existential risk.

Edited by KimJongUn

then read the abe Lincoln card that says the US gov's primary oblg is to deal with existential risk.

Oh god please link this to me I need this

• Upvote 1

Extinction still comes first. It is the worst violation of the constitution.

Abraham Lincoln 64[1]

I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel. And yet I have never understood that the Presidency conferred upon me an unrestricted right to act officially upon this judgment and feeling. It was in the oath I took that I would, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. I could not take the office without taking the oath. Nor was it my view that I might take an oath to get power, and break the oath in using the power. I understood, too, that in ordinary civil administration this oath even forbade me to practically indulge my primary abstract judgment on the moral question of slavery. I had publicly declared this many times, and in many ways. And I aver that, to this day, I have done no official act in mere deference to my abstract judgment and feeling on slavery. I did understand however, that my oath to preserve the constitution to the best of my ability, imposed upon me the duty of preserving, by every indispensabale means, that government — that nation — of which that constitution was the organic law. Was it possible to lose the nation, and yet preserve the constitution? By general law life and limb must be protected; yet often a limb must be amputated to save a life; but a life is never wisely given to save a limb. I felt that measures, otherwise unconstitutional, might become lawful, by becoming indispensable to the preservation of the constitution, through the preservation of the nation. Right or wrong, I assumed this ground, and now avow it. I could not feel that, to the best of my ability, I had even tried to preserve the constitution, if, to save slavery, or any minor matter, I should permit the wreck of government, country, and Constitution all together.

[1] Lincoln, Abraham (16th POTUS). Letter to A.G. Hodges. 4 April 1864.

• Upvote 2

Extinction still comes first. It is the worst violation of the constitution.

Abraham Lincoln 64[1]

I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel. And yet I have never understood that the Presidency conferred upon me an unrestricted right to act officially upon this judgment and feeling. It was in the oath I took that I would, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. I could not take the office without taking the oath. Nor was it my view that I might take an oath to get power, and break the oath in using the power. I understood, too, that in ordinary civil administration this oath even forbade me to practically indulge my primary abstract judgment on the moral question of slavery. I had publicly declared this many times, and in many ways. And I aver that, to this day, I have done no official act in mere deference to my abstract judgment and feeling on slavery. I did understand however, that my oath to preserve the constitution to the best of my ability, imposed upon me the duty of preserving, by every indispensabale means, that government — that nation — of which that constitution was the organic law. Was it possible to lose the nation, and yet preserve the constitution? By general law life and limb must be protected; yet often a limb must be amputated to save a life; but a life is never wisely given to save a limb. I felt that measures, otherwise unconstitutional, might become lawful, by becoming indispensable to the preservation of the constitution, through the preservation of the nation. Right or wrong, I assumed this ground, and now avow it. I could not feel that, to the best of my ability, I had even tried to preserve the constitution, if, to save slavery, or any minor matter, I should permit the wreck of government, country, and Constitution all together.

[1] Lincoln, Abraham (16th POTUS). Letter to A.G. Hodges. 4 April 1864.

Wow thanks for the share. This will really come in handy soon. The problem now is that I need to prove that the US must convert to a constitutional monarchy in order to prevent an existential crisis.

rights malthus 

And can you explain rights malthus a little more? I live in an area where if you run a K, you are considered a complete asshole who deserves to go to hell so I'm not too acquainted with philosophical concepts.

And can you explain rights malthus a little more? I live in an area where if you run a K, you are considered a complete asshole who deserves to go to hell so I'm not too acquainted with philosophical concepts.

It's the anti-K.  Freedom is bad because we need eco-authoritarianism in order to prevent climate change.  More control sooner = the better.