CarlaR

Partner appreciation

My partner, like many others, will save my ass when I get too into the 1ar, and she makes sure to tone it down a bit to level it out. We weren't partners our novice year last year, but both our partner quit policy and we ended up together, and I am thankful for getting a partner that puts in as much work as I do which def wasn't the case last year. For example, this year we went to a pretty competitive tournament as our first varsity tournament back in October and we ended up going 0-4, but she kept me from getting my spirit crushed and pulled me through and before I know it, we're breaking a lot more than we expected. Also she's willing to look into k's with me which is looked down upon in the circuit I'm in. I just think it's really important to have a partnership where the workload is balanced out and one isn't doing substantially more than the other.

UPDATE: my partner just emailed me a bunch of cards we've been looking for plus she cut cards on why House of Cards is the best

Edited by apot7372
  • Upvote 2

Oh, and I've seen his dick. That was very much a thing that happened.

The sign of a true partnership.

• Upvote 3

The sign of a true partnership.

So the story behind that one was he had a power trip when he turned 18 and on his blog he was like "Wait guys I can now legally post nudes. Should I? Should I? I'm going for it." I didn't think he was gonna actually do it so I clicked to see the full post expecting some stupid meme because he's done stuff like that before, but there he was and there it was. It's a nice dick, at least. Probably top 10 of the dicks I've seen.

• Upvote 3

So the story behind that one was he had a power trip when he turned 18 and on his blog he was like "Wait guys I can now legally post nudes. Should I? Should I? I'm going for it." I didn't think he was gonna actually do it so I clicked to see the full post expecting some stupid meme because he's done stuff like that before, but there he was and there it was. It's a nice dick, at least. Probably top 10 of the dicks I've seen.

Pics or it didn't happen 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 8

Oh, and I've seen his dick. That was very much a thing that happened.

This is just a debate thing (@ least @ my school) I've seen all the guy debaters junk

This is just a debate thing (@ least @ my school) I've seen all the guy debaters junk

I mean, speaking personally I've never seen any debaters junk, so it may not be a debate thing.

• Upvote 4

I mean, speaking personally I've never seen any debaters junk, so it may not be a debate thing.

A. Same, I'm the only girl in varsity and I've never seen any of our debaters' junk so probably not a debate thing

B. What has this thread turned into

• Upvote 2

I haven't seen all, but I just assumed some debate teams had those weird kids haha.

I haven't seen all, but I just assumed some debate teams had those weird kids haha.

Yeah, I thought all the girls in debate were getting sexually harassed.  At least, that's what they told me.  Right? Right?

Oh shit

• Upvote 3

My partner and another male debater had outline competitions in our hotel room. It is not just your squad.

post is a little emotional.

I never have pens or paper on hand. I just show up with my laptop and myself because it never crosses my mind, he's always saving my ass on that.

Last tournament he made me change because I looked dumb...admittedly. Nothing matched correctly. I don't know what happened.

He puts up with even some of my most radical k theory, and has became quite the 

k-debater himself.

I used to have a real problem with keeping my cool in round and outside during my freshmen year. He pulled me out of two almost physical fights my freshmen year during separate tournaments. One was Parli State if I remember correctly? I would also just get into stupid pointless jabs during CX and be rude, etc. etc.

He helped me get over that.

One day he said something along the lines of "look it doesn't matter if you think you're better than them, or even if you are, when you can't keep it under control, you lose. It's a community, let's make friends not enemies."

My partner has been one of my best friends for around 6 years now and has been one of the only people I've had in my life even during some of my darkest times. He has kept me up when I'm down on life and brought me back down to earth when I've been in over my head. Whenever I've needed cheering up the dude's been there for me but he also knows when to give me space. My partner is one of the few people who actually understand how my brain and personality works, and pushes me for success as much as I push him. He's one of the few people who share the same natural competitive drive which I posses and that only debate can quench, and is willing to work as hard as me to succeed to our full capacity.

He was one of the very first people who I came out to and told that I was gay, which I did during a tournament this year waiting for awards. He showed instant care and support, which was expected because he's not a bigot, but it still meant a a whole lot just to hear his response. That kind of thing is what bands people together and I will never forget that. 

In round and outside, whether with his seriousness and actual caring-ness or sarcastically telling me I suck and the 1 I pulled was just judge pity or asking me how bad my extemp speech was, "under two minutes right?", he's always pushing me to perform at my absolute highest and helping me better myself not only as competitor, but as an individual too. I would bet that I would be a different person today and not on the same level of competiveness w/o his influence.  

even if I pick up the slack sometimes during CX and rebuttals (;

whoever my CEDA partner is, because sadly he will not being competing collegiately, they'll never quite compare to my HS partner. thanks for being awesome Jay. luckily we've still got a year and one quarter left of competition. 

(don't let him see this post because he'll never let me live it down)

Edited by JulianBHS
  • Upvote 4

post is a little emotional.

I never have pens or paper on hand. I just show up with my laptop and myself because it never crosses my mind, he's always saving my ass on that.

Last tournament he made me change because I looked dumb...admittedly. Nothing matched correctly. I don't know what happened.

He puts up with even some of my most radical k theory, and has became quite the 

k-debater himself.

I used to have a real problem with keeping my cool in round and outside during my freshmen year. He pulled me out of two almost physical fights my freshmen year during separate tournaments. One was Parli State if I remember correctly? I would also just get into stupid pointless jabs during CX and be rude, etc. etc.

He helped me get over that.

One day he said something along the lines of "look it doesn't matter if you think you're better than them, or even if you are, when you can't keep it under control, you lose. It's a community, let's make friends not enemies."

My partner has been my best friend for around 6 years now and has been one of the only people I've had in my life even during some of my darkest times. He has kept me up when I'm down on life and brought me back down to earth when I've been in over my head. Whenever I've needed cheering up the dude's been there for me but he also knows when to give me space. My partner is one of the few people who actually understand how my brain and personality works, and pushes me for success as much as I push him. He's one of the few people who share the same natural competitive drive which I posses and that only debate can quench, and is willing to work as hard as me to succeed to our full capacity.

He was one of the very first people who I came out to and told that I was gay, which I did during a tournament this year waiting for awards. He showed instant care and support, which was expected because he's not a bigot, but it still meant a a whole lot just to hear his response. That kind of thing is what bands people together and I will never forget that. 

In round and outside, whether with his seriousness and actual caring-ness or sarcastically telling me I suck and the 1 I pulled was just judge pity or asking me how bad my extemp speech was, "under two minutes right?", he's always pushing me to perform at my absolute highest and helping me better myself not only as competitor, but as an individual too. I would bet that I would be a different person today and not on the same level of competiveness w/o his influence.  

even if I pick up the slack sometimes during CX and rebuttals (;

whoever my CEDA partner is, because sadly he will not being competing collegiately, they'll never quite compare to my HS partner. thanks for being awesome Jay. luckily we've still got a year and one quarter left of competition. 

(don't let him see this post because he'll never let me live it down)

Hehehehe

• Upvote 1

My partner is my inspiration to succeed. She is incredibly talented in almost every aspect of debate, and the ones that she isn't we learn together. She seems to have no limit to her work ethic, strategic skill, or competitive spirit. When I say she's my inspiration to succeed, I mean it. I am incredibly competitive, as is she, and I have come so far just trying to catch up with her. I still haven't; in fact, her lead has only gotten bigger. But she's a wonderful partner, and a great friend. I wouldn't trade her for anyone.

• Upvote 1

My partner is my inspiration to succeed. She is incredibly talented in almost every aspect of debate, and the ones that she isn't we learn together. She seems to have no limit to her work ethic, strategic skill, or competitive spirit. When I say she's my inspiration to succeed, I mean it. I am incredibly competitive, as is she, and I have come so far just trying to catch up with her. I still haven't; in fact, her lead has only gotten bigger. But she's a wonderful partner, and a great friend. I wouldn't trade her for anyone.

I would say literally almost the exact same thing about my partner (who is totally not the person who posted this at all). He's probably one of, if not the, smartest person I've ever met and is brilliant at coming up with ideas. He's also a fantastic speaker and because we're both way too competitive we both push each other really well to succeed and improve. I switched partners earlier in the year because my old one left policy for LD, and I'm so glad that I did because I couldn't imagine debating without my current partner. 

• Upvote 2

My partner and I are only freshmen and we've been partners since we went to camp. We both did middle school parli and went to different schools, and decided to go to policy camp because our school now is all policy all the time. We randomly decided on speaker positions, and they've worked out pretty nicely. We ended up winning the novice division at camp, much to both of our surprise. We've been partners since then, and I'm really glad we have been. She has saved us in CX more times than I can count and thinks of the most clever ways to win - we won an elim round by conceding our aff in the 2ar, thanks to her quick thinking in the last 20 seconds of prep. We both are super competitive and HATE losing, and we both feel the same way about most people at tournaments. I'm glad she's my partner and I hope she continues to be!

• Upvote 3

I originally did PoFo my Freshman year, and after joining in December and getting partnered up with the biggest jackass I was doing as well as one can in PoFo as a freshman. I was getting placing well, earning speaker awards, placing in extemp/improptu, and generally succeeding. But my partner was really holding me back so I dropped him and moved on to my current partner who somehow stays oddly calm when dumb things happen, and is an exceptionally good debater. He puts up with my K heavy BS and makes sure that our wins seem clear and easy in the Final Focus.

My social anxiety and his natural shyness make it difficult to be close friends, but our mutual respect helps us do well and keep clear. 

I'm moving on to LD and Policy so I can try and make some social change that isn't particularly possible in PF. Hopefully he'll come with.

• Upvote 1

My partner (annabellelong08) and I are both freshmen and have been policy partners since debate camp at Gonzaga this past summer, after having competed against one another in middle school parli.  She's a great 2N, and we've been pretty successful together, from (unexpectedly) winning the novice tournament at camp to being 1st JV seed at Berkley (though we dropped in octos)!  As she said in the above post, we have similar opinions on most topics and are both extremely competitive, so we definitely work well. I'm so glad that we're partners and can't wait for the next three years together!

• Upvote 3

My partner is one of my best friends! She never gets pissed when she has to take framework in the 1NR.

Reneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <3 

Your partner is da best haha 

• Upvote 1

My partner is one of my best friends! She never gets pissed when she has to take framework in the 1NR.

The only reason people should be upset at taking FW in the 1NR is because they didn't get to take 9 minutes of it in the 2NC.

• Upvote 1

The only reason people should be upset at taking FW in the 1NR is because they didn't get to take 9 minutes of it in the 2NC.

well... that escalated