CarlaR

Partner appreciation

What's the greatest thing your partner has ever done for you? Both in/out of a round.

My 2a is pretty rad and saves my butt in cross-ex when i'm humiliating myself.

• Upvote 2

I have never had a stable partner (different partner each tournament in my entire high school debate career) 

But I guess if it's about funny stuff - one of my partners computers blue-screened right before his 1AR when we were up against Notre Dame in Prelims (We won that round - I did a stand-up 2AR and yolo-ed it)

Another one of my partners held my coffee while I put my computer away (at a different tournament) 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 5

My partner in High School took rounds that I thought were unwinable on T and won them because he was just that sly of a person. 

My current partner debates exactly like me but with far more knowledge of the K and is willing to follow my judgement and vice-versa in round.

He followed me when I walked out of a round where the framework was "whoever destroys debate the best should win" because he understood why I was walking out of the round (Can't debate if a team refuses to) and that was rad. 

• Upvote 2

My partner in High School took rounds that I thought were unwinable on T and won them because he was just that sly of a person. 

My current partner debates exactly like me but with far more knowledge of the K and is willing to follow my judgement and vice-versa in round.

He followed me when I walked out of a round where the framework was "whoever destroys debate the best should win" because he understood why I was walking out of the round (Can't debate if a team refuses to) and that was rad. 

Did you win the round?

• Upvote 4

Wtf?

My current partner is so awesome. He's one of my best friends, is amazing with K's, and one of the funniest people I've ever met. 

Edited by Hannahkiin
  • Upvote 1

Once my partner brought up a K in the 1NR that hadn't been introduced into the debate at all. Even now it's hard for me not to laugh when I think about the look on everyone's faces. Our opponents got up and asked the judge, "Can she do that?"

Warning: This is about to get really sappy. My partner is my support system in everything I do. Out of nowhere, she came into my life the beginning of sophomore year. She's the only person who understands how much I love debate and shares the dream of making it to the TOC with me.

• Upvote 7

Once my partner brought up a K in the 1NR that hadn't been introduced into the debate at all. Even now it's hard for me not to laugh when I think about the look on everyone's faces. Our opponents got up and asked the judge, "Can she do that?"

Warning: This is about to get really sappy. My partner is my support system in everything I do. Out of nowhere, she came into my life the beginning of sophomore year. She's the only person who understands how much I love debate and shares the dream of making it to the TOC with me.

first post in this thread that made me "awww"

• Upvote 3

Hahaha: My partner and I introduced a new K in the 2NC and made the block -

The Debate is the slave plaintation - theirfor the team who doesnt debate wins the round because then we rejected the plaination mindset ,and it "burned it down" theirfor  it was 8 minute speech of explaining the arguement , 

and yeah the 1NR was her just screwing around talking or doing nothing

And yeah my partner use to let me do whatever I wanted 

now no

My partner has been my partner for like exactly a year now and she's pretty rad. She's at the same skill level as me(which, Lord knows is hard to find in my circuit), she buys me food, and she's a good friend. She's the 2A and has saved our asses many a time when I get too carried away in my 1AR.

Edited by arguablythebest
  • Upvote 1

My partner is pretty cool; we've been partners for about a year. On our circuit, it's hard to find a good partner, so I'm glad I did. We're on the same skill level, but I will admit he does more work than me because I'm sort of lazy, and that work has saved us many times in round. My partner is also a good friend and a great 2N.

Edited by policykicksaff

My partner is awesome! But my favorite thing about her is she knows how to calm me down during cross x when I am fired up. 

Edited by Garret
  • Upvote 1

Hahaha: My partner and I introduced a new K in the 2NC and made the block -

The Debate is the slave plaintation - theirfor the team who doesnt debate wins the round because then we rejected the plaination mindset ,and it "burned it down" theirfor  it was 8 minute speech of explaining the arguement , 

and yeah the 1NR was her just screwing around talking or doing nothing

And yeah my partner use to let me do whatever I wanted 

now no

What was the point of debating then <_<?

During one round last year, I was being cross-x-ed after my 2AC. Suddenly, my debate partner walked up to where I was standing, saying that he needed to see something on my computer. I was confused because he had the speechdoc and all of the files on his computer as well, and I would need to see the evidence if referenced in cross-x. Then, out of nowhere, he grabbed my computer and smashed it onto the ground for no apparent reason, creating a huge dent and cracking the screen. I still do not know why that happened, and whenever I ask him, he says, "It slipped."

• Upvote 1

During one round last year, I was being cross-x-ed after my 2AC. Suddenly, my debate partner walked up to where I was standing, saying that he needed to see something on my computer. I was confused because he had the speechdoc and all of the files on his computer as well, and I would need to see the evidence if referenced in cross-x. Then, out of nowhere, he grabbed my computer and smashed it onto the ground for no apparent reason, creating a huge dent and cracking the screen. I still do not know why that happened, and whenever I ask him, he says, "It slipped."

Wait so he smashed your computer? Did you keep debating? Did you make him pay for it? Did you drop him as partner? 

I think a computer is as important as a flash drive (no email chains over here) to a debater 

• Upvote 1

2ac kinda trolled me so i kinda just thought of something kinda legit , and kinda screwed up at that ,  We made it a form of protest for a kinda queerphobic 2AC , we kinda went like Debate Space bad - this round is our protest against it , 

• Upvote 2

2ac kinda trolled me so i kinda just thought of something kinda legit , and kinda screwed up at that ,  We made it a form of protest for a kinda queerphobic 2AC , we kinda went like Debate Space bad - this round is our protest against it , 

ok got you

Otherwise we wouldve probably kicked the Kritik and go for the conceed the CP , DA and Impact turns to case 

but i though they shouldve lost on a queerphobic

I have had only 2 different partners throughout my debate career, and both were really awesome. my current partner is a fap-cocooning Mexicat and if it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't enjoy debate anywhere near as much. He went from being on our bottom team novice year to easily being the best debater on our team (even though I'll never admit that to his face) 

• Upvote 1

I have had only 2 different partners throughout my debate career, and both were really awesome. my current partner is a fap-cocooning Mexicat and if it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't enjoy debate anywhere near as much. He went from being on our bottom team novice year to easily being the best debater on our team (even though I'll never admit that to his face) 

I'm having a hard time deciphering if this is racist or not.

• Upvote 7

Well, I didn't really have a stable partner until now (sophmore year). Then, one day, one of the freshman I had known for a while and been friends with decided to take debate his freshman year and went to a local camp w/ me. For someone who had never done debate, he was hella good at it. So, I started debating with him. We hit the ground running, only going to varsity tournaments our whole year, but we won our locals or got 2nd at them, and went 3-3 in varsity at both our national tourneys so far, which is pretty good for a freshman-soph team. He's also willing to read my crazy aff ideas, be it Deleuze and Guattari or Finding Nemo, or just switch to a straight up defense of heg and nuke war, which is cool. 

TL;DR: Partners are awesome. 

Edit: Also, my partner is one of my favorite people of all time because he shares hope of getting to the TOC and winning tourneys and stuff, and he is willing to do work (sometimes more so than I am). 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool
  • Upvote 1

Bhavish telling this story again?

EDIT: Btw I have seen BhavDawg's laptop (his partner was also my brother at this time lol) there's a bit of a scratch. 

Edited by Arturo
  • Upvote 1

My partner came back to debate after he thought it would be all over.

We were partners last year, and towards the end of the year we decide to change partners for 2014. State (we thought) was our last tournament together, we went 3-3 which was disappointing to say the least, we had a rough day 1 with flay judges. With no chance of breaking we won our first round (lay) on day two and then finally had a flow judge round 6. We figured we could win whether or not we ran our K aff, but we decided it was our last debate together so we should do what we did best. We ran our K aff and won our final debate of the year.

My partner was scheduled to debate with a transfer student from a nearby school, however our state's governing body (KSHSAA) refused to let the transfer student debate. I had already started working with a new partner. My old partner dropped out of camp, because it looked like he wasn't going to debate. I finished camp on a high note, winning the tournament while partnering with the transfer student (who now, although enrolled at SME currently debates for Johnson County Community College). Unfortunately my new partner and I had a falling out after camp, and suddenly I was left without a partner. Just a few days before the school year started I called Jack (my old partner) to see if he could debate this year. He came back after he was essentially told he wouldn't be debating this year, and we've had a ton of success, including a breaking record at gbx (5-2, missed on speaks), and we qualified to (CFL) nationals our first time. Jack saved my season, and for that I am really grateful. 

• Upvote 4