deb8lover

What is a Kritikal Aff and how do you respond to it?

First off, sorry if this has been asked before. The search function is sorta not working on my phone, but anyway...

What is a kritikal aff? Could you please explain in the simplest terms, like to a lay judge? I haven't run into this yet and I'd really like to know what it is before I run into it. Can you use it in policy debate, or am I getting stuff mixed up (where is it used?)

Once you know what it is, how do you debate against it. Obviously you can't read like a Counterplan (or can you?). Where would I find files against it (would they be on Open Ev?)

Just some clarification for a novice. Thanks!

Edited by smdebater

Here's my recommendation: spend the first 7 minutes of the 1NC playing snippets of Bob Marley, and then read this

works every time

The world is cold, and suffering is the only serious modality of existence—there is no escape from life’s horrors

Cioran, 10 (Emil Cioran, Romanian philosopher, “The Book of Delusions,” p. 62)

––The desire to embrace the stars! Why are truths so cold? When rationality was born, the sun was long since shining. And rationality is not born out of the sun. ––To suffer is the supreme modality of taking the world seriously. Thus is born the conflict between the feeling of suffering, which confers an absolute value on the outside causes and the world, and theoretical perspective, arisen out of suffering, for which the world is nothing. Out of this paradox of suffering there is no escape. ––There is a region of ultimate alternatives, which ends in the simultaneous temptation of sainthood and of crime. Why is it that humanity produced more criminals than saints? If man really looked for happiness as insistently as they say, why is it that he chooses with such violent passion the downwards paths? Man respects happiness and goodness more, but is even more attracted to unhappiness and evil. Three quarters of humanity could have become sacred, if it wanted. But one cannot know, alas, who revealed it to people that there is no other life than the one in hell… ––Sainthood is the victorious struggle with time. The way in which the saint manages to kill time within himself is mind-boggling and beyond everything. To be in time means living in this everything. Time is the frame around this everything, and works as everything. Sainthood: to be beyond everything, but in and with love. How monotonous the life of saints, because they can only be saints. Sainthood: existence lived in one single absolute dimension. Saints can also hear the voices of the world; but they only speak of the pains that have become love; these are the voices of a single world. Let me turn to the music in which the worlds speak, the other worlds… ––Which solitude is the one in which the snake caresses us and licks our cheeks and our lips? How far have we distanced ourselves from being, when only the snake can be with us? ––Two things that I don’t understand: nostalgia in a stupid man, and the death of a ridiculous man. ––All men must destroy their lives. And according to the way in which they do it they call themselves winners or losers.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

this is a REALLY generic question, so its pretty hard to answer in any helpful way. Basically, a kritikal affirmative is when the aff does not claim to defend fiated action by the USFG, and instead they usually tend to centralize their advocacy around a structural problem (usually instances of Structural violence such as racism, sexism, etc.) 
most critical affs will utilize philosophical literature, and they will utilize a more individual-based moral framework rather than the default utilitarian framework that most policy arguments function under. 
the most generic argument to run against critical affs is framework - this argument usually says that the aff must defend the USFG, or that they must have a policy option, or they can only read their argument on neg, or must relate to the topic more specifically, etc.

the best way to debate against a critical aff is to read offense specific to their literature

A kritikal aff generally refers to an aff that doesn't defend USFG action.  Some such affs defend the rest of the resolution, but advocate individual action instead of governmental action, and others explicitly say the resolution is false.  In general, they make arguments about defending the state being unethical or simulating government action being bad pedagogy.  

• Upvote 2

Obviously you can't read like a Counterplan (or can you?). Where would I find files against it (would they be on Open Ev?)

Well you actually can run a counterplan against a kritikal aff, such as the "Middle Passage" PIC, for the Middle Passage aff.

And I guess you could run the Open Forum CP

Edited by totalnoob

You respond to a K aff similarly to how you respond to a policy aff, it's just that the lit bases are different. Instead of saying that offshore wind is bad, you say that eco-fem is bad. For your offcase you can run counter kritiks (paralleling the role of DA's) and/or framework generally, and if they are soft left (K advs with a plan text) you can run DA's and util. Counterplans can also work to solve the harms of the aff with arguments about why government action is key or solves better if you want to go that route.

As far as counter K's go, Orthodox Marxism is the usual go to, and Nietzsche is also frequently run against identity politics affs (look at Wounded Attachments by Wendy Brown for an example)

the best way to debate against a critical aff is to read offense specific to their literature

where can I find an example of this ev somewhere? or does it all have to be homecut?

Edited by smdebater

Nietzsche is also frequently run against identity politics affs (look at Wounded Attachments by Wendy Brown for an example)

dat suffering good doe

• Upvote 1

Here's my recommendation: spend the first 7 minutes of the 1NC playing snippets of Bob Marley, and then read this

works every time

The world is cold, and suffering is the only serious modality of existence—there is no escape from life’s horrors

Cioran, 10 (Emil Cioran, Romanian philosopher, “The Book of Delusions,” p. 62)

––The desire to embrace the stars! Why are truths so cold? When rationality was born, the sun was long since shining. And rationality is not born out of the sun. ––To suffer is the supreme modality of taking the world seriously. Thus is born the conflict between the feeling of suffering, which confers an absolute value on the outside causes and the world, and theoretical perspective, arisen out of suffering, for which the world is nothing. Out of this paradox of suffering there is no escape. ––There is a region of ultimate alternatives, which ends in the simultaneous temptation of sainthood and of crime. Why is it that humanity produced more criminals than saints? If man really looked for happiness as insistently as they say, why is it that he chooses with such violent passion the downwards paths? Man respects happiness and goodness more, but is even more attracted to unhappiness and evil. Three quarters of humanity could have become sacred, if it wanted. But one cannot know, alas, who revealed it to people that there is no other life than the one in hell… ––Sainthood is the victorious struggle with time. The way in which the saint manages to kill time within himself is mind-boggling and beyond everything. To be in time means living in this everything. Time is the frame around this everything, and works as everything. Sainthood: to be beyond everything, but in and with love. How monotonous the life of saints, because they can only be saints. Sainthood: existence lived in one single absolute dimension. Saints can also hear the voices of the world; but they only speak of the pains that have become love; these are the voices of a single world. Let me turn to the music in which the worlds speak, the other worlds… ––Which solitude is the one in which the snake caresses us and licks our cheeks and our lips? How far have we distanced ourselves from being, when only the snake can be with us? ––Two things that I don’t understand: nostalgia in a stupid man, and the death of a ridiculous man. ––All men must destroy their lives. And according to the way in which they do it they call themselves winners or losers.

Wanna do a Vdebate?

• Upvote 5

Wanna do a Vdebate?

If lolwut doesn't want to debate I'm down to Nietzsche. Apologies in advance if the formatting is goofy for this post, I'm doing this from my phone

First off, sorry if this has been asked before. The search function is sorta not working on my phone, but anyway...

What is a kritikal aff? Could you please explain in the simplest terms, like to a lay judge? I haven't run into this yet and I'd really like to know what it is before I run into it. Can you use it in policy debate, or am I getting stuff mixed up (where is it used?)

Once you know what it is, how do you debate against it. Obviously you can't read like a Counterplan (or can you?). Where would I find files against it (would they be on Open Ev?)

Just some clarification for a novice. Thanks!

Every aff describes a problem and a potential solution or something you are going to do about the problem. Most policy affs try to solve the problem which is future extinction or what ever impact yall defend. A Kritikal aff on the other hand looks at a different type of problem and proposes a different type of solution. An example would be a settlerism aff. The problem is that indigenous people are being genocided in the status quo and we need to give back the land to the indigenous people to solve genocide (This is obvi a gross oversimplification but you get the idea) 

Unlike policy affs kritikal affs dont advocate for the same method for solving/mitigating its impact. Many times kritikal affs will try to advocate for personal politics and performative analysis of oppressive institutions etc...  

As for answering it. The best way is to not get intimidated by the jargon or radical nature of the aff. Just break it down and look at the potential inconsistencies. There is no one size fit all strat with k affs because the lit base is so varied. Its best to prepare to engage with the nuance of each aff. I recommend reading kritiks of method or starting point kritiks things like that. Even if you never plan on being a kritikal debater its important for you to read and read a lot. You should have a grasp of the major knowledge basis. This will help you a lot when it comes to understanding the indv nuances of each k aff.

I know this is a gross oversimplification of K affs but this is an easy way to look at it    

• Upvote 1

Thanks, that was really helpful! Is T even important in these debates? Because it doesn't seem like many are topical at all, but I mean, if T held the same significance, then every K aff would just lose on T, right?

Edited by smdebater

Thanks, that was really helpful! Is T even important in these debates? Because it doesn't seem like many are topical at all, but I mean, if T held the same significance, then every K aff would just lose on T, right?

Topicality is the worst argument to run because teams have a 30 point block to Topicality. If they defend Afropessism, run Afrooptimism. Kritikal affs just force people to go into more research bases. Pretty sure indigneous scholars answer other indigneous scholars.

My tendency in judging these teams like that they overrely on role of the judge/role of the ballot arguments, just impact turn them and say their role of the judge/role of the ballot arguments are a form of self recognition to make themselves more happy instead of actually finding survival tactics/liberation strategies for themselves.

• Downvote 1

They impact turn Topicality. As in T is policing radical politics. Some debaters can't read topical affs so forcing them to do so is problematic. Know what im saying. 

The T arg you are talking about is called FW (T in some cases) Which says that the Aff must defend a topical usfg plan. THis isnt always the case but it usually is 

As someone who reads an afropessimism aff and goes for it in 90% of my 2nrs. No 

Meh, yeah, it's shitter than the recognition politics argument that the white Man can never affirm what's good for black people

As someone who reads an afropessimism aff and goes for it in 90% of my 2nrs. No 

Remember kids, Wilderson turns himself almost as much as Zizek and in most Wilderson rounds you answer him with more of him. Though, I'm not familiar enough with other authors to comment about them. 

Meh, yeah, it's shitter than the recognition politics argument that the white Man can never affirm what's good for black people

You talking about hartman white empathy 

cause that shit is amazing 

Hartman, Andrea Smith, and now alexander wehelyiye can't spell his name right, and tuck and yang lol( white guilt, settler guilt)

Umm no i think you are mischaracterizing legit args