Palindrome

T - Exploration and/or development

Me and my partner once hit a LOST aff and ran T - development. The aff team then answered it by defending T - exploration claiming that since the resolution said "exploration and/or development" they only have to be topical to one of the terms (either development or exploration).

Is that a valid way to answer T? How should the neg answer their claims if the aff defends T like that?

It is a legit way to answer it in my opinion.  I debated a team in quarters at a tourney and we ran T-Development, they answered it with a T-Development definition and a T-Exploration definition just to stick it to us.

The way I would pin them down is ask which of the two they are in the 1AC CX.

The other way to get around it is do they really meet their own T-exploration definition?  Another problem I have with LOST T wise is that it seems like probably the most effectually topical aff on the topic... which can be a standard in your T-development shell, and by reading t-exploration they wouldn't avoid that violation.

• Upvote 1

I simply make the Dev T argument and put Extra T and FX T into my standards. Prove they dont meet their counter interp b/c they're FX and you dont even have to win the interp debate, all you have to win is the Extra T and FX T bad debate.

• Downvote 1

I simply make the Dev T argument and put Extra T and FX T into my standards. Prove they dont meet their counter interp b/c they're FX and you dont even have to win the interp debate, all you have to win is the Extra T and FX T bad debate.

this is not true at all. If you don't win the interp debate, then you can't win effects or extra. Without having a clear interp of expo or dev, then how can you claim that they are not direct expo or dev? If you say X only leads to Y, but you don't have a working definition of exactly what Y is, then you have no basis for claiming that X isn't Y in and of itself

• Upvote 1

I think a reason why LOST doesn't meet T-development is because it's extra-T. It includes other laws and regulations that are not ocean development. If you use that as one of your 1NC violations and they read T-exploration, they you can cross-apply the violation as an extra-T argument.

For example, if you make the argument that LOST extends surface requirements to vessels (which is not ocean development), and the other team reads T-exploration, then you can say that they don't meet their interp of exploration either because extending surface requirements to vessels is not increasing ocean exploration. Just some thoughts.

• Upvote 2

this is not true at all. If you don't win the interp debate, then you can't win effects or extra. Without having a clear interp of expo or dev, then how can you claim that they are not direct expo or dev? If you say X only leads to Y, but you don't have a working definition of exactly what Y is, then you have no basis for claiming that X isn't Y in and of itself

But if their C/I means X only leads to Y and X isn't Y then you can still win FX T bad and get a voter on that.

But yeah, if you're going for T it won't hurt to ask if they're exploration or development.

Edited by Rigbert

If you can't get them on FX-T or Extra T than I think the way they answered it is 100% legit. I think the whole and/or makes it clear that in can be one or the other or both. 

But if their C/I means X only leads to Y and X isn't Y then you can still win FX T bad and get a voter on that.

this is why you must win an interp to win extra/effects T. In this scenario, you are conceding their C/I as a basis for the violation, and thusly the standards of extra/effects

this is why you must win an interp to win extra/effects T. In this scenario, you are conceding their C/I as a basis for the violation, and thusly the standards of extra/effects

Ah, you're right. I just felt the phrasing of "winning the interp debate" is meaning that your C/I is superior rather than analysis on their C/I.