deb8lover

smdebater (aff) vs totalnoob (neg) [oceans] "novice"

Alright, let's get started. Usual rules, etc. Heres the 1AC, its a litle under 2000 words.

Could anyone judge this one? Thanks so much.

The 1AC:

Edited by smdebater

Okay cross-x
1. Will the plan curtail plastic production/usage?
2. Will the plan happen in all five gyres?

3. Where does the CCC 14 card in Contention 1 say that the plastic will carry invasive species? It appears to simply state that "non-native species" are carried.
4. Okay now on Contention 3. The U.S. is making technological progress right now - how is the plan the only thing that'll maintain U.S. technological primacy?
5. Why do we need the United States federal government to do the plan, as opposed to solely private companies?

6. What's your opinion on capitalism?

7. What's your opinion on Slavoj Zizek?

8. What's your opinion on Martin Heidegger?

9. What's your opinion on Friedrich Nietzsche?
10. What's your opinion on Georges Bataille?
11. What's your opinion on Michel Foucault?
12. What's your opinion on Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari?
13. What's your opinion on Jean Baudrillard?
14. What's your opinion on Arthur Schopenhauer?

There will probably be follow-up questions.

Edited by totalnoob

I can't quite tell if you are trying to troll or not

• Upvote 3

Okay cross-x

No

2. Will the plan happen in all five gyres?

Yes

3. Where does the CCC 14 card in Contention 1 say that the plastic will carry invasive species? It appears to simply state that "non-native species" are carried.

Well, the card says that non-native species can be invasive, and since they say floating debris causes trouble for BioD then you can infer that the ev says: floating debris can carry invasive species.

4. Okay now on Contention 3. The U.S. is making technological progress right now - how is the plan the only thing that'll maintain U.S. technological primacy?

Honestly this isn't the only thing, but it is a bold new technical advance like no other that solves serious impacts on an international level, so it will definitely show that US has "still got it" when it comes to tech.

5. Why do we need the United States federal government to do the plan, as opposed to solely private companies?

Please read a private sector CP yayyy! Privatization is bad.

^^^Yeesh

Okay, so I'm a true novice (been doing debate for less than a year, been to 3 tournaments ever), so there are some of these that I have answers to and some that I don't. Since this is a "friendly", practice match, could you omit Foucault, Baudrillard, and Zizek Ks? If it were a tournament then you could just destroy me with those  3, but could you not read those now? Thx and i know that this sounds kind of pitiful :/

No

Will it prevent plastic from getting into the ocean in the future? And is it okay that plastics will still be produced/used?

Honestly this isn't the only thing, but it is a bold new technical advance like no other that solves serious impacts on an international level, so it will definitely show that

But still, why aren't the current technological advances enough?

Could you please give a more in-depth answer? And why does NOAA have to do the plan?

^^^Yeesh

Okay, so I'm a true novice (been doing debate for less than a year, been to 3 tournaments ever), so there are some of these that I have answers to and some that I don't. Since this is a "friendly", practice match, could you omit Foucault, Baudrillard, and Zizek Ks? If it were a tournament then you could just destroy me with those  3, but could you not read those now? Thx and i know that this sounds kind of pitiful :/

Don't worry, I'm very novice too. I don't know how kritiks work so I'm not going to run one. Well, unless you're fine with Orientalism/Pan K.

EDIT: Wait, the others are fine?

Okay follow-up questions.

Due to the fact that this is a novice round, what is the cost of your plan?

How much plastic needs to be removed to solve for your impacts?

Why is species extinction bad?

Has the United States federal government/NOAA shown any interest into the Ocean Cleanup Foundation?

Do you perceive China to be a threat to the United States?

Edited by totalnoob

smdebater, on 01 Jan 2015 - 5:36 PM, said:snapback.png

No

Will it prevent plastic from getting into the ocean in the future? And is it okay that plastics will still be produced/used?

It won't. Plastics will still be produced, which does have negative impacts, but the vast majority of plastic in the oceans is in the gyres, which means that they have the most environmental impact and need to be cleaned.

Honestly this isn't the only thing, but it is a bold new technical advance like no other that solves serious impacts on an international level, so it will definitely show that

But still, why aren't the current technological advances enough?

My ev says that "Trends are not favorable", and that other nations "have begun to challenge US technology leadership". Basically they are barely hanging onto primacy, but dwindling, while other nations are rising up.

Could you please give a more in-depth answer? And why does NOAA have to do the plan?

Wait, as to why privatization is bad? I mean Im not going to give out my specific 2AC answers to the private sector CP but they cant solve. Also, the NOAA has the means, the money, and they are a federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans.

^^^Yeesh

Don't worry, I'm very novice too. I don't know how kritiks work so I'm not going to run one. Well, unless you're fine with Orientalism/Pan K.

EDIT: Wait, the others are fine?

I actually don't know what the K you just mentioned is, but yes, the others are okay, and honestly I would even just try reading one for experience's sake, even though our arguments may be laughable...

Okay follow-up questions.

Due to the fact that this is a novice round, what is the cost of your plan?

2 Mil to implement, and ~7 mil each year to maintain.

How much plastic needs to be removed to solve for your impacts?

I don't have a concrete number, sorry, but we do remove 80% of the plastic by 2025, so...

Can you clarify? Species as in BioD or as in like human species?

Has the United States federal government/NOAA shown any interest into the Ocean Cleanup Foundation?

No

Do you perceive China to be a threat to the United States?

Well, sort of. China is rising, and tensions are high because of those trade measures against China, so unless the US does something to establish themselves above China then war is imminent.

Yeah, in the context of biodiversity.

EDIT: Whoops three more questions

Timeframe on biodiversity?

Timeframe on US-China war?

Will the plan increase US-China relations?

Edited by totalnoob

Yeah, in the context of biodiversity.

It collapses ecosystems, which for one kill marine species (less fish for food, etc.) but more importantly ecosystems keep the ocean stable to have life in them,

EDIT: Whoops three more questions

Timeframe on biodiversity?

Timeframe on US-China war?

Don't have specific dates but the biodiv loss / trade measures have already started so "the ball has been set in motion"

Will the plan increase US-China relations?

Not direct relations

Sorry these took so long

Edited by smdebater

Here are some CX questions if you're bored:

1. What’s the impact to Neolib?

2. Why are plastics UNIQUELY key to V2L? Your card just says “plastics are good for us”… what is your impact?

3. Since you have not advocated a CP, besides your  K alt, are you defending the squo?

4. What is the first off? A “Plastics DA”?

5. What is the point of your Layton 10 card?

6. In your Wilson 13 card: What “vast majority of scientists” believe that it won’t work? And what data says the NOAA doesn’t believe its feasible? Your author doesn’t cite a time, survey, study, anything. Our ev cites their feasibility study.

7. Why do you think that the idea cites “A random 19 year old”? What about the team of hundreds of experts that reviewed and jointly published the feasibility study?

8. What credentials does your author have (Wilson 13)?

9. Where in your “ecosystems resilient” card does it say that they are resilient to BioD loss? Oh wait nvm did you mean resilient to plastic pollution?

More coming, don't worry. I'm not going to let you off the hook with only 9 CX questions

Structural violence, and structural violence is the cause of all war.

2. Why are plastics UNIQUELY key to V2L? Your card just says “plastics are good for us”… what is your impact?

Ok i'll read a real impact in the 2NC/1NR. Or I might just kick the DA :P

3. Since you have not advocated a CP, besides your  K alt, are you defending the squo?

If I don't go for the K in the 2NR, yes.

Yeah I guess.

Idk that was an accident.

6. In your Wilson 13 card: What “vast majority of scientists” believe that it won’t work? And what data says the NOAA doesn’t believe its feasible? Your author doesn’t cite a time, survey, study, anything. Our ev cites their feasibility study.

Um...the vast majority of serious scientists and policy advocates.

"No serious scientist or policy advocate believes that microplastic gyre cleanup is a real strategy for ridding micro-plastics from the oceans—not even The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). " - Wilson 13. Yeah so idk why NOAA would do the plan.

7. Why do you think that the idea cites “A random 19 year old”? What about the team of hundreds of experts that reviewed and jointly published the feasibility study?

Hm i was too lazy to think of a good tag. If you cited some reputable sources that didn't work with Slat I might believe them. Or if you said NOAA likes the plan.

Associate Director at The 5 Gyres Institute, an organization aimed at reducing plastics pollution. Kinda sad that he works for such an institution and doesn't like the plan.

9. Where in your “ecosystems resilient” card does it say that they are resilient to BioD loss? Oh wait nvm did you mean resilient to plastic pollution?

I guess it doesn't I'll read something in the 2NC/1NR about it. And anyways biodiversity loss doesn't cause any substantial impact.

More coming, don't worry. I'm not going to let you off the hook with only 9 CX questions

K

Edited by totalnoob

Please explain. I did a search and "Structural violence" appears zero times in your 1NC. What ev supports that?

Ok i'll read a real impact in the 2NC/1NR. Or I might just kick the DA :P

If I don't go for the K in the 2NR, yes.

Yeah I guess.

What's the impact?

Idk that was an accident.

"No serious scientist or policy advocate believes that microplastic gyre cleanup is a real strategy for ridding micro-plastics from the oceans—not even The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). " - Wilson 13. Yeah so idk why NOAA would do the plan.

I know that he said that but anyone can go online and post "The US loves corruption and communism" regardless of facts. What surveys, etc. show that thas's true?

Also, how does this apply to the whole plan when it just states "Microplastic cleanup"?

Hm i was too lazy to think of a good tag. If you cited some reputable sources that didn't work with Slat I might believe them. Or if you said NOAA likes the plan.

Read some ev against us, otherwise its pretty much worthless because you fail to account for those experts. Saying you don't believe then bc they support the plan is like saying "Your otec solvency ev is not accurate because they say otec good"

Associate Director at The 5 Gyres Institute, an organization aimed at reducing plastics pollution. Kinda sad that he works for such an institution and doesn't like the plan.

Scientific / Academic credentials i mean. And he doesn't like his (EDIT: by "his" I mean Slat's plan) bc his group is trying to do the same thing and is basically a competitor.

I guess it doesn't I'll read something in the 2NC/1NR about it. And anyways biodiversity loss doesn't cause any substantial impact.

K

Where in your Fettweis 11 card does it say TECH leadership? For that matter, anywhere in those cards?

In Yoshihara and Holmes, 09 who says that US influence trades off with Chinese soft power?

Why is China the only country that can solve Indo-Pak? Like why cant the US?

How does Cizdziel 14 say that Japan is leading ocean exploration???

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you hit this aff before? And lol im thinking of using those BioD impact cards that you posted a few days ago against you...

Edited by smdebater

Please explain. I did a search and "Structural violence" appears zero times in your 1NC. What ev supports that?

Like half of the Santos card talks about how neoliberalism allows for populations to be considered as disposable. Structural violence.

Yeah I guess.

What's the impact?

Loss of V2L

I know that he said that but anyone can go online and post "The US loves corruption and communism" regardless of facts. What surveys, etc. show that thas's true?

Also, how does this apply to the whole plan when it just states "Microplastic cleanup"?

Wot. If you prove that NOAA loves the plan, or one policy advocate or scientist not associated with Slat that thinks the plan is hella rad, then I guess I would probably concede solvency. No survey (as presented by the 1AC) shows that the plan is good, just people associated with Slat.

He's referring to Slat's plan, and anyways your plan is a subset of microplastic cleanup, so...

Read some ev against us, otherwise its pretty much worthless because you fail to account for those experts. Saying you don't believe then bc they support the plan is like saying "Your otec solvency ev is not accurate because they say otec good"

Wot. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that they're associated with him, so if there was someone who doesn't work with him then I might believe that.

Scientific / Academic credentials i mean. And he doesn't like his (EDIT: by "his" I mean Slat's plan) bc his group is trying to do the same thing and is basically a competitor.

He’s a two time recipient of The Surfrider Foundation’s prestigious Wavemaker Award for Excellence in Environmental Activism and consults on the United Nations Environment Program’s Marine Litter Task Force.

And "he has an extremely cute dog named Porkchop." No need for any more credentials.

Also, Wilson likes to "[build] strategic partnerships with environmentally sensitive corporations as well as like minded NGOs," so there's no reason as to why he would hate Slat/Slat's plan.

Where in your Fettweis 11 card does it say TECH leadership? For that matter, anywhere in those cards?

Doesn't matter if it's tech leadership or not. US tech leadership is a subset of US leadership...

In Yoshihara and Holmes, 09 who says that US influence trades off with Chinese soft power?

"Chinese fears that America's "overwhelming soft power influence" might negate China's engagement strategy"

"Although China had long wished to give full play to its own soft power in the region, because it did not possess adequate capabilities, it could only watch the United States reverse its negative image in the Asia-Pacific region"

Why is China the only country that can solve Indo-Pak? Like why cant the US?

I'll explain why the US can't solve in the 2NC/1NR.

How does Cizdziel 14 say that Japan is leading ocean exploration???

Eh I'll read a better uniqueness card in the 2NC/1NR.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you hit this aff before? And lol im thinking of using those BioD impact cards that you posted a few days ago against you...

Times hit = 0. Don't worry, those cards have easy answers anyway.

Also, Wilson likes to "[build] strategic partnerships with environmentally sensitive corporations as well as like minded NGOs," so there's no reason as to why he would hate Slat/Slat's plan.

Could you show me where this is from?

Alright then. 2AC Should be up at a decent time tmrw granted that question is answered. Good debating so far.