Sinix23

Bataille Expenditure Argument Specific to the Ocean

I was wondering if someone could find a card or even an article that pertains to Bataille's Expenditure relating to the Oceans, whether it make a link argument or an alt solves argument, I want to ground my Kritik as much as I can into the topic.

Bataille views the ocean as a site of unintelligibility and nothing-ness. Nick Land in 1992 published a book titled The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism, in the book Land explained how all forms of rational thought, from Kant onwards, were a securitization against the sea, "something like a dyke or a sea wall." Imposing intelligibility on the sea was a form of managerialism, as Nick Land saw, that attempts to overcome the unintelligibility of the sea. Gilles Deleuze makes a similar claim in Desert Islands where he explains that humans cannot live in peace unless they FEEL as if the battle between the Earth and the Sea has ended and that the Earth has won the battle; imposing it's topological striation upon the Ocean.

Think of the sea as a site of reversibility; it served as a basis for human life and culture (prior to the enlightenment, and all those euro-centric philosophical movements) because of its unintelligibility; however, it has turned to a site of intelligibility as a site that grounds thanatopolitics (as Nick Land explained in the same book).

Georges Bataille, and Nick Land thereof, both saw the sea as something that is capable of immersing, destroying, the human subject. They saw it as a site of ritualistic expenditure; or what you should know as sacrifice. 

You can probably generate links off of the advantages of the 1AC or the way in which they're a form of unproductive expenditure; or maybe even their conceptualization of economics and ecumenical organizations. 

Also, Baudrillard and Bataille are pretty much the same (in that they both see the gift-exchange as something good); whereas Bataille says sacrificial expenditure, Baudrillard says symbolic exchange (but sacrificial rite is a form of symbolic exchange). 

This is somewhat of a meta-link (and probably the only link you'll ever find that is specific to the Ocean) and meta-uniqueness that pretty much links to every aff that attempts to develop or explore the ocean:

Death and water flow together in the circles of existence – The affirmatives call to secure and develop the ocean is another form of managerialism that attempts to overcome the inevitability of death

Land 92 (Nick, Lecturer in Continental Philosophy at the University of Warwick, Thirst for Annihilation, Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism,)

Is not transcendental philosophy a fear of the sea? Something like a dike or a sea-wall? A longing for the open ocean gnaws at us, as the land is gnawed by the sea. A dark fluidity at the roots of our nature rebels against the security of terra firma, provoking a wave of anxiety in which we are submerged, until we feel ourselves drowning, with representation draining away. Nihil ulterius Incipit Kant: We are not amphibians, but belong upon solid earth. We are not amphibians, but belong upon solid earth. Let us renounce all strange voyages. The age of desire is past. The new humanity I anticipate has no use for enigmatic horizons; it knows the ocean is madness and disease. Let me still your ancient tremors, and replace them with dreams of an iron shore. Reason in its legitimate function is a defence against the sea, which is also an inhibition of the terrestrial; retarding our tendency to waste painstakingly accumulated resources in futile expeditions, a ‘barrier opposed to the expenditure offerees [iI 332] as Bataille describes it. It is a fortified boundary, sealing out everything uncertain, irresolvable, dissolvant, a sea-wall against the unknown, against death. This is a structure continuous with the great land reclamation projects of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen: a matter of drainage, rigorous separation of the wet and the dry, eradication of marshes and ambiguous terrains, rigidification of the soil (‘the mosquitos and other stinging insects that make the wilds of America so trying for the savages, may be so many goads to urge Fanged noumenon (passion of the cyclone) 75 these primitive men to drain the marshes and bring light into the dense forests that shut out the air, and, by so doing, as well as by the tillage of the soil, to render their abodes more sanitary’ [K X 328]). Such terrestrialism reaches its zenith in Prussia’s classic age; in the restriction of policy to continental ambitions. It is thus characterized by a certain hardness; a certain deliberate blindness towards death, as towards everything that flows freely like a wound.

I think you'd be better off just using the Ocean as an alternative - Bataille's sacrificial expenditure via mysticism (or inner experience as it's more commonly known in Bataille's literature); or Baudrillards reversibility.

If you need anymore help, PM me. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1