Hey guys. What is open cross x? I kind of get it, but I just wanted to know like when people do it, when it is allowed, who can ask, who can answer, etc.

Ask the judge if it's allowed, it's basically when anyone can ask/answer questions. Normally, the person who is SUPPOSED to be asking and answering should be doing so, but if you need to but-in that's what open CX is for. 

• Upvote 1

Hey guys. What is open cross x? I kind of get it, but I just wanted to know like when people do it, when it is allowed, who can ask, who can answer, etc.

Come on how many times do I have to call this out.

• Upvote 4

Come on how many times do I have to call this out.

Everybody brace themselves for the g-lang debate!!!

Btw this is the novice forum so it's worth noting that most novices don't know much about gendered language. Teaching them is good but maybe not so harshly? They just don't know yet, and we don't want to scare them away from this activity.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Parker has it right I will just add that open cross x can have strategic benefits so your partner doesn't said things that get you into trouble but pretty much all traditional judges are against it and open cross x will reflect poorly on any person that makes it appear their partner is incapable of answering a question.

I've debated teams that lost speaker points because they interrupted their partners CX to answer and then gave them a rather audible instruction on how to give their 1ar...