pigasus

Debate like it's 1980

Ok here's a little game I'm playing at the next tournament. We're debating old school. No spreading, no cards, no extinction impacts, no advantages, just a well written and simple speech on a topical government action. Thoughts? Ideas for how to make this more interesting? How do you think people will react?

• Upvote 8

Pretty sure they had cards and advantages back in the '80s.

Yeah, I found all my moms old CX stuff from the 70's and they had cards, but they were pieces of evidence on literal 3x5 cards. They actually had most of that stuff except spreading.

Edited by Roboyle
  • Upvote 1

LOL read some of those in debate now, that'll be funny. It's like contention 1 is inherency agricultural subsidies are not funded now - that's huffingtonpost in 1971

• Upvote 2

Ok here's a little game I'm playing at the next tournament. We're debating old school. No spreading, no cards, no extinction impacts, no advantages, just a well written and simple speech on a topical government action. Thoughts? Ideas for how to make this more interesting? How do you think people will react?

Judges probably won't be a fan. Well at least I wasn't when something like this was (purely unintentionally) done when I was judging. On the other hand, it's hard for inexperienced teams to isolate out impacts in that format so in some places it would be strategic in a jerk move kind of way.

My dad spreaded in the 80s HS debate at a high school just across town. KS might have actually been pretty progressive at that time lol. 

I would still read cards because I think it would be really funny to read off of note cards in the entire debate. 

My dad spreaded in the 80s HS debate at a high school just across town. KS might have actually been pretty progressive at that time lol. 

I would still read cards because I think it would be really funny to read off of note cards in the entire debate. 

Let me live in a world where spreading isn't from the 80s so I can believe Southeast Kansas isn't that far behind.

Please.

The spread came around in the 60s and 70s. My coach debated back then and was a spread debater. Its obviously not to the speed of policy today but it was still fast. 

Also there were cards its just that debaters didnt use computers rather they had all their evidence on index cards. They also cut out of newspaper articles and the stat ab and library books.

They also had extinction impacts as well. They weren't framed the way they are today. Seriously yall just read the same shitty impacts on all your affs. 

People who read this plan meets need style affs just lost on impact calculus. Gotta read comparative advantage affs. 

The spread came around in the 60s and 70s. My coach debated back then and was a spread debater. Its obviously not to the speed of policy today but it was still fast. 

Also there were cards its just that debaters didnt use computers rather they had all their evidence on index cards. They also cut out of newspaper articles and the stat ab and library books.

They also had extinction impacts as well. They weren't framed the way they are today. Seriously yall just read the same shitty impacts on all your affs. 

People who read this plan meets need style affs just lost on impact calculus. Gotta read comparative advantage affs. 

how were needs-plan affs structured? I've never seen one and I have no idea how one would work

Let me live in a world where spreading isn't from the 80s so I can believe Southeast Kansas isn't that far behind.

Please.

He was/I am northeast KC area.

Edited by Arturo

how were needs-plan affs structured? I've never seen one and I have no idea how one would work

Plan meets need affs are the shit that most traditional debaters run today. The plan solves for a singular impact in its entirety. You solve for nuke war or stop global warming etc.. Back in the day the impacts were a lot smaller but you were able to resolve the entirety of the impact.  

I think y'all are focusing a bit too much on the "like it's 1980" joke. Is this a strategic idea? Nah, though it'll catch people off guard, especially if you defend an unorthodox plan. Will it be fun for a local tournament or something? Sure, go for it.

People will probably react as normal, with case arguments and disads and advantage counterplans and the like.

What you could do is make it a K of spreading in the 2AC... that'd be a bit more interesting.

• Upvote 1

What you could do is make it a K of spreading in the 2AC... that'd be a bit more interesting.

OR, you could go the Houston LR route and make the K of spreading a pre-fiat reason to vote for you in the 1AC (vote on discourse). Could work.

Coming from a circuit that banned spreading last year. NEVER DO THAT!!!! 

Also they had speed in the 80's

I think my coach once mentioned that back in the day people had overly detailed plan texts, they didn't even read the plan until the 2AC, maybe it was just his area but ks weren't a thing, they focused a lot more on inherency, and it was not considered unfair to read new arguments in the 2NC. Although... I believe he was debating well before the 1980s...

• Upvote 1

What's the punishment for spreading? Doing pushups, losing the round, losing speaker points, being banned or what?

Losing the debate i guess. 

They revoked the rule because the policy coaches were very angry. For obvious reasons. 

Some of the judges didnt enforce the rule some did.  

I think my coach once mentioned that back in the day people had overly detailed plan texts, they didn't even read the plan until the 2AC, maybe it was just his area but ks weren't a thing, they focused a lot more on inherency, and it was not considered unfair to read new arguments in the 2NC. Although... I believe he was debating well before the 1980s...

Welcome to Southeast Kansas.

• Upvote 2

This is still true today.

"New arguments" here probably means new off-case positions--especially advocacies, which is hard to defend. "No new in the 2" theory is decently good.

• Upvote 2

huffingtonpost in 1971

I have news for you about the age of the Huffington Post 

and the internet

• Upvote 4