BootsandSuits

My Debate Coach isn't exactly great, I need help w/K's

My coach refuses to allow me to run k's, I understood that last year as a first year debater. But, as a 1st yr. I made it State Quarterfinals where I had absolutely no damn clue about what a kritik was and how to defend against one. My West Tx coach continues to prohibit even the slightest interest in K's, but they never go into our rounds. I'm thinking of defying my coach and learning how to run a K, but it seems like an extremely complicated concept. I'm having trouble understanding how they work, so can anyone give me a breakdown of how K's work, how to run one, and how to defend against a K? My coach really doesn't want to help on this end, and still refuses to believe that people run K's, I got beat last yr. at State by a K, thus the interest in learning how to run one. So, can somebody please help me?

This lecture is (imho) pretty solid on getting the basics down. I was in a similar position 2 years ago (minus the whole being successful thing) and I'd like to think I have an alrightish understanding of the k and this was my intro.

Edited by Ballsohard

Don't defy your coach. Seriously.

he/she just wants to learn how to defend against Ks, which isn't really defying his/her coach

EDIT: and the best way to learn how to defend against one is by running one. My partner and I were super K last year and this year are running a straight-up policy aff (and have even gone for "ptx" a couple of times). The best way to learn how to beat the enemy is to be the enemy.

Edited by Arturo

he/she just wants to learn how to defend against Ks, which isn't really defying his/her coach

The phrasing of OP's post (i.e. "how to run one") makes it seem that OP wants to read Ks in addition to learning how to defend against them. By all means OP learn how to defend against Ks, but if your coach is as against Ks as your post makes it seem then I would highly recommend never running a K because it will likely put you in a very precarious position with your coach.

• Upvote 1

The phrasing of OP's post (i.e. "how to run one") makes it seem that OP wants to read Ks in addition to learning how to defend against them. By all means OP learn how to defend against Ks, but if your coach is as against Ks as your post makes it seem then I would highly recommend never running a K because it will likely put you in a very precarious position with your coach.

My bad, I never did clarify, I want to learn how to defend against kritiks and how to run them. I do want to run them, but if my coach insists upon not allowing K's, I'll just fall back into running stock issues (which I know I'm way stronger at than running something I've never done before.) Also, out in West Tx we have a lot of judges who don't know the slightest thing about CX, thus don't understand K's. I had a judge at district last year get confused about my partner's Saudi Oil DA that said if we lifted the embargo said that we would import less from mid east and mid east would fall into chaos. The judge's out here can be pretty dumb at times, so I wouldn't consider running a K around here. 

Defend your aff as in pragmatism good, our epistemology/assumptions/representations good, debating about united states federal government and government energy policy good yeah just win the framing debate. Give me specific Kritiks and maybe I can help out more

My coach refuses to allow me to run k's, I understood that last year as a first year debater. But, as a 1st yr. I made it State Quarterfinals where I had absolutely no damn clue about what a kritik was and how to defend against one. My West Tx coach continues to prohibit even the slightest interest in K's, but they never go into our rounds. I'm thinking of defying my coach and learning how to run a K, but it seems like an extremely complicated concept. I'm having trouble understanding how they work, so can anyone give me a breakdown of how K's work, how to run one, and how to defend against a K? My coach really doesn't want to help on this end, and still refuses to believe that people run K's, I got beat last yr. at State by a K, thus the interest in learning how to run one. So, can somebody please help me?

If you are going to defy your coach you are going to need to do it very very well. Your coach will be willing to adapt to your style if you are successful with it. She/he/their probably doesnt think its run very well. The best way for you to seriously do that is to read and read alot. You should know your argument inside and out. If you have other friends in the debate community you can probably hold skype debates or things like that so you can practice. You need to start thinking like a K debater. 

As for the aff when you respond to ks i go by the acronym s(olvency) t(heory) o(ffense) p(erm) 

Ks can be very shifty so i would try to get them to stick to 1 interpretation of the story and alternative in the debate.

Your aff will always be your biggest source of offense so use that to your advantage. 

As for the aff when you respond to ks i go by the acronym s(olvency) t(heory) o(ffense) p(erm) 

My acronym is FPOSTAL

Framework

Perm

Offense

Solvency

Theory

Alt (bad/doesn't solve aff)

Link

STOP or POST is what I use for CPs

EDIT: Should clarify: it's the acronym i use, not really mine. Was taught to me by multiple older debaters when I was a novice/2nd year.

Edited by Arturo
  • Upvote 1