jsmoov

Virilio

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for a Virilio affirmative. Not an argument based on his concept of speed and the ontology of speed but an argument centered around militarism and the ocean. I stumbled across the idea while reading a little bit of his book Bunker Archaeology. If you have any ideas please drop them here. Thanks. 

Link to the book: 
http://stankievech.net/projects/counterintelligence/workshop/Virilio-BunkerArcheology-TheMonolith_1975.pdf

Edited by jsmoov

http://harvarddebate.org/wiki/doku.php?id=bosu_aff#virilio_aff

Harvard BS ran a Virilio aff last year (they read it at the 2014 NDT) 

NOTE - The video starts at the 2AC, but I'm pretty sure you can find a video on youtube where they read it starting from the 1AC (Harvard BS and Northwestern MV are everywhere; especially after Northwestern MV won the Copeland Award) 

Here's the video of them reading it at Round 6 of the 2014 NDT: Harvard BS vs Texas FM 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for a Virilio affirmative. Not an argument based on his concept of speed and the ontology of speed but an argument centered around militarism and the ocean. I stumbled across the idea while reading a little bit of his book Bunker Archaeology. If you have any ideas please drop them here. Thanks. 

Link to the book: 

http://stankievech.net/projects/counterintelligence/workshop/Virilio-BunkerArcheology-TheMonolith_1975.pdf

You don't debate anymore Jordan what are you doing?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't research? I like to exercise my debate mind every once and a while to feel like I'm still the only Black kid in Oklahoma winning :blush: in CX

Also I don't think you can talk about Militarism and the Oceans WITHOUT mentioning dromology (the ontology of speed, and it's spatio-temporal ramifications); Virilio's ideas of militarism are contingent upon dromology (also, Deleuze and Guattari drew upon Virilio's theories to create their concept of the State in A Thousand Plateaus; there's a lot of good articles out there [i have some] that talk about combining the ideas of Virilio with Deleuze and Guattari). Baudrillard also writes about the militarization of peace (as does Negarestani) 

• Upvote 2

He's gotta cut cards for Jenks ya know.... we need at least 6 new aff's for the toc

A team here in California read you're post humanism aff - they got into the Octofinals of the CSUF tournament, but they got destroyed by Green Valley (I believe)

This was back in October though 

• Upvote 1

A team here in California read you're post humanism aff - they got into the Octofinals of the CSUF tournament, but they got destroyed by Green Valley (I believe)

This was back in October though 

They actually broke that aff before us.... It was kind of Awkward , but our Aff is much more DnG focused than theirs. Their's is much more similar to  ORPF's aff from the space topic with those scuba cards in it.

Edited by MrEragonSaph

They actually broke that aff before us.... It was kind of Awkward , but our Aff is much more DnG focused than theirs. They also pretty much just copied ORPF's aff from the space topic and put those scuba cards in it.....

Edit: Now that i think about it , that aff has not dropped a ballot. 

Psssh, new materialism is where it's at. 

They actually broke that aff before us.... It was kind of Awkward , but our Aff is much more DnG focused than theirs. They also pretty much just copied ORPF's aff from the space topic and put those scuba cards in it.....

Edit: Now that i think about it , that aff has not dropped a ballot. 

It dropped a ballot to us ;)

Edit: Not when you were reading it tho, Jenks LM. 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool

It dropped a ballot to us ;)

Edit: Not when you were reading it tho, Jenks LM. 

They learned to read judge philosophies after that round :P I just want someone other than Westwood to read stuff that applies.... Cough Cough call out the whole part that is DnG based Cough Cough (Forgot i had given it to the other teams.)

Edited by MrEragonSaph

Ayee that's our old aff!  It's nice to know people talk about us!  :D

This was back in October though oll

side note: Lost in Doubles to Loyola on a 2-1.  We were neg.  Our Aff only dropped one ballot

Ayee that's our old aff!  It's nice to know people talk about us!   :D

I was curious on how y'all defend the plan? It seemed weird conceptually ? Did y'all have like government actors scuba dive or was it just metaphor based?

side note: Lost in Doubles to Loyola on a 2-1.  We were neg.  Our Aff only dropped one ballot

AC Or GN?

I was curious on how y'all defend the plan? It seemed weird conceptually ? Did y'all have like government actors scuba dive or was it just metaphor based?

I really want an aff to have Congress literally go out to sea on like a whale watching trip or some shit. That would be awesome.

AC Or GN?

Pretty Sure its AC.

And you'll have to ask in round to get your first answer ;D  lolollolol.  

I really want an aff to have Congress literally go out to sea on like a whale watching trip or some shit. That would be awesome.

Seriously our Aff is just John Boener running into the ocean screaming "Free Willy"!

• Upvote 1

Sick! But aren't y'all from another school? You're "School" thing on the left says Jesus but when y'all debated one of my friends (I was watching) y'all were under a different school (and you still are). I'm not gonna name it because I don't know if you're doing it for privacy purposes so....

Anywho, it was actually in Octofinals and it was Loyola GN 

Sick! But aren't y'all from another school? You're "School" thing on the left says Jesus but when y'all debated one of my friends (I was watching) y'all were under a different school (and you still are). I'm not gonna name it because I don't know if you're doing it for privacy purposes so....

Anywho, it was actually in Octofinals and it was Loyola GN 

Yeah it's a privacy thing.  PM if your curious.  And yeah it was Octos, i just remembered that we lost in the first round it broke.

Edited by Awesomepants3