Palindrome

Aquaculture DAs

My partner and I have been using the NOAA Tradeoff and China DAs in every round against aquaculture, but I'm pretty sick of it now cause everyone usually has pretty good answers to it, and I just end up going for T in the 2NR. I tried spending in a round too but I absolutely hate it. So, does anyone have any other good specific DAs for aquaculture that I could have under my belt?

Thanks in advance.

Try mixing it up and run some other strats with CP's and DA's rather than just straight T and 2 off.

Maybe throw in an ecomanagerialism K or something of the like, presuming your district can do that.

Try mixing it up and run some other strats with CP's and DA's rather than just straight T and 2 off.

Maybe throw in an ecomanagerialism K or something of the like, presuming your district can do that.

That's the thing - as a novice in my district, we still can't run CP's or K's for the next tournament. And our district is heavy lay so K's are never a good idea for anyone. Some judges here don't even know what T is. That's why I was looking into more specific DAs to run.

In the area of the enviro DA, I don't think they're ever good enough to give a 2NR on.

• Upvote 1

as a novice in my district, we still can't run CP's

Wat. I'm a novice, and my circuit is pretty lay heavy, but I've been running CP's since my first second tournament.

Well whatever, DAs I would run against aquaculture:

Escapes DA, Disease DA, Dead Zones -  wait these are all environment DAs :(

I would just go with a lot of case turns

Wat. I'm a novice, and my circuit is pretty lay heavy, but I've been running CP's since my first second tournament.

Lucky you. we won't be able to run CP's or K's till sometime in February  :( 

Disease and escapes are actually pretty effective, but I haven't tried dead zones. I'll look into that for a change.

Thanks. 

That's the thing - as a novice in my district, we still can't run CP's or K's for the next tournament. And our district is heavy lay so K's are never a good idea for anyone. Some judges here don't even know what T is. That's why I was looking into more specific DAs to run.

In the area of the enviro DA, I don't think they're ever good enough to give a 2NR on.

Oh, there's definitely evidence good enough to give a 2nr on, it just (probably) not on open evidence.

There's also some amazing cards for a disease DA.

Our strategy consist of either environment DA or politics (we live in a lay area) the envio DA is easy to understand and has good impacts I would atleast try it out at one or two tournaments.

My partner reads T, Fisheries DA (it turns the case), Bio-D DA, and Urban CP in the 1NC. I usually just read the antibiotics DA (plan causes resistance which kills us all), solvency, and a ton of case turns in the 2NC. It's pretty effective in our region (lay).

If the aqauculture aff has an economy advantage, you can dedev them

I love how you just made dedev a verb.  And if they have an econ advantage then dedev would be an impact turn not a disad.  Doesn't make it worse, but isn't helpful if OP is looking for off case positions.

I love how you just made dedev a verb.  And if they have an econ advantage then dedev would be an impact turn not a disad.  Doesn't make it worse, but isn't helpful if OP is looking for off case positions.

When OP is looking for off-case any offense would probably be helpful.

And to answer OPs question, my partner and I just read CPs or PICs that solve the aff with some minor NB like organochlorines or salmon which can be found in the JDI file. The CPs we have read are ban aquaculture and land aquaculture. We've gone for ban aquaculture. The problem with most aquaculture affs is that they are purely regulations (which makes them not topical, clearly), but they can also be solved by cutting off the head of aquaculture and just banning it in the first place. Intl fill in probably solves food advantages, as well as a plank to divert funding to non-beef sources of land based protein (because usually their best solvency deficit card will only be about beef not solving, at which point you divert all aquaculture subsidies to land based sources.) Not only does this generate uq for your turns, it solves the entire aff. 

We also usually go for T because it's not topical. 

Our wiki is here if you wanna look at our strategies specifically

Edited by Arturo

When OP is looking for off-case any offense would probably be helpful.

Well in that case my advice is impact K's on every advantage.  Dedev for econ, orientalism for middle east war, pan for china war, spark for any other war, apoc warming rhetoric for warming, terror talks/orientalism for terrorism, Nietzsche for human rights.  Maybe sprinkle in some wipeout for shits and giggles.  Did I miss anything?

When you're able to run CPs, you should run escapes+disease+land based CP if the aff isn't reg based (I don't think I've heard about a lot of reg based affs being run at the novice level).

Look into a bio-d/environment DA. there's a lot of literature that says it hurts the environment.

while thats true, they can use it as extra inherency

proves that squo aquaculture does in fact suck