dayahdover

Negative Affirmatives

I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about when I say negative affirmatives, as I've coined the term myself. I was thinking of writing a case that's nearly the opposite of a typical affirmative, such as one using my negative evidence to make the affirmative. An example would be banning seismic testing in the ocean, lengthening the drill ban, etc. Does anybody have any ideas for this? We did one last year strengthening the embargo. 

• Upvote 1

any critical theory works in this case because it can be read on the neg as well as Aff. The most prominent example of this is Heidegger Affs on this topic

• Upvote 1

One potential, albeit mutable, drawback to this strategy is that your opponents may not be caught as off guard as you would expect. If you're reading the opposite of a mainstream argument, they are likely to have evidence both for and against it. Reversing an argument can be a useful tool for stimulating brainstorms of good ideas, but for a good case it's not sufficient to simply take a policy, reverse it, figure out how to make it sound topical, then go. The reversal trick is often difficult to win topicality with, and it only really works for policies where the literature is asymmetrical in some fashion. Also, as I'm sure you know, many reversed ideas are stupid ones.

While I too like reading cases that can catch the other team off guard, if you don't have any specific ideas in mind you probably shouldn't try to build a case around this gimmick. I'm sure that if you spent enough time and effort on it you would be able to find/create a good argument, but that time and effort can probably be invested more efficiently elsewhere. Keep your eyes and ears open, but don't waste time researching potential dead ends. Let the topic literature guide you to good case ideas, don't come up with a vague idea and then force the topic to fit inside it. That said, idle discussion on cross-x is a trivial investment of time. I'm not telling you to avoid speculation or thinking about this kind of thing, only to not get your expectations up.

Edited by Chaos
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1