Garret

how did you pay for debate camp?

I know its extremely early to be thinking about camp, but I was wondering any of those who went to camp how did you pay? what are some ways to get money for camp? Thank you so much!!

So, last year I got a few donations, had a job during the end of spring/beginning of summer (couldn't work most of the winter/spring b/c baseball), we didn't do fundraisers, however I've heard they're effective. You could start a 'go fund me' page, but I honestly don't know how much money you would get. I would start saving as of now. 

• Upvote 1

You could also NOT go to camp and look at the numerous recorded lectures and break rounds at major tournaments on youtube? Although you won't have the opportunity to 1 on 1 with lab leaders and other people, just listening to the lectures and taking down your own notes and watching the BEST debaters on the circuit debate increases not only your abilities as a debater, but also your knowledge on different things - for example Oklahoma LM read Bifo against Cal Berkeley MS last year at a break round at the USC tournament and I saw how to effectively deploy Bifo against K Affs (Oklahoma lost on a 4-1 on a link turn, but still my god they were good) 

• Upvote 4

If you email the director's of the debate camps they'll usually help with some financial aid. Michigan for example is pretty liberal on giving out money to help people attend their camp.

• Upvote 2

Not everyone is rich....

Shit you're right, just looked at the price for georgetown and it's like $6000. My bad, the only camp I had ever gone to before was CNDI, which is only $300.

• Upvote 2

Okay I was super broke so here is what I did:

Found the cheapest and most convenient camp: WSDI (1200 for 3 Weeks)

Next i emailed a bunch of rich people with a letter about how I'm a future law maker/ lawyer/ public speaker and you'd be doing a great thing to help me achieve my dreams.

One man payed the 1200 dollars and sent me to debate camp, and it was a GREAT experience!

• Upvote 2

Brah email people how part of Chicago UDL - 

like i know kids on my team did this , they were able to get ok parts off camp tution 

Edit : 

Good cheaper Camps though might be an ok option to look at 

Weber , Whitman, are good examples

Edited by JaredCroitoru

My advice is two-fold

1- parents and relatives. Now I know that this was mentioned above, and I get how it's hard for a lot of people to afford a huge sum of money like $4000, but what I do is I ask my parents and relatives to contribute to getting me to camp instead of giving me presents for Christmas and my birthday. It's an easy way to get the money without forcing your parents to pay as much up front.

2- get a job. It sounds obvious, but I pay for a significant amount of camp every year by myself because I caddy

Also, definitely look into financial aid as someone mentioned above. You'd be surprised how generous camps can be.

Edited by MartyP

I went on financial aid last year. Most camps are happy to help. I know it's expensive, my parents are I are currently arguing about this at home, but the first step for you shpuld be to fill out a financial aid/scholarship application at the camp of your choice. Even if it's only enough to compensate for airfare--like for me last year--it's still some aid. Have you ever looked into Gofundme? Look it up. I would talk to my parents before I sign up but i've heard of many debate kids get funded through this website. Moral of the story: people wanna help ya. Hope everything works out!

also, some big tournaments offer discounts to camps and stuff as a reward for finalists or some rank of placing. For example, this year, Stanford is offering finalists in each Varsity IE event a 50% scholarship to attend the stanford camp in Individual Events while champions in each JV event will receive a 25% scholarship in Individual Events. but idunno if any tournaments that are near you are offering this or if any other debate tournaments are going to offer something like this.

edit: it might will be v hard

Edited by jenxtang

also, some big tournaments offer discounts to camps and stuff as a reward for finalists or some rank of placing. For example, this year, Stanford is offering finalists in each Varsity IE event a 50% scholarship to attend the stanford camp in Individual Events while champions in each JV event will receive a 25% scholarship in Individual Events. but idunno if any tournaments that are near you are offering this or if any other debate tournaments are going to offer something like this.

LOL Do you know how HARD it is to win these tournaments? I think that you'd need about at least 2 years of attending camp and countless hours of practice before anybody is good enough to win a tournament (That one kid in Pace for example, is destroying the national circuit; he's won three octofinal bid tournaments this year; Jeri Brand (<3) won MBA with him last week) - I don't think this is an option unless you were a debater of Harry Aaronsons level as a sophomore 

• Upvote 1

If you live near texas , UT is a pretty good deal for not outrageous prices.

UTNIF was amazing. 10/10, would recommend 

I say just ask for cash that kid Joe - i think that might be a better idea , just ask for 1000 at a time 

but then its like you owe money to people you know, which looks bad

I don't know if this is true of other areas but I know that some camps offer discounts to my team, I would ask your coach if he knows any good camps that offer discounts.