reptece

How to get good

Hello, this is my first year in policy and I want to get good. I was wondering how much dedication it takes to get good at debate, like how many hours do you people put in to debate a week? And how do you balance debate out with your school work? Any answer will help, thank you.

• Upvote 2

A lot

30-40+

I don't. Someone on the team has asked me about five times now if I ever do work for my classes. (I do, but jokes on them because I just write about Deleuze in my papers)

same 

• Upvote 3

You "get good" by working so much that you don't ever wanna work again and then you work some more. You're highlighting, researching, block-writing, etc pretty much all the time. I work a few hours every day. For the love of god though, do practice debates and speeches. All that other stuff won't help if you turn stupid the minute you enter a round. Trust me. Been there done that.

In summary, just work as hard as you can and put forth your best effort and make sure you don't fail all your classes in school. You at least need Ds, but you can finish with good grades if you become really good at pulling grades up at the end of the term like I do.(ace your finals, do bonus crap, make up the crap you missed from tournaments, etc) Also, be prepared to lose every bit of a social life you had with outsiders.

• Upvote 1

Honestly friend it takes a lot of passion and dedication. I can tell you hundreds of stories about how many times I've wanted to quit, but didn't.

I broke out of novice my 3rd tournament when I was a freshman. I've been debating varisty (or open) since. At Berkeley last year I had a huge shock bc I thought I was good and then when I was up against kids in varisty who really knew what they were doing, i got my butt handed to me all but one round.

I'm now a sophomore and put in about 2 hours after school every day, with the exception of Fridays when my partner and I get together and spend nearly 5 hours prepping. Then on weekends it varies but most weekends I probably spend around 8 hours prepping.

I think the best advice I can give you is know your evidence. I'm serious. It doesn't matter how much evidence you have but how well you know it. It won't matter if you read a great card in your constructive if you can't explain it in your rebuttal. That being said, take some time to read evidence, even if it's already highlighted by somebody else. Also, highlight and cut your own cards. Uniqueness has gotta stay fresh(:

Lastly the best part about being a debater is the community. Even if you're not good at first, people will like you just bc you are decicated and passionate. Not only that, but they will support you and most people are kind enough to help you by sending you files and stuff. So I guess what I mean by this is make friends. Most debaters are super approachable.

Best of luck!

Edited by carlaramazan

A lot

30-40+

I don't. Someone on the team has asked me about five times now if I ever do work for my classes. (I do, but jokes on them because I just write about Deleuze in my papers)

I write about Nietzsche and/or Freud (it's actually Lacan but I just put Freud because his name carries a lot of connotations for the general public) because they're more widely known; maybe in college I'll go Deleuze and Foucault 

I write about Nietzsche and/or Freud (it's actually Lacan but I just put Freud because his name carries a lot of connotations for the general public) because they're more widely known; maybe in college I'll go Deleuze and Foucault 

Well I have to take intro to psych next semester for one of my gen-ed's so I was planning on having some fun and talking about how the DSM is a dirty lie perpetuated by the pharmaceutical industry or something like that (not in a paper though). Bruce Fink actually does this near the beginning of A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis

Well I have to take intro to psych next semester for one of my gen-ed's so I was planning on having some fun and talking about how the DSM is a dirty lie perpetuated by the pharmaceutical industry or something like that (not in a paper though). Bruce Fink actually does this near the beginning of A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis

YEAH!!! I remember something like that (you gave the book to read, thanks again <3) - I mess around with essay prompts all the time, the teachers accept it though (I once wrote about the dionysian nature of art and it's role in anarchy - the prompt was about whether or not graffiti ought to be a crime; I got inspiration from the aff CE Byrd GN read at the 2013 TOC in this video:

That was really fun)